PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating temperature probe RKE

Etaloche
02-02-2016, 05:38 PM
So I've had my tank up for about a week now with the reef keeper elite controller. I've had the temps set for 78 and been running stable there. Yesterday I bought some cheapo thermometers to use for mixing salt during wc etc.

The dilemma I have is that the cheap ones are reading temps of 81 and 82 degrees in my tank while my RKE is still registering 78 which is a huge difference. I got the controller second hand so I'm not sure if it's been properly calibrated or not. Is it worth the trouble to try and calibrate the probe on the controller or is if usually safe to say it's relatively accurate compared to the cheap ones.

Does anyone in the Vancouver area have a thermometer that's rated to give out pretty accurate readings I could borrow to calibrate my probe if it's something that's recommended to do?

Coasting
02-02-2016, 06:12 PM
When you picked out the cheapy thermometers, did you pluck 10 off the shelf and compare them all and see what ones were reading the same and what ones were a bit higher or a bit lower?
I learnt that trick with hygrometers for my snakes. There are always some screwed from the factory, so pick a few and compare before purchase.

I cant make any imput on the controller. My tanks old school, i only use one of those cheapy glass thermometers ;) i check what it reads in the tank, then pull that same thermometer out and use it in my buckets when i make new water so i know 100% my new water is the exact same and im not relying on different equipment.

Ryanerickson
02-02-2016, 10:22 PM
I bought a thermometer for this purpose at London drugs on sale for 15 dollars it's pretty accurate for calibrating temp probe on controllers you can borrow but would cost you just as much in gas to get here lol.

Etaloche
02-02-2016, 10:55 PM
When you picked out the cheapy thermometers, did you pluck 10 off the shelf and compare them all and see what ones were reading the same and what ones were a bit higher or a bit lower?
I learnt that trick with hygrometers for my snakes. There are always some screwed from the factory, so pick a few and compare before purchase.

I cant make any imput on the controller. My tanks old school, i only use one of those cheapy glass thermometers ;) i check what it reads in the tank, then pull that same thermometer out and use it in my buckets when i make new water so i know 100% my new water is the exact same and im not relying on different equipment.

They were electronic and I couldn't check unless I pulled the tab for the battery, so I couldn't test them like that :cry:
I figured that keeping a stable temp was more important than the actual temp itself but right now I have the controller on 77 and the temps read 81 which are around the highest and lowest temp recommendation for most livestock which is kinda worrying. Maybe I'm overthinking it being a newbie

I bought a thermometer for this purpose at London drugs on sale for 15 dollars it's pretty accurate for calibrating temp probe on controllers you can borrow but would cost you just as much in gas to get here lol.

I'll definitely have a look around

Coasting
02-03-2016, 01:24 AM
Go to petsmart (or Walmart) and get 2 of the $3 floating glass thermometers. Check them against each other for accuracy. Old school is probably as accurate as youll ever get ;)

Etaloche
02-03-2016, 03:20 AM
Go to petsmart (or Walmart) and get 2 of the $3 floating glass thermometers. Check them against each other for accuracy. Old school is probably as accurate as youll ever get ;)

Inexpensive and simple, great tip! haha

WarDog
02-03-2016, 05:23 AM
Where are you running the probe? In the sump closer to the heater? There will naturally be some temperature difference, however 4 degrees seems pretty steep. I wouldn't be too concerned with running a temp of 78, it's really the amount of fluctuation within a day that you want to avoid. 76 is on the low end, with 82 - 84 being on the high. I wouldn't panic until around 85.

Here's a temperature poll. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98944)