View Full Version : new methods

bowkry
02-16-2016, 03:19 AM
i have been away from reefing for about 3 years what are some of the new methods for controlling phosphates and nitrates. I used to run zeovit and all sorts of other methods. I was just wondering what the new famdangled methods are

Ryanerickson
02-16-2016, 03:29 AM
Tim t sells phos down hear it works well lot cheaper then rowa or zeo

whatcaneyedo
02-16-2016, 03:59 AM
Organic carbon dosing, biopellets, macro algae refugiums, cryptic refugiums, mangroves, deep sand beds, algae turf scrubbers, zeolit, live rock, sulfur denitrifier, wet/dry trickle filter, under gravel filter, protein skimmer, denitrification reactors, granular ferric oxide, phos down, praying to Poseidon... do we really need another method? I've yet to see anyone empty an all tridanca clam refugium. So I guess there might be that.

hunggi74
02-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Actually, there's a fellow in Richmond who is striving towards a clams only no other filtration needed method. He has clams of all sizes and one the size of a basketball... Could've worked, but he's got 50 fish so he's going to have to add more clams.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-16-2016, 04:10 PM
I use Hydroton in my sump for Nitrates (works great) and PhosDown for phosphate control.

I would love to have a clam-based refugium but don't have thousands of dollars lying around.

brisco
02-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Okay so two questions: Do you use Phosdown the same way as RowaPhos, in a phosban type reactor?

Never heard of the clam method, is there some science behind this? How does it work?

Okay so that's 3 questions:neutral:

The Guy
02-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Okay so two questions: Do you use Phosdown the same way as RowaPhos, in a phosban type reactor?

Never heard of the clam method, is there some science behind this? How does it work?

Okay so that's 3 questions:neutral:I use 2-3 drops daily directly into the display tank to control phosphates and it seems to work very well. :smile: the amount used depends on your system size.
My answer to question 3 is apparently it works well if you have loads of money to buy all the clams. :lol:

whatcaneyedo
02-16-2016, 06:31 PM
I got the suggestion from the book Giant Clams In The Sea And The Aquarium by James Fatherree. Nitrate has to be supplemented when they are aquacultured because in mass they do a thorough job of stripping it from the water.

Aptasia could also be used in a refugium because its so good at consuming waste from the water column. I think some people who raise the Aptasia eating nudibranchs culture it like that. So theres another less conventional one that we could all afford. Any takers?

GoFish
02-16-2016, 08:46 PM
I think they're referring to "Foz down". Not sure if the supplier list has expanded or where to get it. Last I read was that Bill (monocus) has some as well as Fijirock.com
:wink:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-16-2016, 09:55 PM
I think they're referring to "Foz down". Not sure if the supplier list has expanded or where to get it. Last I read was that Bill (monocus) has some as well as Fijirock.com
:wink:

You're right.

TimT
02-16-2016, 10:22 PM
I have recently updated the Foz Down web page with the stores that carry it for sale. Here is the updated page.
http://www.oceanfreshaquarium.com/foz-down.html

For people in the Langley, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Hope area you can purchase directly. If there is no local store to you I believe Eli(Fiji Reef Rock) ships as well as myself.

I have seen clam filters successfully used. The 150 gallon system had over 50 large clams and a ton of fish with no algae problems.

duncangweller
02-16-2016, 10:27 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160216/5bb83658e6e2ed9e05c289607d0de673.jpg

Just picked some up from king eds.

Let's give it a try.

e46er
02-17-2016, 04:19 AM
^how much?

WarDog
02-17-2016, 04:25 AM
http://www.oceanfreshaquarium.com/foz-down.html

duncangweller