PDA

View Full Version : New sump

corper
10-26-2004, 03:20 AM
Do I have to leave the sump running 24-7 or can it be shut down at night? A total of maybe 8 hours not running.

IslandReefer
10-26-2004, 08:07 AM
My sump contains heaters, skimmer, carbon, kalk tube, temp probe etc.
If the sump (return pump) is turned off:
-carbon,kalk,probes...stop but ok for a few hours.
-no heater.....water cools to RT..liveable, ONCE.
-Skimmer and overflow contribute to most of the oxygenation of the water....sooooo.. How long can you hold your breath?

In all seriousness, it depends on whats in it and its purpose....But generally 24/7
:cool:

corper
10-27-2004, 03:39 AM
Thanks John. I don't know what I was thinking. :confused: It was late when I got it running (the sump) and my wife was complaining about the noise. She didn't even know I left it running during the night. In fact neither did I, even got up lastnight to make sure it was still running.

What level do you keep the water at in your sump? My sump is a 33 gallon and my tank is a 72.

Vagabond
10-27-2004, 04:18 AM
Hi Corper,

My tank is a 62g and my sump is a 33g.

I like to have as much water in my system as possible and still be safe if the power goes out .... so, I shut down my return pump and let the tank drain down to the level of the overflow, allow all the plumbing to drain back into the sump, unplug my protein skimmer (in sump Euroreef).

After everthing has drained out (simulating a power outage) I adjust that water level to about 3 inches from the top of my sump.

I have never had a problem, and it is good to know that if the power ever goes out or my return pump quits the worst that can can happen is I lose flow back to the tank :mrgreen:

corper
10-27-2004, 04:39 AM
Thanks Scott!

Did you ever have problems with your main tank overflowing. My tank seems to fill up faster than it drains. I have a Quiet One 3000 pump with 1 inch pipe as the return. I put a T in the return and have it go back into the tank at opposite ends. I had to add a valve though to slow the flow of water to stop the main tank from overflowing. The hole in my overflow box is 2 inches with 2 inch pipe returning back to the sump.

I bought the overflow box used. It came with 1 inch hole and I drilled it to 2 inches. Is the overflow too small??

The gentleman that sold it to me has a good rep. and told me it would work fine on a 72. He also told me to buy a mag 5 pump and the one I got was a little bigger.

Cory

Aquattro
10-27-2004, 05:57 AM
The teeth may be too narrow on the overflow to allow that much flow. A valve works fine to slow the return.

Vagabond
10-27-2004, 07:54 AM
My tank is RR so the overflow is built into one of the corners and runs
6"x 6" with a 1 1/2 " drain. I return with a Mag 12 on a 3/4" return line that is T'd to two 3/4" returns into the tank. I have never had a problem with the tank over filling, in fact, I could probably go to a Mag 18 if I wanted to increase flow through.

I think Brad has a valid point in the teeth perhaps being too narrow and restricting your flow. There is also a correlation between the strength of your return pump, drain size, and the linear inches of overflow. I have 12" of overflow so it can handle a fair amount of return. Your drain size is more than adequate IMO at 2" so I suspect that yes, it is a shortage linear overflow. You may try a valve as Brad suggested or possibly filing in between the teeth to increase the size of the gap allowing more water through.

HTH