PDA

View Full Version : WC causes skimmer to overflow for days

e46er
01-30-2016, 03:42 PM
So i got a new used skimmer a vertex in280 a few days after the new year I got it dialed in i have a hose with a ball valve coming out of the cup drain. and then did a WC and then it goes nuts and its a constant flow out the drain for days until I readjust the skimmer and its working properly.
Do another WC and same thing it goes nuts and runs for days overflowing.

what would possibly cause this?

the skimmer shuts off with the return pump so the change in sump water level height when the return is off doesnt matter and it stays constant when operating.

Reef Pilot
01-30-2016, 03:51 PM
I have an In-280 and it needs a very precise setting and consistent water level. Too low and you don't get much skim, too high and it overflows. I keep the skimmer inside water level right at the base of the neck. The sump level is at 6.5" and kept constant by a float.

The Guy
01-30-2016, 03:52 PM
I found with my Deltec skimmer the water level really affected it. When I first put it into the sump it was working okish but would go crazy wet skimming after WC's and I was always having to play with it, very frustrating so I lowered the sump level an inch and now it works better than ever. Weird but it did the trick for me. :smile:

gregzz4
01-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Do you use any chlorine remover chemicals in your new salt water?
Do you let the chamber level settle down before turning the skimmer back on?

Myka
01-30-2016, 06:49 PM
What's your source water? RO/DI or dechlorinated tap water?

e46er
01-30-2016, 11:56 PM
I have an In-280 and it needs a very precise setting and consistent water level. Too low and you don't get much skim, too high and it overflows. I keep the skimmer inside water level right at the base of the neck. The sump level is at 6.5" and kept constant by a float.
water level is consistant via baffles
I found with my Deltec skimmer the water level really affected it. When I first put it into the sump it was working okish but would go crazy wet skimming after WC's and I was always having to play with it, very frustrating so I lowered the sump level an inch and now it works better than ever. Weird but it did the trick for me. :smile:
water level doesnt change
Do you use any chlorine remover chemicals in your new salt water?
Do you let the chamber level settle down before turning the skimmer back on?
the return and skimmer turn on at the same time but its leveled out long before the skimmer bubbles hit the neck of the skimmer, and surely its leveled out before a couple days.What's your source water? RO/DI or dechlorinated tap water?
currently tap water since its quite good in the lower mainland. my RODI unit is in my laundry room and Ive overflowed it enough times I just got ****ed off with it since I didn't notice a difference using it or tap water

Myka
01-31-2016, 12:17 AM
currently tap water since its quite good in the lower mainland. my RODI unit is in my laundry room and Ive overflowed it enough times I just got ****ed off with it since I didn't notice a difference using it or tap water

Do you use a dechlorinator when you use tap water? If so, which one? If not, what else besides salt are you adding to the tank or the new saltwater? What type of salt mixing container are you using?

e46er
01-31-2016, 12:24 AM
Do you use a dechlorinator when you use tap water? If so, which one? If not, what else besides salt are you adding to the tank or the new saltwater? What type of salt mixing container are you using?
nothing has changed in the last 4-5 years apart from the skimmer. i use prime
just salt and i test the first batch and adjust the ca/alk / mg as needed. i roll the bucket first to mix it up, same chems Ive been using for years. last time I ordered a batch was probably a year ago but i use them in my dosing and nothing is out of wack. 55Gal plastic drum Ive had for 6-8 years, clean it out id say every 6 months.
my vertex in180 never had this issue. im just dumbfounded what would cause this. the skimmer neck is also clean.

it runs just fine for weeks i shut it off do a WC and 15-20 min later it wont stop overflowing

e46er
01-31-2016, 12:29 AM
i usually do a WC fill up the mixing bucket and have the salt mixing until i do another change and turn the heater on the day or 2 before and exactly match the SG

Myka
01-31-2016, 04:07 AM
nothing has changed in the last 4-5 years apart from the skimmer.

Which skimmer? Have you measured water depth?

MitchM
01-31-2016, 02:52 PM
There can be signifigant water chemistry changes including changes of the properties of surface tension to your aquarium water when doing a water change. It depends on the chemistry difference between exisiting water and new water characteristics.
I would turn off the skimmer for a couple of days after a water change if it is a problem.

e46er
01-31-2016, 11:36 PM
There can be signifigant water chemistry changes including changes of the properties of surface tension to your aquarium water when doing a water change. It depends on the chemistry difference between exisiting water and new water characteristics.
I would turn off the skimmer for a couple of days after a water change if it is a problem.

Well I do WC every 2 weeks so I can't imagine it's drastically different. None of my skimmers in the past have ever done this. Turning it off for a couple days isn't really an option since I'll need to be home when I turn it back on since it's not consistent and I don't want t overflowing
Which skimmer? Have you measured water depth?

From an vertex in180 to vertex in280
8 "water depth

clermont
02-05-2016, 03:01 PM
nothing has changed in the last 4-5 years apart from the skimmer. i use prime
just salt and i test the first batch and adjust the ca/alk / mg as needed. i roll the bucket first to mix it up, same chems Ive been using for years. last time I ordered a batch was probably a year ago but i use them in my dosing and nothing is out of wack. 55Gal plastic drum Ive had for 6-8 years, clean it out id say every 6 months.
my vertex in180 never had this issue. im just dumbfounded what would cause this. the skimmer neck is also clean.

it runs just fine for weeks i shut it off do a WC and 15-20 min later it wont stop overflowing

Prime will do it. I have used Prime exactly twice and both times my skimmer went nuts for a couple days. Try your next change without and my guess is you will not have that problem.

gobytron
02-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Sorry to Hijack, I have been thinking about switching to tap water...have never used anything but ro/di and want to see for myself how tap water is actually different.

Myka, is there a particular dechlorinator you would recco?

Coasting
02-05-2016, 04:17 PM
If youre actually in coquitlam we have great water. Ive used tap water with Prime for the last 4 years. Never had an issue, skimmers fine lol even my old skimmer didnt have issues. Prime causing skimmers to overflow .... thats just funny.

gobytron
02-05-2016, 04:54 PM
I know we've got a really low tds from the buntzen reservoir, I don't miss the water softener i had to use in Alberta.

I'll pick up some prime and do the next few wc with tap.

Sure would make life a little easier.

thanks for the recco.

e46er
02-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Prime will do it. I have used Prime exactly twice and both times my skimmer went nuts for a couple days. Try your next change without and my guess is you will not have that problem.

Usually the prime is put in the mixing bucket and that's 2 weeks before it goes into the tank. The vertex in180 never did this.
I'll try tho and report back.

hillegom
02-05-2016, 09:11 PM
As far as I know, our lower mainland water is only treated with chlorine, a gas that dissipates out of the water all by itself, or faster with an airstone.
Someone a while back posted that the LM does not use chloramines.

I have never used prime as I always mix my water days in advance.