PDA

View Full Version : Fish like music?

JTrigger
10-27-2004, 01:37 AM
LoL, k, dumb question, but you know how they talk about plants needing to be talked to and exposing them to classical music and all that jazz...

Anyone talk to there fish or purposefully expose them to music :)

J

AJ_77
10-27-2004, 02:00 AM
I think it's a good idea - there must be some rhythms in nature that they're missing out on. I don't think the hum of pumps quite replaces that... :mrgreen:

BMW Rider
10-27-2004, 02:20 AM
I'm not sure if Led Zeppelin is quite what you'd find in nature either :biggrin: And deffinitly not the Jaws theme :eek:

Quinn
10-27-2004, 03:15 AM
While obviously fish can hear (the research shows this) and become stressed by sounds (loud volumes), to say they have any ability to "enjoy" sounds is pretty far-fetched. The quality/quantity of "enjoyment" or "happiness" is difficult to quantify at all in any animal. If there is any benefit to pairing fish with music, I think it would be the potential of the aquarist to associate good music with tending to their aquarium and the associated increase in general wellbeing of the tank one could expect. So if there is any relationship between music and fish health, I would attribute it to this third factor. On the same topic, for what it's worth, I have sometimes heard in the past and repeated that only certain specific animals actually "enjoy" sex. I checked into this a while back and found that it's a myth, obviously we have no real way to test this. So if you were wondering whether it was just chimps or dolphins as well...

JTrigger
10-27-2004, 03:42 AM
Wow, thanks Quinn for that intensely analytical and theoretically research- based response... :biggrin: Awesome!

I actually meant it kind of in a casual, curious way to approach the topic. But it's all good.

JT

Quinn
10-27-2004, 03:59 AM
Sorry, just trying to impress chicks. Have I mentioned I'm a psych dork?

JTrigger
10-27-2004, 04:06 AM
Nah, it's totally kewl Quinn... I'm impressed... do you want to go into psychology or ?

JT

AJ_77
10-27-2004, 04:16 AM
Sorry, just trying to impress chicks.

There's chicks here?!? :eek:

Quinn
10-27-2004, 04:17 AM
Yeah I'm probably going to do either what's called cognitive ergonomics/human factors, or industrial-organizational psychology, both completely unrelated to therapy/clinical psychology. I am gearing up for my undergraduate thesis, hopefully will wrap up the degree in the summer of 2006 and apply for grad school in Calgary or the US. Although I'm taking a class taught by a primatologist right now and am quite intrigued. Monkeys rock.

Alan, you never know. They're pretty sneaky.

monza
10-27-2004, 04:23 AM
Teevee said...
only certain specific animals actually "enjoy" sex. I checked into this a while back and found that it's a myth

Maybe you should try again, sometimes the first time is quick, you might learn to "enjoy" it!

Dave

AJ_77
10-27-2004, 04:25 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

oh man, that 's FUNNY...

Quinn
10-27-2004, 04:30 AM
You know new research indicates that Paxil of all things could be helpful with that problem. I'll have to talk to my doctor...

bulletsworld
10-27-2004, 05:19 AM
Aww....JTrigger... cute post. *WINK*

Quinn, just to let you know I was impressed. Hehe

:mrgreen:

danny zubot
10-27-2004, 04:12 PM
My old room mate and I used to have soom pretty loud parties with loud music. Our cichlids (mulitple tanks) used to breed after these howdowns. We soon discovered that the fish were stimulated by the base, becoming arroused and bread almost on command. I'm not sure if marine fish will be affected by the same activity.

I do have an Ocellaris Clown pair, should I relocate my sub by the tank and try it out? :mrgreen: