PDA

View Full Version : Spa tech or Flex tech tubing

Quinster
10-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Anyone use either of these lines of tubing for their send/return lines to their sump?
The actual name on the hose is
ARROW HOSE & TUBING INC. ARROW-FLO Hg TYPE 9P ID POOL & SPA HOSE
I thought it would give less restrictions due to the fact you could greatly reduce the need for elbows over the use of rigid pipe.

Any Opinions?
Quinn

UnderWorldAquatics
10-27-2004, 06:25 PM
I use alot of it, for returns too

Quinster
10-27-2004, 06:54 PM
UnderWorldAquatics
Did you notice any results, good or bad with the flow?

UnderWorldAquatics
10-27-2004, 07:32 PM
it can increase flow dramatically!

a 5 elbow pipe run compared to a flex pvc or sweep elbow pipe run can yeild a 30% flow increase, and a 20% or so savings in electricity

Corey
10-28-2004, 07:40 PM
what does tubing like that cost, and does it make the system quieter

UnderWorldAquatics
10-28-2004, 07:58 PM
depending on diameter, it runs about $0.20-$3.00 per foot, and it can reduce noise a fair bit depending on the application

Quinster
10-28-2004, 09:11 PM
ok UnderWorldAquatics I don't want to step on any toes but placed the same topic on Reef Central and am getting the complete opposite opinion on this stuff.

reeftechie

"You know I have noticed a lot of flow restriction with this stuff. Not sure why but for some reason it just restricts the flow.. Anyone else notice this?"

Quinster

"I thought it would give less restrictions due to the fact you could greatly reduce the need for elbows over the use of rigid pipe"

reeftechie

"I thought the same thing. but i dont think its true. for some reason it was not as strong when I used PVC."

GotReef95

"I buy 1.5" pool suction hose from poolsupply shop in 40ft sections for about 35bucks they also have replacement cuffs for about 2.50ea. works great since sump and fuge are in a different room but it does restrict flow quite a bit because of the corrugated hose. makes it easy to move things if need to."

Wierd...don't know if I should go with it or not....can get it pretty cheap so it wouldn't hurt that bad if I don't like it...

UnderWorldAquatics
10-28-2004, 09:31 PM
they must be talking about the type with internal ribs, the stuff I use is smooth on the interior wall as well as the exterior wall and comes in white, cream, and black, it glues up with standard flex pvc glue, I suggest to use primer of course

it is used in many aquaculture applications and especially where effiency is required to reduce operating costs

UnderWorldAquatics
10-28-2004, 09:34 PM
http://www.poolandspa.com/catalog/images/spp-FLEX-75.jpg

it is smooth on the interior

UnderWorldAquatics
10-28-2004, 09:34 PM
http://www.poolandspa.com/catalog/images/spp-FLEX-10.jpg

UnderWorldAquatics
10-28-2004, 09:38 PM
http://www.seacoast.nb.ca/PlumbingFlexHose.jpg

Richer
10-28-2004, 09:40 PM
That looks mighty intriging... I suppose you can get this stuff at pool/spa places?

-Richer

UnderWorldAquatics
10-28-2004, 09:51 PM
you can get it at pool and spa places, you can get it at "good" pond places, and you can get it from aquaculture suppliers

Quinster
10-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Ya that is the same stuff in my hand right now....ok you talked me into it....will post findings over the next couple of weeks :lol:

Dabbler
10-29-2004, 01:31 AM
That looks mighty intriging... I suppose you can get this stuff at pool/spa places?

-Richer

I know AI carries it, if you have trouble finding it :smile:

Richer
10-29-2004, 04:22 AM
AI tends to rip people off whenever they can... when it comes to equipement, I try to avoid that place at all times.
Livestock on the other hand is a different matter :razz:

-Richer

UnderWorldAquatics
10-29-2004, 05:05 AM
AI tends to rip people off whenever they can... when it comes to equipement, I try to avoid that place at all times.
Livestock on the other hand is a different matter :razz:

-Richer

not to start a fight, but that is a pretty inapropriate comment.....
they are trying to make a living, and if that means they need to have prices that are higher than your favorite online store, so be it! your local store has overhead and customer serviceand convience, your favorite online store has no stock usually and will usually dropship hardgoods from a larger warehouse(USA)

please dont even begin to defend your favorite online store

sorry this is a huge sore spot for me in this industry.....

you dont want to get me started!!!

Richer
10-29-2004, 05:10 AM
Perhaps I should have been more clear, I was referring to equipment that I can get via a store that specializes in that certain area (ie. getting spa hose from a spa/pool store). I never even mentioned online stores. Comparing an online store to a local store is like comparing apples and oranges... both are good, but in their own ways.

Another thing, that part about ripping people off, was mostly in jest (though some things there are a rip). Hard to tell moods via the internet.

-Richer

UnderWorldAquatics
10-29-2004, 05:20 AM
sorry, the vauge comment came across abit misleading....

I have found that pool and spa hose is best purchased either wholesale or retail at a irrigation store, pond supplier, or aquaculture supplier.....

hose that would cost me $2.80/ft at the pool/spa place, will cost me $0.45/ft at the local irrigation supplier....

I happen to do specality plumbing for the largest local high end pool and spa business, I would not reccomend getting supplies from a pool and spa place! not cost efficient!!!

Invigor
10-29-2004, 05:32 AM
i picked up some of this "tiger flex" from a pond shop here in regina, I can't remember what I paid for it. I only bought about 6'.

jgoldsney
10-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Check this out....

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11029&highlight=greggs

Quinster
10-29-2004, 03:01 PM
I knew it was on here before....just couldn't find the thread...
now with pics it confirms that is the hose in question!

Thanks jgoldsney

Dabbler
10-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Richer I know this hobby isn't the cheapest thing around. I also try to save cash when I can, but some one asked where to find it and I said "that I know AI has it", I didn't say it was cheap there. For some of us that work all day (10-12 hours) some times on the weekends your choices are limited. I can't make it to "Greggs" during the weekday so I would need another option, spa places (I would have to check) but if they are only open till 6...I'm screwed also. OK there goes most of the "wholsale" places. Now fish stores; Petsmart, Petcetra, Superpet, Dad's and I think Big Al's(correct me if I am wrong)..don't carry this stuff either. AI does, they also carry PVC fittings none of ther other fish stores do,. Yes the prices are higher on some of it, but they are open 9:00 PM (and for my bonus they are close to my house). I don't always shop by price, I also shop where I get service.

Ok I'll get of my box now

jgoldsney
10-29-2004, 03:30 PM
dabbler...just a thought, I don't know where you work but I bet you could get stuff delivered from greggs....If I remember correctly Runners only charges like $12.00 for delivery in town.

Just a thought,

Joel

muck
10-29-2004, 03:38 PM
If you want to talk couriers... :mrgreen:

Matt's Express charges $4.50.
Cheapest Ive found, and we use in town couriers all the time.

jgoldsney
10-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Heck it would almost cost me that much in gas...

That is CHEAP!!!

muck
10-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Heck it would almost cost me that much in gas...

That is CHEAP!!!
Although I think to deliver to the park is a little more... :razz:

Dabbler
10-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Greggs delivers right to my shop, but thats not the point I was trying to make. Some people complane that there LFS doesn't do enuf for them and here I am pointing out one that carry's stuff no one else does. To get a courer to deliver it it would cost more depending on how much you buy. 6' at greggs $6.48 or 6' at AI for $11.94...not that much difference. Now if you were to buy 50' thats a different story. Some times it pays to support your LFS.

Richer
10-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Who said anything about AI not doing enough? As I said before, most of what I said was in jest... but the fact is, AI does charge more for stuff, and I know they have a reason for it (my father is in business afterall). Everything I stated pretained to me, no one else. You have the right to shop at AI for equipment, and so does everyone else (why else would AI have been around for so long?). I'm a student, so on top of tuition, books, and life in general, I'm more strapped for cash than the average person. For these reasons alone, I will do whatever I can to save an extra penny. Please don't knock me for that.

-Richer