PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish started to breed.......

incept
02-19-2016, 07:07 AM
Hey all, thanks for reading. I have a pair of Ocelaris that decided to start to breed. Female is an orange and the male is a black. Just got home from being at work for a few days and was checking the tank and noticed a big ol' clutch of eggs hanging out with the proud parents doing their maternal thing. Cool right? I thought so as well, as did my wife and kids. Naturally my kids who are 11, 6 and 4 as well as my wife want to try to raise them. Soooo, I have spent the last 6 hours on the internet reading and learning. Still have a loonnnnggggggg way to go and realize that hopefully the fish continue to "get along" and continue doing their thing so after the next three clutches or so I can try to rear a batch and have a good learning experience with the kids. I am looking for some advice of course which will gladly be taken and am wondering where my options are to get some phyto and rotifiers to start working with and establishing. I'm located by Cardston just South of Lethbridge and have no issue making the journey to Calgary if needed. This is a new venture for me, the tank is about 2.25 years old and I'm kinda surprised they are laying eggs. Just a few weeks ago my wife was asking me if they ever started to lay if we would try to raise the fry and I was like, "nawwwwww". My how things change when the kids are interested in something. As long as we can learn and the kids get involved and have fun with it I'm game, just very green with htis kind of thing. Sorry for the rambling and thanks in advance for the thoughts and help!

Jordon
02-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Congrats!

I was just reading up on this a few days back, and was wondering if mine would ever breed, and then read that the female won't generally until 2-2.5 yrs old (my guys are only about 6 months right now)

Pickle over @ Nano-Reef posted a great guide that may be helpful: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/269202-pickles-guide-to-breeding-clowns/