PDA

View Full Version : Taking fish/corals on a plane

chefpaakk
01-29-2016, 03:31 PM
I am going to Montreal in 2 months, and am just curious if it's possible to buy fish or corals there, and then carry them on the plane and take them back to Vancouver. Anyone have a clue?

whatcaneyedo
01-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Security here told me that I could not carry them on because the amount of water would be over the allowable limit. It is possible to transport some coral without water, do your research first before attempting. We are allowed to package them into our checked baggage. If you purchase a small ridged cooler that should be easy enough to do. Ask security for yourself when you depart on your trip, policies may have changed for the better in the last few years but I doubt it.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Last time, my friend had to ship her stuff home with a cargo carrier, even though she was told twice by WestJet. This was maybe 10 years ago. She mentioned her cooler at the desk at the airport and they made her send her stuff home on a separate cargo plane, not in the cargo hold of her plane. They told her it was because of the saltwater.

Best to check with your own carrier and get it confirmed.

Anthony

gobytron
01-29-2016, 06:14 PM
With the way airlines work today, I don't think it's worth the risk/hassle.

Myka
01-29-2016, 06:26 PM
They can go as checked baggage. I do it all the time. They can't be carry on.

gobytron
01-29-2016, 07:02 PM
You are basically putting your faith into a system that is very much at the discretion of whoever happens to be in charge at that given time.

Look at the guy who paid for an extra seat to take his Cello on American Airlines, then got shut down by West Jet in Vancouver.

It would definitely be a big hassle for someone to shut you down if it was in checked baggage, so i can see how that would offer less chance of a mishap.

I was taking my Chihuahua as checked baggage a few years back, even though i had done it several times before, and was all of a sudden told he would have to go in cargo.

I had to make a pretty big deal and go through 3 different staff before they basically just said okay.

Worst part...there was one other dog and one cat on the same plane.

Made 0 sense.

Have flown with him 5-10 times since to Canada, Mexico and USA and no issues since.

chefpaakk
01-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the input folks!

gobytron
01-29-2016, 07:53 PM
definitely let us know how it goes if you go for it...