PDA

View Full Version : lighting

Invigor
10-26-2004, 08:33 PM
for lighting tempuratures, 10k, 14k, 20k, 6.7k etc. are we not trying to simulate the same tempurature of light found at the depth as the corals naturally grow? ie clams and anemones grow closer to the surface, therefore needing closer to daylight color 6.7k, so on and so forth? What ever happened to that? now it seems people buy lights cuz they "look cool, I like the blue!"

StirCrazy
10-26-2004, 11:42 PM
for lighting temperatures, 10k, 14k, 20k, 6.7k etc. are we not trying to simulate the same tempurature of light found at the depth as the corals naturally grow? ie clams and anemones grow closer to the surface, therefore needing closer to daylight color 6.7k, so on and so forth? What ever happened to that? now it seems people buy lights cuz they "look cool, I like the blue!"

exactly. :mrgreen: basically any bulb 250 watt etc is going to give you more than enuf power in a 24" or less tank to provide the lighting needs for most critters on the bottom of the tank (there are a few exceptions to this but I won't go into it.

the reason for this is mostly turbidity, for the most parts our tanks are a lot cleaner in suspended solids than the ocean so they filter the light out to a lesser degree. If I can find a water proof holder for my multi meter I am going to take my PAR meter to Hawaii next time and try to measure the readings at different depth. Also while the tropic sun may be 6700K that is at the equator at noon at the surface of the water, be for and after this the incidental angle of the sun causes more of the shorter wave lengths to be reflected from the surface resulting in a higher kelvin rating in shallow water. I have been in Hawaii to many times to count and I can tell you as little as 10 feet under the surface there is already a blue hue to the water from the light.

from my own adventures with lights I have determined that in my opinion once you reach a irradiation level that is suitable for the corals anything after that is gravy and for ascetic purposes. so if a 14K bulb or a 20K bulb will meat your requirements why not have the good looks also.

Steve