PDA

View Full Version : Purple tang attacks

brisco
02-20-2016, 02:19 AM
I just witnessed my purple tang savaging the antenna's (antennae?) on my cleaner shrimp. They have been tank mates for months and I haven't seen any sign of attacks before. The tang is queen of the tank, largest and most expensive fish in my reef and is always patrolling and exerting a little dominance but haven't seen anything like this before. I put in some nori on a clip right away after just to distract (and fill up) the tang....any other suggestions? lots of room in the 100 display, next biggest fish are a flame angle and menanous wrasse.
:sad::question:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-20-2016, 02:34 AM
Place a small mirror next to the tank so the Purple gets distracted chasing its reflection.

Coasting
02-20-2016, 03:18 AM
Place a small mirror next to the tank so the Purple gets distracted chasing its reflection.

+1 Mirrors are great for fish with an attitude. Multiple mirrors works as well, then when they think they've won 1 argument and swim away, rather then going to pick on another fish they catch a glimps of another challenger on another side of the tank (another mirror).
I use this trick on my anthias anytime I add a new fish.

brisco
02-20-2016, 06:26 AM
Gave it a shot with the mirror....haven't seen that chicken, I mean tang since! Lol. Hope he leaves him alone now, permenantly.