PDA

View Full Version : Fish stores Calgary

Beanz
01-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Hey all, just wondering what fish stores there are around Calgary here. The only two I know of are golds and Pisces. Looking for a good place to buy fish and inverts for my new tank. I used to go to Pisces and mostly their fish were heathy but sometimes they have some unhealthy looking fish and I'm sure their filtration system is plumbed into all the tanks. Anywho just wondering what else is here. Thanks!

Fin2you
01-30-2016, 01:06 PM
We were just talking about this on the local fb group page!
A bunch of us have been checking out the small stores in Calgary & our experiences are spread thru the page. I thought we could gather it in 1 spot for others? Any other shops missing?
~ Concept Aquariums 1313 44Ave NE
~ Golds Aquarium 4710 17 Ave SE
~ Reef Wonderland 1031 40 Ave NW
~ Ocean Creation 233 16ave NW
~ Wais Aquarium 222, 16Ave NE

Beanz
01-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Oh wow that is for the quick reply. Didn't think anyone would be awake this early haha. Awesome, I'll have to check those places out when I'm ready for fish! What's the fb group called? I would like to join!

Fin2you
01-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Got woke by a kidlet... Just chilling in bed till it is a more respectful time! Out of all the little stores Reef Wonderland is the one I won't return to. Wais should be your I have to go this morning!!!!
The group is:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1563940140536238/

Baker
01-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Got woke by a kidlet... Just chilling in bed till it is a more respectful time! Out of all the little stores Reef Wonderland is the one I won't return to. Wais should be your I have to go this morning!!!!
The group is:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1563940140536238/

Nothing wrong with reef wonderland. Angus is a good guy.

Fin2you
01-30-2016, 04:49 PM
I guess I should elaborate on the reason why I won't return to Reef Wonderland. #1 cement parking ' blocks places so tight infront of this Mini mall, it wad a knuckle scraping experience to get my sons wheelchair to the door. Then when we finally battled into the store all the tanks were so encrusted with algae we couldn't see in them except for from the top. The store also smelt, the only way I could described it was rotten. So while the owner may be a good guy, I won't return.
The owner at Wai's on the otherhand has personally come out to help assist getting the wheelchair up to his door & helped us back to our van.
Nothing wrong with reef wonderland. Angus is a good guy.

somafish
01-30-2016, 05:37 PM
-Wais is good livestock,probably the best coral selection, a little pricey
-Pisces is so-so for live stock some sick fish and a large mark up on others, but the biggest selection of dry goods.
-Big Als Is going out of buisness (they just don't know it).lots of empty tanks
-Ocean creations is small but sometimes has unique fish, decent prices
-Concept has great prices on fish and dry goods, but lately when I go in there is alot of empty tanks
-Reef wonderland sometimes has nothing in the tanks, almost nothing for dry goods. In his defense it has been a while since I have been there
-Golds these guys are my favorite place. Bought a regal tang for $30, huge squamosa clam with 2 green bubble tip anemones on the same rock for $125. If they had a larger dry goods selection I would not go anywhere else
-Riverfront I think is shut down for animal neglect, and it showed in their saltwater tanks. $40 dollars for baby ocellaris clowns!!! This place smells like a dirty gym sock

hfp75
01-30-2016, 06:25 PM
There's an open groupon with J&L right now.

Prices are definitely lower and more availability with this option!!!

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117821

iamfrontosa
01-31-2016, 04:33 AM
-Wais is good livestock,probably the best coral selection, a little pricey
-Pisces is so-so for live stock some sick fish and a large mark up on others, but the biggest selection of dry goods.
-Big Als Is going out of buisness (they just don't know it).lots of empty tanks
-Ocean creations is small but sometimes has unique fish, decent prices
-Concept has great prices on fish and dry goods, but lately when I go in there is alot of empty tanks
-Reef wonderland sometimes has nothing in the tanks, almost nothing for dry goods. In his defense it has been a while since I have been there
-Golds these guys are my favorite place. Bought a regal tang for $30, huge squamosa clam with 2 green bubble tip anemones on the same rock for $125. If they had a larger dry goods selection I would not go anywhere else
-Riverfront I think is shut down for animal neglect, and it showed in their saltwater tanks. $40 dollars for baby ocellaris clowns!!! This place smells like a dirty gym sock

I agreed with everything Somafish said.

mrhasan
01-31-2016, 05:36 AM
My experience (other's may differ):

Concept: This is where 90% of my money allocated for the hobby goes. This is my go to place for hardware and corals. Not so much for fishes.
Pieces: From my experience, almost every tang in that store is infected with ich. I only go there for inverts; they always seem to have the inverts that I look for.
Big-al: This is where I got my 1st tank but stopped going there when I came to know about other stores.
Ocean creation: My go to place for fish. Never had any issue on any of the fishes that I bough from here. Given that I am not big on quarantine, get healthy specimen is really good.
Wai's: probably my last choice for LFS if I cannot find something locally or online. Great selection of corals but hell expensive and unless you are there for buying something, the guy is not very pleasant.
Reef wonderful: Hell expensive. Great guy but in the end, I personally wouldn't pay a 50% premium just for customer service.
Gold's aquarium: Extremely good price and they QT their fishes so, like ocean creation, you will get healthy specimen. Their prices are so cheap that sometimes, it is just shocking and will make you wonder how they manage to sell things so cheap. Used to be far away from my old place but very close to my new one so I will visit them more often now that I am back in the hobby.

MitchM
01-31-2016, 02:12 PM
Wai's has always been my go to place for supplies equipment and livestock.
Daniel has been in business a very long time for a reason - he has a business model that can weather both the good and bad times. Prices can be expensive, but that's what it takes to stay in business. If not Wai's, do you really want to buy from someone that is here today, gone tomorrow?

I went to Big Al's a couple of weeks ago and they had very little sw livestock but a LOT of artificial salt available. People probably are a little burned from last year's salt "special sale" debacle.

I've never been to Concepts new place, can't offer a opinion.

Pisces is a great overall pet store. I get all my fw and pond supplies there.

Golds I've been to once, but they had a very limited sw offering.

Riverfront needs to be shut down.

I haven't been to any of the others mentioned.

Online stores for Calgarians are available, but it costs me $50 in fuel to drive to the airport for livestock, so that is a deterrent.
BRS is very expensive when you include shipping to the local post office (in my case)

MitchM
01-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Also, no one in Calgary has been able to offer the high quality of corals that Wai's has.
I've seen great pictures from some online vendors, and have read some favourable reviews, but have not ordered to see for myself.:wink:

Beanz
01-31-2016, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I'll for sure have to check out all these places when I'm ready for livestock! There's several listed that I didn't even know existed.

somafish
01-31-2016, 09:41 PM
Wai's has always been my go to place for supplies equipment and livestock.
Daniel has been in business a very long time for a reason - he has a business model that can weather both the good and bad times. Prices can be expensive, but that's what it takes to stay in business. If not Wai's, do you really want to buy from someone that is here today, gone tomorrow?

I went to Big Al's a couple of weeks ago and they had very little sw livestock but a LOT of artificial salt available. People probably are a little burned from last year's salt "special sale" debacle.

I've never been to Concepts new place, can't offer a opinion.

Pisces is a great overall pet store. I get all my fw and pond supplies there.

Golds I've been to once, but they had a very limited sw offering.

Riverfront needs to be shut down.

I haven't been to any of the others mentioned.

Online stores for Calgarians are available, but it costs me $50 in fuel to drive to the airport for livestock, so that is a deterrent.
BRS is very expensive when you include shipping to the local post office (in my case)

Pisces,Big Al's,Golds have all been open for a long time, I don't think that should be the main criteria for doing business there. Wai's was selling a 3" maxima for $300, cross the street go to Ocean Creations got a 5" with nicer pattern for $180. Regal tangs for $80 At Wai's, Golds $30. And even alot of wai's dry goods and equipment are over priced. Daniel can be very picky who he likes and who he doesn't like, it seems to me it's based on who's gonna spend the most money

MitchM
01-31-2016, 10:40 PM
Pisces,Big Al's,Golds have all been open for a long time, I don't think that should be the main criteria for doing business there. Wai's was selling a 3" maxima for $300, cross the street go to Ocean Creations got a 5" with nicer pattern for $180. Regal tangs for $80 At Wai's, Golds $30. And even alot of wai's dry goods and equipment are over priced. Daniel can be very picky who he likes and who he doesn't like, it seems to me it's based on who's gonna spend the most money

You may not be aware of the Big Al's franchise history in Calgary then.:wink:

Reef stores are not cheap to operate.
Like I said, Daniel has a good business model. If you are looking for inexpensive coral frags for example, it would be best to buy from other hobbyists. (there's nothing wrong with that, btw, I support other hobbyists when I can)

btuck887
02-03-2016, 09:36 PM

Highly agree with somafish. Been into Wai's countless times, bought a few things here and there, and never once had a warm reception. On the other hand, you cross the street to Ocean creations and you greeted with a big smile and great service. Oceans may not have the coral selection that Wai's has but I would prefer to spend my money in a shop that treats me as a valued customer and not just a walking wad of cash!

MitchM
02-03-2016, 11:16 PM
Businesses can charge what the market will bear for their products.

If a new business wants to compete, it has to be able to provide a more attractive alternative, be it price or product.
So far, I have not seen anyone do that in the Calgary market. Wai's is the one to beat.

I could buy more volume if I went somewhere else, but I would hate to see Calgary lose the high quality products that Wai's offers.
I don't argue with the price, so I'm an easy customer to deal with, versus someone that complains about the price and tries to buy items for less.
Less profit = harder to do business = possibly going out of business entirely.

When I was in business, startups wold come into my market and offer cheap similar products at low prices. It hurt my sales. I know what it is like. Less than a year later, the startup was gone and out of business, because they weren't making enough money. Meanwhile, my sales suffered, I had to let people go, reduce my inventories and it took a while to build back up again. Soon another startup would try again and the cycle continued.

I wish good luck to all businesses, but I'm not a fan of shopping for cheap prices alone.

Fishy!
02-03-2016, 11:48 PM
Does big als have a large selection on AGA aquariums?

DiscusZ
02-03-2016, 11:59 PM
I have never liked wais I have been out of the scene for a while just got Back in Aug 2015. I prefer friendlier places Dennis at golds and the guys at concepts since being back in the hobby I have avoided wais had bad experience there 10+ years ago

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

somafish
02-04-2016, 12:47 AM
Does big als have a large selection on AGA aquariums?

I think only Pisces carries AGA stuff. They have a little side room with soils,tanks, and co2 stuff

somafish
02-04-2016, 01:12 AM
Wai's has great corals (best in the city probably) and decent fish (sometimes). That doesn't mean everyone else who sells the same thing for less has inferior livestock.

Golds selling a tang for $30 dollars less then Wai's, doesn't mean it was from some crooked vendor. Heck i bet you the tangs came in on the same plane. Golds just knows if they sell cheaper we all keep coming back(which I do!)Plus, I know they quarantine all their new arrivals judging by Wai's tanks sometimes i think not.

If anything it kinda shows Wai's is price gouging a little for the same exact items. I've never seen a fish/coral/chemical etc. At Wai's that's price was just unbeatable. Not trying to start a fight but going back to the OP, if I was just starting out I would rather pay $15 for a clownfish rather then $30. Especially when they are the same thing.......... PS I do most my shopping at Petland

mihaivapler
02-04-2016, 04:24 AM
Highly agree with somafish. Been into Wai's countless times, bought a few things here and there, and never once had a warm reception. On the other hand, you cross the street to Ocean creations and you greeted with a big smile and great service. Oceans may not have the coral selection that Wai's has but I would prefer to spend my money in a shop that treats me as a valued customer and not just a walking wad of cash!
+1..he is a super guy,i buy most of my fish from him never had one sick..

ReganY
02-27-2016, 07:05 PM
Need to update the list, reef wonderland has shut down. He is only doing tank maintenance now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Fin2you
02-27-2016, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I will do that now!!!

ReganY
02-27-2016, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I will do that now!!!

No problem! I didn't even know until I showed up the other day.

Fin2you
02-27-2016, 08:09 PM
Reef Wonderland has closed, apparently though Riverfront will be reopening. I will search for more info & post again!
We were just talking about this on the local fb group page!
A bunch of us have been checking out the small stores in Calgary & our experiences are spread thru the page. I thought we could gather it in 1 spot for others? Any other shops missing?
~ Concept Aquariums 1313 44Ave NE
~ Golds Aquarium 4710 17 Ave SE
~ Ocean Creation 233 16ave NW
~ Wais Aquarium 222, 16Ave NE

iamfrontosa
02-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Riverfront reopening? what? I thought Wayne (Riverfront's owner) now works at Concepts as store manager. Concepts has also converted half of their store unit to fresh water fish. Also has some lizards.

Fin2you
02-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Riverfront reopening? what? I thought Wayne (Riverfront's owner) now works at Concepts as store manager. Concepts has also converted half of their store unit to fresh water fish. Also has some lizards.
That might be the case I had just heard he was looking for a new location.

ReganY
02-28-2016, 03:51 PM

That's interesting, I haven't seen any lizards or freshwater there yet and j was in last week. No idea why they would want to add fresh and reptiles. Their niche market was perfect.

iamfrontosa
02-28-2016, 03:59 PM
The small rooms end of store front has lizards or frogs. Not sure. I wasnt really into reptiles. Half of the glass work area (back room) also has numerous tanks for freshwater stuffs.

Ryan
03-13-2016, 05:17 AM
I just did the Calgary tour for the first time in years and I must say a lot has changed.

Started off at Golds. Lots of cool fish but nothing I was looking for. Was probably just an off week. However there was a good diversity of fish. Haven't been in the store in years yet the guys still recognised me and asked where I had been. Tough to beat that.

Next stop was Big Al's. Lots has changed in there. When did they add dog and Cat!?! Selection was low but there was some clowns there I really wanted. My wife was with me and she veto'd that decision. I should have bought them as they were 1/2 the price from anywhere else in town.

Onto Pisces where the service was great. I am assuming I had the guy in charge there. He was nice enough to walk me through some of the acronyms I have never heard of on the fish labels and we talked about which transhippers were bringing in the best fish and from where. I also seen my first Lightning Maroon in person and I gawked over the large Blue Carpet they had while he bagged up my small clean up crew. Prices are a little high but I will be back again.

After a tour at Balzac Mall it was onto Wai's, this place used to be a little run down and over priced but I was surprised how nice it looked with the new (to me) tanks and lighting. Fish looked great and I drooled over the red saddle Anthias. They were on the top of my want list before I got out, if I upgrade I'll get a few for sure. Lots of cool stuff but I walked out with only a fish. The only thing I could complain about was the price of the discs of zoas. I know it's a little pricey there but all the fish and coral looked great.

The guys down at Ocean Creation recognised me as soon as I walked in. Again that's a good feeling after not stepping foot in there for years. They let the cat out of the bag though when the Mrs asked why they remembered me, his response "Him and his friend always spent lots of money here when they came in". So she finally caught onto my lieing about prices. Their stock was low but again probably caught them on a bad week. Some cool adult clowns but I walked out empty handed.

Back to the east side I stopped at Concept hoping to get some dry rock and frags. I wasn't at all impressed by this store. Dirty tanks, dead fish, bad smell, and expensive!! Not the Concept I knew when they were over by Big Al's. I doubt I will be back again. The Rhomboid Wrasse was the highlight of the store otherwise there is much left to be improved upon.

Reef Wonderland was closed down. Glad it was a short drive but the store was empty. Not sure when this happened. However I was still feeling I didn't get enough fish so a quick search on Google Maps and I plotted a course that just so happened to take me by Wai's again. Dennis set me up with 2 more fish for a good price and I walked out smiling. I will say it was awesome to catch up with the guys at Golds and Ocean Creation but for this trip Wai's was the number one stop.

somafish
03-13-2016, 06:24 AM
What clowns were they at big Al's?

Ryan
03-13-2016, 02:38 PM
I can't remember what they were called. Varied from a platinum look to extreme snow with the bullet holes. I regret not getting a pair of those and a pair of True Perculas from Wai's.

Fin2you
03-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Big Als seems to be empty each time someone goes in. reef wonderland closed its store doors a couple weeks ago, they are only doing tank maintenance now. Concept Aquariums has recently partnered up with the owner of Riverfront....

DiscusZ
03-15-2016, 05:11 AM
What do you mean they partnered up?

somafish
03-15-2016, 05:54 AM
I think Concept took all their freshwater fish. They have a bigger freshwater area now

Fin2you
03-15-2016, 09:26 AM
What do you mean they partnered up?
Owner of Riverfront is now working at Concept Aquariums. Huge room of Fw & I saw some reptile type setups too. I went in on Sat looking for a Marble Angelfish but didn't find the colouration I love.

ReefRealEstate
03-18-2016, 01:44 PM
:hat:I just did the Calgary tour for the first time in years and I must say a lot has changed.

Started off at Golds. Lots of cool fish but nothing I was looking for. Was probably just an off week. However there was a good diversity of fish. Haven't been in the store in years yet the guys still recognised me and asked where I had been. Tough to beat that.

Next stop was Big Al's. Lots has changed in there. When did they add dog and Cat!?! Selection was low but there was some clowns there I really wanted. My wife was with me and she veto'd that decision. I should have bought them as they were 1/2 the price from anywhere else in town.

Onto Pisces where the service was great. I am assuming I had the guy in charge there. He was nice enough to walk me through some of the acronyms I have never heard of on the fish labels and we talked about which transhippers were bringing in the best fish and from where. I also seen my first Lightning Maroon in person and I gawked over the large Blue Carpet they had while he bagged up my small clean up crew. Prices are a little high but I will be back again.

After a tour at Balzac Mall it was onto Wai's, this place used to be a little run down and over priced but I was surprised how nice it looked with the new (to me) tanks and lighting. Fish looked great and I drooled over the red saddle Anthias. They were on the top of my want list before I got out, if I upgrade I'll get a few for sure. Lots of cool stuff but I walked out with only a fish. The only thing I could complain about was the price of the discs of zoas. I know it's a little pricey there but all the fish and coral looked great.

The guys down at Ocean Creation recognised me as soon as I walked in. Again that's a good feeling after not stepping foot in there for years. They let the cat out of the bag though when the Mrs asked why they remembered me, his response "Him and his friend always spent lots of money here when they came in". So she finally caught onto my lieing about prices. Their stock was low but again probably caught them on a bad week. Some cool adult clowns but I walked out empty handed.

Back to the east side I stopped at Concept hoping to get some dry rock and frags. I wasn't at all impressed by this store. Dirty tanks, dead fish, bad smell, and expensive!! Not the Concept I knew when they were over by Big Al's. I doubt I will be back again. The Rhomboid Wrasse was the highlight of the store otherwise there is much left to be improved upon.

Reef Wonderland was closed down. Glad it was a short drive but the store was empty. Not sure when this happened. However I was still feeling I didn't get enough fish so a quick search on Google Maps and I plotted a course that just so happened to take me by Wai's again. Dennis set me up with 2 more fish for a good price and I walked out smiling. I will say it was awesome to catch up with the guys at Golds and Ocean Creation but for this trip Wai's was the number one stop.

I have been to Concept and have seen some issues with the tanks but they were in transition of changing them over - they are very busy with builds and I think the store has suffered a bit from that but now that Wayne is there also I'm sure that will help things out. I hope they can get the tanks up to pristine status in order to reflect the quality of builds that they do. I would give them another look as things have improved greatly.

As far as Wai's, I have always felt as if I was bothering him when I went into the store even though I have never tried to discount my purchases and I had purchased a lot from him over the years. Would be nice if he didn't smoke at the desk and in the store all the time especially when I bring my son in. Has been a long time since I have been in there maybe he has quit. Being fairly knowledgeable on species interaction I have often ask him about how one fish gets along with another and he always, always says they will be fine together as he doesn't actually care about your tank as long as he gets the sale. I have asked about the species knowing all well that they would not get along or cause issues for corals etc but again "yeah they'll be fine".... I have had some issues with some purchases from there in the past too, good luck in getting any kind of a refund or trade (without a massive battle). After that I was shunned basically every time I went in the store so I just stopped going, never felt welcome. Some stuff was amazing in there too bad you can't find an all round store. Very pricey, zero customer service, doesn't quarantine anything and will sell you a fish that got there that day or the day before.

I may go back again just to see if anything has changed - will give an update. It would help him greatly to get someone in there with a true passion and customer service/just happy to see you.

lyall12
03-18-2016, 02:13 PM
I'd suggest Wai's is worth a revisit. I've been there a few times in the past 8 months (with kids in tow). Never once saw him smoking nor smelled it. I do catch him eating now and then, side effect of being only employee in the store. :)

He has redone the store and cleaned it up a lot this year. Feels much nicer to go into.

As far as customer service. He always seems happy enough to me.

Baker
03-18-2016, 07:36 PM
:hat:

I have been to Concept and have seen some issues with the tanks but they were in transition of changing them over - they are very busy with builds and I think the store has suffered a bit from that but now that Wayne is there also I'm sure that will help things out. I hope they can get the tanks up to pristine status in order to reflect the quality of builds that they do. I would give them another look as things have improved greatly.

As far as Wai's, I have always felt as if I was bothering him when I went into the store even though I have never tried to discount my purchases and I had purchased a lot from him over the years. Would be nice if he didn't smoke at the desk and in the store all the time especially when I bring my son in. Has been a long time since I have been in there maybe he has quit. Being fairly knowledgeable on species interaction I have often ask him about how one fish gets along with another and he always, always says they will be fine together as he doesn't actually care about your tank as long as he gets the sale. I have asked about the species knowing all well that they would not get along or cause issues for corals etc but again "yeah they'll be fine".... I have had some issues with some purchases from there in the past too, good luck in getting any kind of a refund or trade (without a massive battle). After that I was shunned basically every time I went in the store so I just stopped going, never felt welcome. Some stuff was amazing in there too bad you can't find an all round store. Very pricey, zero customer service, doesn't quarantine anything and will sell you a fish that got there that day or the day before.

I may go back again just to see if anything has changed - will give an update. It would help him greatly to get someone in there with a true passion and customer service/just happy to see you.

So you just signed up to Canreef within the last 18 days and haven't been into Wai's in years and feel that it's appropriate to give a review on it. I've been in the hobby 3 years now and haven't seen Danny smoke at the desk it's a great store and Danny is a great guy. He does have a passion for it but you would be a little tired of being there after 30+ years.

ReefRealEstate
03-18-2016, 08:12 PM
Fair enough. That's why I had mentioned that I would go back to check it out again, plus give the impression that I had back then with the hopes that things have changed. I may have only been on here for the past while but have be chatting with a lot of people in the last few months to a year before getting back into the hobby. Some people have mentioned to me that things are the same and have still heard similar views of the service experience there. I have nothing against the store it self only my experience there in the past. I had hoped to spark some different opinions on this and thanks for your input. If everything has improved thats great, we can use as many good quality stores as possible. I always give people second and third chances but the reality was these were my experiences back then and I hope you are right that things have changed. I will definitely go check it out again as he did have amazing stock. Thanks! Love to here more.

MitchM
03-18-2016, 11:56 PM
I've been a customer of Wai's for more than 15 years and have never seen him smoking.
Nice try though.

I always have a nice visit with him while I'm there.

kooky
03-19-2016, 12:21 AM
I have not been in Wai's for over a year but the last time I was there I witnessed him smoking inside sitting in front of his computer, he might have quit now but I can confirmed that he did smoke at one point in time. As to the service, Wai's has the best corals/fish hands down, his tanks are always full and his corals are beautiful but his demeanor does not make you feel welcome he is more into his computer then his customers.

ReefRealEstate
03-19-2016, 12:35 AM
I completely Agree the livestock he has is great. Just be aware of how long it has been then. Yeah seems odd that every time I have gone there he was smoking also usually while your paying at the till. Either way this is supposed to just give people a heads up about places. That's all. I am not making things up. Just reality and facts about what I have seen and how I feel when there. Cheers folks.

albert_dao
03-19-2016, 01:14 AM
Eh? Danny used to smoke at his desk... I always thought it was part of the charm of the store. He was like the reefing version of Uncle Benny, lol...

MitchM
03-19-2016, 02:05 AM
If he did smoke, I don't remember it.
I was there for the corals.
His store, he can smoke if he wants.
If I worked in retail, I'd have a big bottle of booze in the back.
- for the whole 5 minutes I would last working in retail....

albert_dao
03-19-2016, 02:30 AM
If he did smoke, I don't remember it.
I was there for the corals.
His store, he can smoke if he wants.
If I worked in retail, I'd have a big bottle of booze in the back.
- for the whole 5 minutes I would last working in retail....

0___0 whoa, whoa, whoa, no need to get defensive. Geez, didn't mean to ruin your week....

MitchM
03-19-2016, 02:39 AM
:wink:

somafish
03-19-2016, 02:47 AM
Hasn't it been illegal to smoke in any business for 8 years? There's good and bad in all the fish stores here. He has the best SPS selection and chemicals, but he is known to give the cold shoulder now and again. And I guess it's a full on hookah bar when I'm not there

Portuguesenrg
03-19-2016, 07:32 AM
I have noticed when I got there as well that he does give the cold shoulder when I'm there but I do kinda like how you don't have someone breathing down your neck when your roaming around , but then again I'm one of those people going in not knowing what I want ever lol . And it's a little hard not to be thrown away when you see his tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fin2you
03-19-2016, 02:39 PM
I have wandered into a bunch of the stores in the past couple weeks.
Golds, smelt like smoke & whoever was working made it seem like I was imposing browsing the store. I did buy a couple coral frags the prices were right at $15-$19 & a jar of food I needed.
big Als tanks were almost empty both on Fw & SW. I found a pretty Feather duster worthy of parting with $19.99.
Pisces was full & so were their prices. If it hadn't been for a beautiful purple Veiltail Betta in a pathetic cup at the front My wallet would have stayed shut. But I parted with $5.99+GST
Concepts I am wavering on. I had been in a few times b4 the join up with Wayne, and once since. That said I went into Riverfront once 6years ago looking at bettas & swore I would never go back. Not my place to judge but I can choose what businesses I want to personally support & what doesn't jive with me. That said their prices for frozen fish food can't be beat.
Tried to find Ocean Creations again & even my newly updated GPS couldn't guide me there. Finally got P.O. After 1/2 hr of going in circles and crossed it off my list of places I might shop at.
So I back tracked a bit & went back into Wai's for the 2nd time in a week. There were other people in the store but I got a smile. I wandered around drooling at the tanks brimming with beautiful corals. When he was done with the other customers we chatted. I can honestly say I can see both "sides" other posters are saying. I would have to say IMHO, this man is the most open & honest to goodness real human being I have met in a long time. We all have our good days & our bad, we all have different personalities that cause us to react to people differently. I appreciate this realness in my whole life not just in my fish keeping hobby.

albert_dao
03-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Tried to find Ocean Creations again & even my newly updated GPS couldn't guide me there. Finally got P.O. After 1/2 hr of going in circles and crossed it off my list of places I might shop at.
So I back tracked a bit & went back into Wai's for the 2nd time in a week.

Damn, they're literally two minutes from each other - on the same street!

Treebeard
03-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Ocean creations is only 3 1/2 blocks west of Wai's on the opposite side of the street. If you are coming from the east on 16th Ave, go two blocks west of Center street and hang a left on 2nd Street. He is in the little strip mall. Can't miss it!

Ocean Creations (https://www.google.ca/maps/place/233+16+Ave+NW,+Calgary,+AB+T2M+0H5/@51.0667863,-114.0642907,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x537165608df67359:0x9355b7d7e3f60 e6e)

Fin2you
03-19-2016, 05:04 PM
My GPS had me on the same side of 16th but in residential and by a school.

Skimmer Juice
03-19-2016, 05:07 PM
weird I have been going to golds for 14 years and have never smelled smoking in there . On the other hand Wai and the oceans guy both smoke in store as it reeks in both stores . Does not really bother me that much its not like Im in the store for more than 20mins at a time .
To bad reef wonderland closed if only he wasn't charging such high prices he would still be here as he had really nice coral. But once again greed kills a store .
As for writing a store off because your gps is ass seems pretty silly oceans is a great shop for fish corals are more common stuff and easy to find :biggrin: .

Skimmer Juice
03-19-2016, 05:08 PM
My GPS had me on the same side of 16th but in residential and by a school.

yeah its in the strip mall across from the big sandstone school

Fin2you
03-19-2016, 05:17 PM
As for writing a store off because your gps is ass seems pretty silly oceans is a great shop for fish corals are more common stuff and easy to find :biggrin: .

I don't know but it seemed like straight forward logic to me, if I can't find ashore how am I supposed to shop there? :wink:
But I will take the above posted directions & make a visit. Will post my findings aka opinions :lol:

mrhasan
03-19-2016, 05:21 PM
I don't know but it seemed like straight forward logic to me, if I can't find ashore how am I supposed to shop there? :wink:
But I will take the above posted directions & make a visit. Will post my findings aka opinions :lol:

Its in the strip mall between the state farm building and the tnt market (1st and 2nd sr NW). The building has state farm written on the top so should be easy to spot.

somafish
03-22-2016, 02:00 AM
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/charges-laid-following-calgary-humane-societys-seizure-of-333-animals-from-riverfront-aquariums

Is this jail time charges?

Fin2you
03-22-2016, 02:46 AM
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/charges-laid-following-calgary-humane-societys-seizure-of-333-animals-from-riverfront-aquariums

Is this jail time charges?
What does this mean for Concepts? Didn't they just partner with the owner of Riverfront & make Wayne their new store manager?

Skimmer Juice
03-22-2016, 03:16 AM
What does this mean for Concepts? Didn't they just partner with the owner of Riverfront & make Wayne their new store manager?

dont know what they are thinking , they should just knock of the bull and get Denny back in there .

somafish
03-22-2016, 03:47 AM
dont know what they are thinking , they should just knock of the bull and get Denny back in there .

+1^^^^ This is gonna cast a big shadow on concept I think. There has already been a couple bad reviews of concept in just this thread

mrhasan
03-22-2016, 04:52 AM
Different people will prefer different stores, that's the part of the whole competitive market. For example, I don't like (well hate would be a strong word so I am not using it) going to Wai's while there are lots of people who just love that store. Alongside, I like going to Concept and Dave has always accommodate extreme requests (livestock and equipment) that I have asked. For me, it is more important that a store accommodate my request than how clean the store is. I just walk in, grab my stuff and walk out with probably wet shoe sole but that doesn't bother me. But it bothers me when the owner eyes me from the desk as if I am there to pick a coral and run away without paying. Different people, different demand and hence different stores. If everyone wanted the same thing, the whole hobby would have been like De Beers.

I am not sure about Riverfront and Concept's relationship and the business model and I will not speculate anything over here. To me, Dave is a smart man and if he thinks this decision will have any negative impact on his business, he will look into it.

Hope I didn't stir up too much sand over here :redface:

ReefRealEstate
03-22-2016, 05:03 AM
I agree. The reality is everyone puts a lot of stock in what we see in the news, very important for people to get further in depth than just one source of information. I have met Wayne in the past and always found him to be a really nice guy that seems to truly care about the animals. I don't know enough about what happened at riverfront to judge. It might be wise to let the dust settle a bit to see exactly what has happened. I hope there weren't any real major issues there, it would be bad for the entire industry here in Calgary. Considering how much we all really care about what we do in this hobby I am hoping for the best outcome for all.

somafish
03-22-2016, 05:21 AM
There's been a couple articles! I have to believe the humane society has a pretty thorough check list for what's exceptable, and it wasnt once it was multiple times.
I think this has to be talked about, if their treating $400 dollar snakes like that,how healthy do you think your clownfish is you just bought?. Being friendly is all fine and good, but im not buying friendship I'm buying animals.

ReefRealEstate
03-22-2016, 05:28 AM
Fair enough. Wasn't saying because he is nice he must be taking care of the animals properly. Just saying that he seemed genuinely concerned for the fish back in the day when I knew him. I know nothing about the care of lizards. What I do find to be consistent in the industry is you need to have a deticated person that deals specifically with the care, cleanliness, of the salt water tanks. Not running the store or dealing with customers. If I can walk around a store and see problems I find its my job also to bring it to the stores attention. We can all help in that manner. Things change quickly with saltwater fish sometimes.

somafish
03-22-2016, 05:41 AM
Another thing I find odd is why don't any of these guys talk on the forum, I know they can't plug their store unless they pay their advertising fee's but I guarantee they look on here, and you can still talk in the forums even if your a store owner. Colby from Bayside talks on here from time to time and I respect that.

albert_dao
03-22-2016, 05:46 AM
Another thing I find odd is why don't any of these guys talk on the forum, I know they can't plug their store unless they pay their advertising fee's but I guarantee they look on here, and you can still talk in the forums. Colby from Bayside talks on here from time to time and I respect that.

I think I can speak on this point --- Generally, it's rarely in the best interest of the vendor to engage in a direct conflicting without some heavy moderation, handling or PR as it generally opens their flanks to "gotcha" moments from people who have an axe to grind. That and the time investment is better allocate elsewhere.

dave_C
03-22-2016, 05:54 AM
Ok I think i need to clear the air here on what is been said about concepts

first point

riverfront aquariums has not partnered up with concepts! we are our own identity
-Wayne is just an employee and is helping me setup our fresh water area
-no we are not getting in to reptiles, maybe just a few dart frogs but thats about it lol
-i wouldn't comment on what is happening at riverfront as i don't know the full details and I didn't think people shouldn't jump to conclusions as there is not much information out there
-wayne has 22 years in this business(i have 2.5:sad:) so he is helping me learn the ropes from bring concepts from a hobby to a real business for me.

second point
as far as the place being dirty,smelly and empty tanks, that has to do with the changes that we are under going so please be patient with us as we try to finish up. Just keep in mind, in the last month with only three employees we added 180 tanks for the fresh water area so that has taken a lot of our time and money! so yes the marine side has been lacking of shorts. Now as far as the place being smelly, that's got me as i have asked a few people about this and the only responds is that it smells like any other fish store

Wayne/jason/matt lol has also convince me that our marine fish tank display area needs to be redone and have come up with a great design that should be very interesting to bring to live. To add wayne has also bought in new suppliers that i have not even heard off before, so going forward we will have a lot more marine shipments coming in.

one exciting thing that is starting very soon is we will be flying down to LA every two weeks and we will be able to cherry pick from the new suppliers some of the corals we will be able to import.

so yes things are changing and hopefully it will be for the better:wink:

and like some have said we are not everyones cup of tea! we have our goods and bads but i think so does every other store out there

Thanks Dave
Concept Aquariums

somafish
03-22-2016, 06:06 AM
That's awesome! I'm excited now. Dave just answered any questions I had. That's what I'm saying, in stead of letting people's imaginations run wild (im guilty) or the negative feelings grow, just come on and say what's what.

subnet88
03-22-2016, 06:47 AM
The only "Smell" I could think of, and I frequent Concepts a lot, and will continue to do so, is the smell of cigarettes. Concepts is not the only place in town that seems to have smokers smoking within the store.

Fin2you
03-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Hi Dave,
In your post you say Concepts has not partnered with Riverfront, yet on Riverfront website I read they are moving & merging with Concept Aquariums. You may be a separate identity but you are working with/have working for you (another thing quoted direct from your own words) A man charged with MULTIPLE HUNDREDS of animal cruelty charges!!! He may have 22years experience to your 2.5, but if that's the kind if experience you wish to draw from, that is your choice. Congrats on bringing in new suppliers of amazing species, but as an animal lover I could care less what you are getting if it's b/c of someone charged with animal cruelty again & who has been convicted of many other cruelty & animal abuse charges in the past. Other people will make their own decisions but I for one will not set foot in your store again you do not deserve my hobby money. But I wish you all you deserve going forward with your business.
Ok I think i need to clear the air here on what is been said about concepts

first point

riverfront aquariums has not partnered up with concepts! we are our own identity
-Wayne is just an employee and is helping me setup our fresh water area
-no we are not getting in to reptiles, maybe just a few dart frogs but thats about it lol
-i wouldn't comment on what is happening at riverfront as i don't know the full details and I didn't think people shouldn't jump to conclusions as there is not much information out there
-wayne has 22 years in this business(i have 2.5:sad:) so he is helping me learn the ropes from bring concepts from a hobby to a real business for me.

second point
as far as the place being dirty,smelly and empty tanks, that has to do with the changes that we are under going so please be patient with us as we try to finish up. Just keep in mind, in the last month with only three employees we added 180 tanks for the fresh water area so that has taken a lot of our time and money! so yes the marine side has been lacking of shorts. Now as far as the place being smelly, that's got me as i have asked a few people about this and the only responds is that it smells like any other fish store

Wayne/jason/matt lol has also convince me that our marine fish tank display area needs to be redone and have come up with a great design that should be very interesting to bring to live. To add wayne has also bought in new suppliers that i have not even heard off before, so going forward we will have a lot more marine shipments coming in.

one exciting thing that is starting very soon is we will be flying down to LA every two weeks and we will be able to cherry pick from the new suppliers some of the corals we will be able to import.

so yes things are changing and hopefully it will be for the better:wink:

and like some have said we are not everyones cup of tea! we have our goods and bads but i think so does every other store out there

Thanks Dave
Concept Aquariums

Metrontech
03-22-2016, 01:03 PM
Couldn't agree more. 22 years experience = hundreds of animal abuses? Odd

I'll be spending my money elsewhere

Good luck Dave

Hi Dave,
In your post you say Concepts has not partnered with Riverfront, yet on Riverfront website I read they are moving & merging with Concept Aquariums. You may be a separate identity but you are working with/have working for you (another thing quoted direct from your own words) A man charged with MULTIPLE HUNDREDS of animal cruelty charges!!! He may have 22years experience to your 2.5, but if that's the kind if experience you wish to draw from, that is your choice. Congrats on bringing in new suppliers of amazing species, but as an animal lover I could care less what you are getting if it's b/c of someone charged with animal cruelty again & who has been convicted of many other cruelty & animal abuse charges in the past. Other people will make their own decisions but I for one will not set foot in your store again you do not deserve my hobby money. But I wish you all you deserve going forward with your business.

dave_C
03-22-2016, 03:55 PM
Hi Dave,

Hi Fin

Thank for your input and i will agree that it does not look good on the surface but I must disagree with some off what you have posted

first fact
-riverfornt has not been charge with MULTIPLE HUNDREDS of animal cruelty charges! the news reports is there was 333 animals seized and multiple charges laid not hundreds off charges. What that means is any ones guess

second fact
-riverfront nor wayne has ever been convicted of these charges and this started in 2014 from the news reports that i have seem, again i leave that up too people to decide what that means.

third fact
-these charges were all related to reptiles and amphibians which i have no interest in carrying
-of these charge between 2014 to 2015 i know of 13 charges from news reports that i have read(this i may be wrong on but it is what i reminder reading) none have they ever been convicted of.

so i don't think it is cut and dry as some have made this out to be but again i will leave it up to you on what you will make of it

I will just say this, just like i told wayne when we first talked
we will try it out for 6 months and see where it takes us and when/if he gets convicted we will sit down again and talk about what the future holds

I know by posting this I open up myself to a lot of questions just like what Albert was talking about, but i hope if I am ever down and out in the future, someone can give me a second chance to prove myself and make a living too provide food on the table for my family also! I don't think is right to condone the man until the courts play this out, as I/we don't know all the facts that goes with this story yet.

From what i have seem in the month that wayne has been here is that man works hard and cares for the animals he cares for. I just hope people give him a chance and see for themselves before making a judgment because of the media reports out there, I am not saying they are wrong but it is only one side of the story and wayne will have his say in may when they go to court.

The last comment I will make on these is wayne is only one part of the team here at concepts and there is two other members of this team that bring other aspects to this family. Does hiring wayne look bad for conepts, I am sure some will think it does but i really hope some will look pass this and wait until it plays out in the court system before passing judgment.

Thanks Dave

jordanc_17
03-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Interesting read. For me the timing seems off. Why not wait the 2 months until his court date? If he is innocent, hire him. If not, well that's your choice.

Fin2you
03-22-2016, 05:16 PM
It is a matter of public record not just in the media. The # of charges against, spanning multiple years does infact add up to the hundreds. Yes I agree in 2nd chances but to continue to make the same mistakes over & over again it just to me shows blatant disregard & lack of what I believe would be common sense of learning a lesson... But that's just my opinion.

fixerupper
03-22-2016, 05:42 PM
I thought this was discussed here before. Naturally, I can't find the post now but the upshot was that an animal rights group has targeted Riverfront multiple times and (if I remember correctly) the conviction rate was zero or at least WAY lower than fine-per-animal initially reported. Additionally, the media outlet that reported about it was widely seen as sensationalizing an ongoing issue. Old news, slow news day, whatever.

This is in no way an excuse nor a promotion of that store. Perhaps there are some serious issues there. Frankly, I wouldn't know. What I do know is that if an organisation has got a bone to pick and targets your establishment (justified or not)...you might be found innocent but your reputation takes a huge hit.

Where the heck is that thread...

Fin2you
03-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Well my personal choice not to support riverfront years ago had nothing to do with what I had ever seen or heard in the news (which was actually nothing!) but what I saw with my own eyes in the shop which was dead fish all over the floor & tanks full of other dead & injured fish. Sorry not the kind of visual impression I appreciate.
I chose not to give Reef Wonderland my business when they were open either, b/c when I was there you couldn't see into the tanks for the algae growing on the glass so thick it was discusting.
I am choosing to no longer give Concept Aquariums my business b/c they have chosen to make business decisions I personally don't find acceptable. That's the great thing about this forum & thread, it was started as a way for a bunch of us to discuss our personal experiences at the shops in Calgary!

Skimmer Juice
03-22-2016, 06:04 PM
Went to riverfront 1 time after the move from downtown and knew I would never return the place was the definition of a dump . All the animals looked in very poor health and the conditions were disgusting . So even if he avoids charges does not matter for me , you could tell me he cares about animals and I just wont believe you sorry .

I however will still shop at concepts for certain things just preferred the store when Denny was around he was much friendlier than the current staff .

Also never understood the "this store smells" dont all fish stores smell ?

fixerupper
03-22-2016, 08:46 PM
Wow, you sound very defensive. I was not making any judgement as to your personal choice where you shop. Indeed, the place sounds sketchy at best. Obviously we should all spend our hard-earned dollars where we feel best. Believe it or not I'm in Calgary every 2 weeks and I've spent way more there than Edmonton. I must have missed where it was stated that anyone outside of Calgary couldn't comment or have an opinion. My apologies.

Well my personal choice not to support riverfront years ago had nothing to do with what I had ever seen or heard in the news (which was actually nothing!) but what I saw with my own eyes in the shop which was dead fish all over the floor & tanks full of other dead & injured fish. Sorry not the kind of visual impression I appreciate.
I chose not to give Reef Wonderland my business when they were open either, b/c when I was there you couldn't see into the tanks for the algae growing on the glass so thick it was discusting.
I am choosing to no longer give Concept Aquariums my business b/c they have chosen to make business decisions I personally don't find acceptable. That's the great thing about this forum & thread, it was started as a way for a bunch of us to discuss our personal experiences at the shops in Calgary!

Fin2you
03-23-2016, 03:28 AM
my last comments weren't directed at you in all honesty! it was intended more towards Dave & as of a general reminder that this thread isn't just about Riverfront's "animal abuse/neglect charges" problems!
Wow, you sound very defensive. I was not making any judgement as to your personal choice where you shop. Indeed, the place sounds sketchy at best. Obviously we should all spend our hard-earned dollars where we feel best. Believe it or not I'm in Calgary every 2 weeks and I've spent way more there than Edmonton. I must have missed where it was stated that anyone outside of Calgary couldn't comment or have an opinion. My apologies.

mrhasan
03-23-2016, 03:36 AM
I am finding this thread amusing :)

At first, it was all about honest reviews. Then it went to bashing few particular stores. Then it became "who smokes in the shop" thread. And now it is all about speculation. With some animal abuse and inhumane news here and there. Man Naeso would have so loved this thread! Anyone knows where he is? Brad????

FishyFishy!
03-23-2016, 03:39 AM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c38/bilmaga/Mobile%20Uploads/maxresdefault_zpspgogbpjm.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/bilmaga/media/Mobile%20Uploads/maxresdefault_zpspgogbpjm.jpg.html)

ReefRealEstate
03-23-2016, 03:48 AM
No kidding. Oops. And for the record I went back to Wai's a few days ago and he was great. 🙂

Treebeard
03-23-2016, 04:02 AM
OK, Denny is not with Concept anymore? WTH? Someone please PM me the details.

Fin2you
03-23-2016, 04:03 AM
I am planning to try to find Ocean Creations this weekend! anyone want to come hold my hand to make sure I don't get lost again between Wais & there? :biggrin:

Howie
03-23-2016, 04:06 AM
I am planning to try to find Ocean Wonderland this weekend! anyone want to come hold my hand to make sure I don't get lost again between Wais & there? :biggrin:

Lol Ocean Creation

Fin2you
03-23-2016, 04:09 AM
Lol Ocean Creation

Right, ya that store LOL sorry hubby made me a hot chocolate tonight and he spiked it good. I'd say it's 90% liquor to 10% hot chocolate!

iamfrontosa
03-23-2016, 04:13 AM
I am planning to try to find Ocean Wonderland this weekend! anyone want to come hold my hand to make sure I don't get lost again between Wais & there? :biggrin:

You do search on google to find Ocean Creation. Then go to Streetview. Assuming that you now know where Wai's is, you can do a mockup drive from Wai's to Ocean Creation.

Fin2you
03-23-2016, 04:28 AM
A couple other people gave me turn by turn directions a couple weeks ago as they made fun of me for getting lost!

Jus_sum_guy
03-28-2016, 06:04 AM
Went to Oceans for the first time today and will NEVER be back.
I was in the store for almost 10 minutes before the owner walks out from the back, says Hi, grabs his chequebook and walks into the back again.

Admired the corals for maybe another 5 minutes and he comes out and goes to the front counter again. I point at a coral and ask what kind it is....he replies and continues walking to the back. Didn't even slow down to answer or help me.

I browsed around for a few more minutes to see if he'll come out and help me. I left empty handed....

I've been going to Wai's for the last month to have him help me setup my first reef tank. He has always greeted me with a smile from the first meeting.
He is extremely honest to the point where he refused to sell me something I was interested in because it would not work in my tank.

Danny has my business for years to come.

somafish
03-28-2016, 06:13 AM
Went to Oceans for the first time today and will NEVER be back.
I was in the store for almost 10 minutes before the owner walks out from the back, says Hi, grabs his chequebook and walks into the back again.

Admired the corals for maybe another 5 minutes and he comes out and goes to the front counter again. I point at a coral and ask what kind it is....he replies and continues walking to the back. Didn't even slow down to answer or help me.

I browsed around for a few more minutes to see if he'll come out and help me. I left empty handed....

I've been going to Wai's for the last month to have him help me setup my first reef tank. He has always greeted me with a smile from the first meeting.
He is extremely honest to the point where he refused to sell me something I was interested in because it would not work in my tank.

Danny has my business for years to come.

Danny is that you?? Just signed up to the forum, and setting up your first tank and already bad talking one of the good stores in Calgary. Take it easy

Jus_sum_guy
03-28-2016, 06:17 AM
I get crappy service of course I'm going to say something.
No different than going to a new restaurant and getting crappy service and never wanting to return.

somafish
03-28-2016, 12:45 PM
I understand that. I've had crappy service at every single saltwater store, but to say NEVER going back after your first visit is extreme.

Fin2you
03-28-2016, 01:38 PM
I get crappy service of course I'm going to say something.
No different than going to a new restaurant and getting crappy service and never wanting to return.

I agree 100% I made that call with Reef Wonderland, Golds I gave a 2nd chance to & regretted. I didn't get into the stores last week due to not feeling well. May go today. oceans is on my still to check out but Wai's is still leading the competition for Best Overall

somafish
03-28-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm slowly changing my mind about wai's(Danny). I like his new tanks, his livestock will surprise me sometimes, like I said he has the best chemicals selection and SPS. Also he does seem more approachable the last few visits

jordanc_17
03-28-2016, 03:44 PM
At the end of the day I will go wherever has the healthiest specimens. I can live with below average service, since that's not what I'm paying for.

Zoaelite
03-28-2016, 09:52 PM
Each store has its benefits and downsides.

That being said I feel its rather silly to downright say you won't visit a shop off one or two 15 minute "experiences" with them.

At the end of the day does the 15 minute in shop experience not get trumped by the fact that you have a wicked coral/ fish which will be in your care for (hopefully) years to come? The hobby isn't that large, keep your options open and you might be surprised at what you will find hiding in these locations.

Zoaelite
03-28-2016, 09:59 PM
Also as far as not shopping at Concept due to "animal cruelty charges" goes, if your in this hobby you really don't have any moral ground to stand on.

Do you own a single marine fish?

If so to get that SINGLE fish to your door between 10-100 others were killed through collection, transshipping and disease.

While I don't advocate the actions of Riverfront, their cruelty is exposed due to our first world status while our cruelty is hidden due to collection point...

kien
03-29-2016, 02:50 AM
:pop2:

mrhasan
03-29-2016, 02:55 AM
:pop2:

Too late Kien. I ate all the popcorn :mrgreen:

Metrontech
03-29-2016, 03:17 AM
These are my experiences over the last 15 months of shopping regularly at the regular shops

Wais - over priced, terrible customer service bad advice

- eg. sold a kid I'm helping an led fixture that he said would grow anything... Barely lights his tank up

Concept - don't give a @&*% unless your a buddy of the owner or staff and really don't care if your there or not

Golds - the best price, experience and knowledge. They really have their stuff together and they actually care your in their store, lacks pricing on the tanks. Always have to ask

Oceans - great store, ok pricing, great help

Just some background. I own several companies of which the majority are service based. Knowledge and customer support is the key.

I would pay more for product and livestock if the owner and staff cared. I pay my staff the highest in each and every industry. Otherwise they don't give a %@$&

None of these judgements are based on livestock lifespan or health. These are based on store experience and staff.

WarDog
03-29-2016, 03:27 AM
The more I read this thread, the more I love living 15 mins from J&L.

albert_dao
03-29-2016, 04:46 AM
The more I read this thread, the more I love living 15 mins from J&L.

Yah... But GVRD has 30% of the livestock selection that Calgary has...

WarDog
03-29-2016, 05:49 AM
Yah... But GVRD has 30% of the livestock selection that Calgary has...

That's what shopping on the Internet in my underwear is for.

albert_dao
03-29-2016, 06:25 AM

You do it wearing underwear? Weirdo.

kien
03-29-2016, 06:27 AM

Pics or it didn't happen.

WarDog
03-29-2016, 06:40 AM
You do it wearing underwear? Weirdo.

Sometimes.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Rich has them ATM.

kien
03-29-2016, 06:41 AM
Rich has them ATM.

This explains everything..

coolhandgoose
04-17-2016, 12:53 AM
I've been up to pisces a couple times this last week. I have to say I'm really impressed with the staff that are very helpful. You feel like you can ask questions there without feeling like an idiot for not knowing the answer.

I remember being there two years ago and all the fish looked sick with ich etc. Today all their fish look totally healthy and they have a huge variety.

What a turn around from a couple years ago.

ducifer
05-12-2016, 05:53 AM
First of all I don't work at any lfs. I have shopped at them all before and i can safely say that the crew at Concepts is the best. Just want to give a shout out Dave and his crew for the most crazy selection of corals/fish out there and prices that you can't beat. By far the most chill place.

magikof7
05-12-2016, 10:07 PM
I am getting back into the hobby and Concepts was my first stop. The store is looking fantastic with all their changes and The staff are always helpful.
Thanks Dave for helping me fix my plumbing problem with my 74 gal tank! Once its up and running, Ill be going back for a sump build for my 50 gal cube I finally picked up that Concept built for me.

claynelson
05-12-2016, 10:41 PM
ive made the rounds in the past and i will again tomorrow.
been to wias before once and it was ok yes higher prices and he was busy landing fish so didnt expect much attention.

concept was great a few years ago but since then for me has been in a state of change and reno so i will pass judgement again tomorrow

golds been to once the last time i was in town good selection on fish and helpful staff.

riverfront i went to years ago and knew i would never go back after walking in the door the smell of death when you walked in the door turned me around and walked out didnt need to see anything to pass that judgement.

big als i gave several chances and the decline of stock and fish selection and health of the fish has removed them from my list now.

pisces i will return to as there has always been a good selection.

for prices does it really matter? you will pay wnat you want for the fish of course you will look for a better price but if you want that fish in that tank the you see right now your going to pull out the card and pay for it leaving happy because you got that fish.

being form a city with a much smaller market and only 1 lfs which i would stack up to any of the best in alberta for service knowledge and pricing.

if i remember i will post again tomorrow or sat with updates to my experiences.

MitchM
05-13-2016, 05:29 PM
It's great to see civil discussion around Calgary fish stores.
I wish there were similar threads about Toronto and Vancouver stores.

Threads like these will help bring business to our favorite LFS.

Where's that "like" button that Titus promised us so many years ago?...:rolleyes: