PDA

View Full Version : foam or not

fishguyxd
10-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Is it recommended to put 1/4 foam insulate between tank and stand and or backgrounds on tank

Chin_Lee
10-27-2004, 12:29 AM
it helps distribute the weight and amongst other things but i would recommend it.

AJ_77
10-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Why do you keep asking the same questions? :confused:

Yes, use foam - the stuff people recommend in the other threads. Backgrounds are a matter of personal preference, but sometimes it helps put fish at ease also. You can also paint the back of your tank blue or black - again, personal preference.

fishguyxd
10-27-2004, 01:53 AM
[quote="AJ_77"]Why do you keep asking the same questions? :confused:

I ask sometimes the same ???'s because I am new and I am trying not to make the mistakes others have and hope others will pitch in there opinion
I can't very well put foam under the tank or background after the tank is setupnd only a couple people anwered the posts sometimes, this is a costly hobby so I want to try to do it write and if you dont want to anwer questions that's your decision but hey sorry for asking I 'll ask at the other site then. :evil:

AJ_77
10-27-2004, 01:58 AM
You seem pretty sensitive - I was just wondering why after getting some decent answers, you ask all over again. Not really a good reason to get all upset.

Sorry if I came across poorly there. I did answer, BTW. I use foam and a background. So do most people, as they have said.

fishguyxd
10-27-2004, 02:35 AM
No I not sensitive I am new to this all and sometimes it just easy to ask online.
I sit here looking at a rr tank and stand not set up and get so many different ideas don't get me wrong I do apprieate responses from yourself and others :confused:

mr_alberta
10-27-2004, 04:31 AM
Backgrounds are totally up to you. Some people put up the paper backgrounds you can buy at the pet stores whereas others (like me) like to paint the back of the tank. Some don't put on a background at all. This is all a personal thing.

As for the foam, I would use the rigid pink foam you can get at Home Depot or Rona that come in sheets. This will help distribute weight and even out the tank if the surface you put the tank on isn't 100% level.

hockey nut
10-27-2004, 07:03 AM
Is there a certain type of paint for the glass?

Doug
10-27-2004, 01:56 PM
I use 1in. white foam under my tanks. However they are all and have been, frameless glass tanks. I would not use foam under a framed tank.

I have seen countless arguments for and against using foam under any tank, as long as it sits on a nice flat bottom.

Is yours framed or not?

I have always painted my back with a blue coloured background.

mr_alberta
10-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Is there a certain type of paint for the glass?

I use a latex paint called "Painter's Touch" found at home depot. I like it because you can get it in a spray can. Just make sure the glass is clean and residue free or you'll get wierd spots and bubbles. If you don't like spray paints, then you can apply a latex paint with a brush or roller.

hockey nut
10-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Thank you

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-29-2004, 06:48 PM
Just make sure the foam is right to the edge or sticks out a little for even weight distribution. Welcome to the money pit, uhm, I mean hobby :razz: :rolleyes: