PDA

View Full Version : Near miss, and saved by J&L

The Guy
02-09-2016, 03:23 PM
While doing my pump maintenance I discovered a badly cracked & swollen impellor armature on one of the rear sump pumps, of course it was the larger more expensive one, Off to J&L and hoped they could help me out, the pump is made by Sicci for Red Sea. Thanks again J&L for having the exact replacement Impellor in stock. :biggrin: Need I say more.

Ace Storman
02-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Laurie, could be worse, pump could of been a Red Dragon...$200+ for that one :surprise:

The Guy
02-09-2016, 06:55 PM
Laurie, could be worse, pump could of been a Red Dragon...$200+ for that one :surprise:
Bad enough paying $87.95 + taxes for the impeller
, but a lot cheaper than replacing the whole pump :lol:

brisco
02-14-2016, 12:25 AM
What is it with red dragon anyway...how come they are so expensive to replace? Mine is running well for now....

hillegom
02-14-2016, 12:30 AM
It would come from across the big pond in the east

brisco
02-14-2016, 04:15 AM
I thought everything was made in China these days, especially with a name like Red Dragon! lol

The Guy
02-14-2016, 07:05 AM
I thought everything was made in China these days, especially with a name like Red Dragon! lol

Well not Sicci pumps there made in Italy. :lol:

Aquattro
02-14-2016, 01:10 PM
What is it with red dragon anyway...how come they are so expensive to replace? Mine is running well for now....

The "red dragon" BK Mini pumps are simply rebranded Laguna/Askoll pumps. Those are about $150 retail, I'm guessing. Then BK adds their own sticker to it, that adds a few cents on. For the skimmers, they then add a custom volute, which probably incurred decent R&D costs, so now double the Laguna cost. Add some profit, re-shipping back to where the Lagunas started from, it all adds up.

The Guy
02-14-2016, 03:26 PM
The "red dragon" BK Mini pumps are simply rebranded Laguna/Askoll pumps. Those are about $150 retail, I'm guessing. Then BK adds their own sticker to it, that adds a few cents on. For the skimmers, they then add a custom volute, which probably incurred decent R&D costs, so now double the Laguna cost. Add some profit, re-shipping back to where the Lagunas started from, it all adds up.

The Red Sea pump is made by Sicci and rebranded so I was able to use the Sicci replacement impeller from a #3 pump which has exactly the same the flow rating. Not cheap but cheaper than a new pump replacement. :smile:

Aquattro
02-14-2016, 03:37 PM
The Red Sea pump is made by Sicci and rebranded so I was able to use the Sicci replacement impeller from a #3 pump which has exactly the same the flow rating. Not cheap but cheaper than a new pump replacement. :smile:

Ya, I bought a Laguna block for a third of the cost of a RD replacement. Same damn pump.

brisco
02-14-2016, 10:02 PM
The RD pump on my Alpha 170 (bought used) was giving some surging problems, but it seems to be okay now, priced out a new impeller.....whoa!:sad: I just hope it keeps ticking.