PDA

View Full Version : I might need IN PERSON skimmer help! - South Poco

Coasting
02-11-2016, 04:07 PM
So I guess this is one of the downsides of not living in the same house as your reef tank.... ah well.

I got a phone call from my dad last night, he did his usual skimmer maintainence and when he went to plug it back in, it stopped working.
Its a Vertex 150. Its getting close to 3 years old I think.... so it could very well be the pump....

I've given him instructions on what to do to try and get it working, as we've had many pumps and filters in the past that don't start up after they've been turned off.... for whatever stupid reason.

If he cant get it working over the phone with me when he pulls everything out on the weekend, I may need somebody to stop by and help him figure out if the pump is toast or I need an new impeller or whatever.

If I end up needing somebody to come by, I can pay that person with a frag of something when I'm back in march. I'm not sure what will be fraggable by then, but perhaps we can work something out? Most of my Hammers are always fraggable ;)

But I may not need anyone, and he may be able to get it working. But I just want to cover my ass and have somebody lined up for help, just in case!
So if there is somebody local and close by even better! I know there's a few of you Poco folk floating around.
I used to have John from poco come by to help my parents in case of disaster, he set up the skimmer with them when it arrived and I wasn't around, but I think he's stepped out of the reef game.

hillegom
02-11-2016, 04:45 PM
Sorry I can't help
But have you tried putting something into the intake and giving that impeller a flip/turn?
I have used a flexible zip tie to do that on some unresponsive pumps and they have started right up. (touching wood)

Coasting
02-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Not yet. Hes going to pull the skimmer out on Saturday and play with it. My HOB filter on my goldfish tank is like that, you have to give the pump a jumpstart sometimes.
So we've got some trial and error to do over the phone, of course I'm working on Saturday so knowing my luck we'll get called out and I cant even do that.
I do like that zip tie idea however! Will be using that idea if it is just that, needing a jumpstart. Its an aweful big skimmer in a tiny 20g sump lol, so there isn't a whole lot of room for hands to play with things in the sump.

But that's why I may or may not need in person help. If he trys all the typical stuff to get it going, then I might need somebody to pop by and help!

rishu_pepper
02-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Is it a Vertex Omega 150? I have experience using that skimmer and I live near Coquitlam Centre (I know John too, he got me in the game previously).

Anyway, if no one steps up, I'd be willing to lend a hand.

Coasting
02-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Yes Omega 150.
Our place is near Kilmer Elementary, coq centers like 10 mins away if traffics nice.

I just want to make sure i have help lined up for my dad if we cant problem solve over the phone saturday.

And it might be nice to have another close by reefers number for 911 calls if something happens and he needs help.
Vancouver islands a bit too far away for me to drop everything and rush over lol.

Ryanerickson
02-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Another option if your dad can't get going with help
Is to take it to Jl I'm sure they can fix or replace if needed

Coasting
02-11-2016, 10:39 PM
Another option if your dad can't get going with help
Is to take it to Jl I'm sure they can fix or replace if needed

Yeah thatll probably be the next step.
Knowing my luck id get an over the phone eye roll haha.

I really really hoping its just the impeller needing a boost.
But it might help to have another set of eyes that knows what their looking at.

What are some good replacement pumps if it is the pump? Theres usually more then 1 option right?
Its not going to be one of those... cheaper to buy a whole new skimmer is it?

gobytron
02-12-2016, 06:09 PM
I can help.

Pm or text me.

Coasting
02-13-2016, 05:02 PM
Thanks you 2, I will let one of you guys know later when he pulls the thing out of the sump if we need some in person help :)

Coasting
02-14-2016, 12:02 AM
so we got it working. He thinks it was the impeller. Says the red part on that piece seems "worn" on one side. Its now much noisier then it used to be. But running.

Jeeze replacement impellers are $80, wows....
Not sure if that's even it or not.... but its working and skimming so... fingers crossed it can handle surviving for awhile longer?