PDA

View Full Version : 180 Gallon Starfire Aquarium Cost

itsmeraja86
02-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Hi All,

I did my research on what items to buy for my planned 180 gallon(72x24x24).

1st question is which is the best place to buy startfire aquarium(front and two sides as startfire) and back will be a long ghost refugium.

How much would be the approximate cost of the 180 gallon starfire aquarium?

I saw a really good ghost refugium in Reefsavvy however is this available in Canada as well? if so place to buy?

will i be able to get the Starfire aquarium with ghost refugium at the long(back) side of the tank?

riceboy
02-08-2016, 11:05 PM
I would give concept aquariums a call, they do custom tanks and can do that quite easily, I had my custom tank built by them and have had no complaints.

itsmeraja86
02-08-2016, 11:13 PM
I would give concept aquariums a call, they do custom tanks and can do that quite easily, I had my custom tank built by them and have had no complaints.

Thanks for the quick response.. I just checked the site and looks this company is at Alberta... I live in Mississauga so not sure if they will be able to do one for me...

riceboy
02-08-2016, 11:35 PM
they do ship all across canada

WarDog
02-08-2016, 11:48 PM
Miracles Aquariums is somewhere in Ontario, it's a small province right?

corpusse
02-08-2016, 11:54 PM
Miracles is another option that is local but there is no reason you can`t buy from concepts they ship all over. Another local option would be north american fish breeders or primo reef acrylics (builds glass tanks).

Aquattro
02-09-2016, 12:00 AM
Miracles Aquariums is somewhere in Ontario, it's a small province right?

You could walk across it in a few hours..

spit.fire
02-09-2016, 12:14 AM
You could walk across it in a few hours..

I hear its cold

itsmeraja86
02-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Thanks guys i will give all three a call and get a quote for my 180

Scythanith
02-09-2016, 02:32 AM
Cost of glass have gone up significantly due to exchange rate. Prepare yourself!

itsmeraja86
02-09-2016, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the heads up..

As a matter of fact cost of each and every product has gone up.. my budget has to be altered.. Since i am currently running a 29G barebottom without a Sump.. this 180 is a whole different ball game.. water change of 10% is over 50% of my current volume .. and sump is new to me.. Siphon and reverse siphon when power outage.. reading all about the fail safe .. options for closed loop or wave makers... all readings is in process for about 4 months now.. any help is much appreciated..

corpusse
02-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Cost of glass have gone up significantly due to exchange rate. Prepare yourself!

Ouch. I always thought glass was made in Canada that's why there are no acrylic tank makers here because glass is so much cheaper here vs in the US...

gmann
02-09-2016, 04:42 PM
Ouch. I always thought glass was made in Canada that's why there are no acrylic tank makers here because glass is so much cheaper here vs in the US...

why sell here when you can sell down there for more.

itsmeraja86
02-11-2016, 01:57 AM
I am in the process of requesting quotes from the Miracle aquarium, Primoreefacrylic and concept aquarium. I know what size of the tank i would need 72x24x24 however the major question is around how many Drain holes and size as well as how many return holes and size of the hole required.

This might be a dumb question but since i am running a sumpless system i have no idea what is ideal and good solution .

Also Internal overflow vs external overflow ( i liked the left right corner internal overflow but not sure if that has any drawbacks).

I am also needing guidance on fail safe overflow options like drilling a 3/4" hole just above the waterline to have water reverse siphon only limited water that can be accomodated by my sump.

One last question is how big of a sump i need for this 180(72x24x24)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-11-2016, 05:10 AM

I have a similar size display and I have never regretted going with a 90g wide sump (48x24x18 tall). Lots of space to hold skimmers, media reactors, filter socks, macroalgae, return pump, etc. Also no issue with overflowing a big sump when you shut off the return pump and your system drains a bit into the sump.

iamfrontosa
02-11-2016, 06:23 AM
I am in the process of requesting quotes from the Miracle aquarium, Primoreefacrylic and concept aquarium. I know what size of the tank i would need 72x24x24 however the major question is around how many Drain holes and size as well as how many return holes and size of the hole required.

This might be a dumb question but since i am running a sumpless system i have no idea what is ideal and good solution .

Also Internal overflow vs external overflow ( i liked the left right corner internal overflow but not sure if that has any drawbacks).

I am also needing guidance on fail safe overflow options like drilling a 3/4" hole just above the waterline to have water reverse siphon only limited water that can be accomodated by my sump.

You don't want to drill above the water line, or else water will be shooting out everywhere when the pump is running. You shouldn't even need to drill holes for back siphon if you tank is built correctly.

Your return line should not be too low (below water line) that your sump can not handle all the extra volume when the pump is shut off. If you order from Dave (Concepts), you can just let him know what you want, say a Herbie system (same as mine). I went with internal centre overflow. I like the clean look. But my next tank will be external. Just so I will have more room inside the tank.

You can let him know which return pump you will be running, and Dave can take care of the plumping headaches for you. You might as well order sump from Dave if you are going to use him anyway.

He usually draws up a nice sketch before the build for your review.

By the way, I am not working for Concepts. I am just another customer that bought a tank, sump, stand, and plumping from him. I was in your shoes too. I had the exact same questions as you. Good luck !

itsmeraja86
02-11-2016, 12:06 PM
I have a similar size display and I have never regretted going with a 90g wide sump (48x24x18 tall). Lots of space to hold skimmers, media reactors, filter socks, macroalgae, return pump, etc. Also no issue with overflowing a big sump when you shut off the return pump and your system drains a bit into the sump.

ok.. I red in few forums that tall is not a ideal sump set up coz longer it is more usable room than just water capacity.. but if i have enough room under the tank .. i would definitely go for a 90G sump

itsmeraja86
02-11-2016, 12:08 PM
You don't want to drill above the water line, or else water will be shooting out everywhere when the pump is running. You shouldn't even need to drill holes for back siphon if you tank is built correctly.

Your return line should not be too low (below water line) that your sump can not handle all the extra volume when the pump is shut off. If you order from Dave (Concepts), you can just let him know what you want, say a Herbie system (same as mine). I went with internal centre overflow. I like the clean look. But my next tank will be external. Just so I will have more room inside the tank.

You can let him know which return pump you will be running, and Dave can take care of the plumping headaches for you. You might as well order sump from Dave if you are going to use him anyway.

He usually draws up a nice sketch before the build for your review.

By the way, I am not working for Concepts. I am just another customer that bought a tank, sump, stand, and plumping from him. I was in your shoes too. I had the exact same questions as you. Good luck !

Awesome.. i will give them a call and update how it went...

itsmeraja86
02-11-2016, 07:48 PM
I tried getting quote from Concept aquarium, primo reef acrylics, Miracle and few other local stores.

only had success with Primo rest of them are busy and can giv eme quote only late next week.

Here is the quote he told.

Tank:
180(72x24x24)
19mm bottom
12mm walls
starphire front
-dual internal overflow
-inside bottom euro braces 2"
- 3.5" top eurobraces
Price -$2000
wihtout starphire - $1800
cost to cost overflow custom CNC - $300

Sump:(Acrylic)
40x20x18(62G)
-3/8" Walls
-3/8" baffles
Price: $950

ATO (5"x20"x18")- $300
Shipping -$100

Thoughts on the price please..

any good place for custom aquarium stand (including the top) looking for something that covers top and side.

gmann
02-11-2016, 08:04 PM
concept should be able to beat that. Shipping might be your issue though.

I paid similar to what you got quoted. Just be prepared to go over budget.

dave_C
02-11-2016, 08:10 PM
I tried getting quote from Concept aquarium, primo reef acrylics, Miracle and few other local stores.

only had success with Primo rest of them are busy and can giv eme quote only late next week.

Here is the quote he told.

Tank:
180(72x24x24)
19mm bottom
12mm walls
starphire front
-dual internal overflow
-inside bottom euro braces 2"
- 3.5" top eurobraces
Price -$2000
wihtout starphire - $1800
cost to cost overflow custom CNC - $300

Sump:(Acrylic)
40x20x18(62G)
-3/8" Walls
-3/8" baffles
Price: $950

ATO (5"x20"x18")- $300
Shipping -$100

Thoughts on the price please..

any good place for custom aquarium stand (including the top) looking for something that covers top and side.

did you ask for 19mm glass and the added bottom brace?

if you did you are throwing money away lol way over kill for this size tank

itsmeraja86
02-11-2016, 08:51 PM
did you ask for 19mm glass and the added bottom brace?

if you did you are throwing money away lol way over kill for this size tank

No i did not ask for 19mm bottom.. it was all his specifications.. i only told dimensions , overflow preference, type of material.. the size of the glass was his recommendation...

dave_C
02-11-2016, 10:29 PM
No i did not ask for 19mm bottom.. it was all his specifications.. i only told dimensions , overflow preference, type of material.. the size of the glass was his recommendation...

all you need is 12 mm for that tank, that is a stock size that everyone and their dogs will build out off 12 mm glass every day of the year :lol:

just a rough guess but it should be no more than 1400 for what you are looking for

corpusse
02-11-2016, 11:07 PM
I've only seen one primo tank in real life, it was a very nice tank though. It actually was a 180 but I think 72x30x20 or something along those lines. If you are going to go for a custom tank maybe try some custom dimensions.

That being said I have a cheapo run of the mill marineland 180 reef ready tank. If you need some advice or just want to see a plumbed tank you are welcome to come by and I can show you some of the mistakes I have made. I'm also in Mississauga. I'm out of town this weekend and so it would have to wait a week or 2. Feel free to PM me.

iamfrontosa
02-12-2016, 01:29 AM
I also dont think you need bottom brace. My tank from Concepts was 60x24x22. One piece Eurobrace. Central overflow plumbed for Herbie. Three sides starphire. I paid $2000 (i think). Very beautiful tank. Your quote for the sump $ 950 is a bit much i think. You can build one cheaper. Makes sure you get two filter socks of 7" diameter.

I would wait to get quote from Concepts.

itsmeraja86
02-12-2016, 01:36 AM
thanks I actually got a quote from concept couple of hours back
Tank -$1300(front starphire , eurobrace, central overflow, 1 drain 1 emergency and 1 return)

Sump $260
Shipping - $280

so including everything Concept's quote is - $1840

e46er
02-12-2016, 03:43 AM
I got quoted for a 72x24x30 tank from concepts for MUCH cheeper than that......

I'd pass on the sumo and ATO myself.
You can build a dump yourself in a couple hours and $150 and the ATO sounds expensive you can buy pre made glass tanks for much less.

iamfrontosa
02-12-2016, 08:32 AM
thanks I actually got a quote from concept couple of hours back
Tank -$1300(front starphire , eurobrace, central overflow, 1 drain 1 emergency and 1 return)

Sump $260
Shipping - $280

so including everything Concept's quote is - $1840

I do like the clean look of central overflow, but I found the return line to block off the light a little at the middle of the tank. How much would it cost for two overflows like how you would want ? You basically, will end up with 1 drain x2, 1 emergency x2, 1 return x2. I think you return pump would have to be powerful.

My sump from Concepts was 48x22x16. Three compartments. 7" filter socks. For ATO I went to Canadian Tires and bough a 60L Omi Box. I originally wanted to put ATO in the stands, but I ended up putting it outside. I am glad I did, it makes it a lot easier to fill up water.

My stands is 32" tall.

If I have to do it all over again, I would go with central external overflow with 1 drain, 1 emergency and 1 return. But then, I wouldn't be able to put the actual tank closer to the wall; and if the plumbing leaks, I would get water all over our hardwood floor. Then my wife would get really upset. lol

good luck. I think you owe us a build thread.

itsmeraja86
02-12-2016, 12:08 PM
I do like the clean look of central overflow, but I found the return line to block off the light a little at the middle of the tank. How much would it cost for two overflows like how you would want ? You basically, will end up with 1 drain x2, 1 emergency x2, 1 return x2. I think you return pump would have to be powerful.

My sump from Concepts was 48x22x16. Three compartments. 7" filter socks. For ATO I went to Canadian Tires and bough a 60L Omi Box. I originally wanted to put ATO in the stands, but I ended up putting it outside. I am glad I did, it makes it a lot easier to fill up water.

My stands is 32" tall.

If I have to do it all over again, I would go with central external overflow with 1 drain, 1 emergency and 1 return. But then, I wouldn't be able to put the actual tank closer to the wall; and if the plumbing leaks, I would get water all over our hardwood floor. Then my wife would get really upset. lol

good luck. I think you owe us a build thread.

Yeah i initially liked the corner overflows but after did some good reading the surface skimming and one return, one drain , one emergency made me to go with central overflow. Also external will be a bit of a touch and go .. as you said plumbing failure hardwood is gone and my wife would get upset.... so i am going with internal central overflow...

I checked the Reefsavy ghost overflow.. it was really good slim and almost cost to cost for BRS 160 tank however i guess its not built by anyone else for now.. also it must have a hefty price tag on it..

As soon as i get all the parts Build thread will begin !!!!

GMGQ
02-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Tagging along, I'm looking for quotes on pretty much the same 180g setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsmeraja86
02-14-2016, 05:13 PM
I will be getting the quote from Miracle on Tuesday EOD and NAFB's quote is similar to Concept aquarium minus no shipping .. Since its in Scarborough I have to pick it up ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slykat
02-14-2016, 06:53 PM
Got my tank from Miracles this fall. Also a 180g starfire. They were great to deal with, gave me a tour, busy place.
Ask about cancelled orders. They may have something your looking for, at a better price.