PDA

View Full Version : Ick on a Mandarin?

LeanneP
01-26-2016, 06:45 AM
I have had my tank running for 4 years and have never had anything in my tank. Last year I got a copperband that was in quarentine for 7 weeks and I thought it had lymphocytes and they went away. I know it is a virus and it didn't seem too serious from all the reading I did. My parameters have been a bit off lately and I have a bit of phosphate- 0.11 and now suddenly several of my fish have spots on them. Even one spot on the fin of my mandarin? I didn't think mandarins could get ick so is it more likely to be velvet? Can't believe this is happening. I have no idea how I am going to get all my fish out of my tank.

gobytron
01-26-2016, 04:34 PM
you need to post pics...
Ich can live in system without infecting for a long, long time.

LeanneP
01-27-2016, 03:47 AM
Well, I think that my mandarin has ick. There is a spot on top of his back where his back fin starts and some on the bottom of his fins. Is this for sure ick? Was really hard to get good pics. What is the best method for a mandarin? Hypo?

hillegom
01-27-2016, 03:55 AM
If its ich, if one fish has it, all of them could be infected. Some just can deal with ich better. Ich usually infects the gills first, so its hard to spot.
If you cure the mandarin, out of the tank, when he goes back in, he could be infected again.
I would treat all the fish, and leave your DT fallow for 8 weeks

LeanneP
01-27-2016, 04:00 AM
Yes, I realize about treating all the fish and leaving the tank fallow. I didn't think that you could give copper to a mandarin since they only have a slime coat. I have tried to upload photos but it hasn't worked. Just want to know best way to treat the mandarin if copper is not available.

George
01-27-2016, 05:35 AM
Tank transfer method or Chloroquine phosphate (new life spectrum ick shield powder).

LeanneP
01-27-2016, 05:47 AM
Thanks. Just saw the ick shield today. I will have to get some. Didn't realize you could use it for mandarins. Is it effective?

rsisvixen
01-27-2016, 08:08 AM
Do you have any sand in your tank?

My mandarin sleeps in a cave my dartfish dug out, I have a fine sandbed and he'll usually have a few grains stuck to his mucus coating in the mornings. They fall off once he starts swimming around.
Mandarins are unlikely to get ich unless already sick or overly stressed as they have a thick mucus layer.

George
01-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Thanks. Just saw the ick shield today. I will have to get some. Didn't realize you could use it for mandarins. Is it effective?

It is very effective against marine ich. make sure you get the powder to dissolve it in your QT tank, not the pellet. The problem with pellets is that 1. your mandarin might not eat it. 2. it's impossible to eat enough of it to be effective.
Good luck.

LeanneP
01-27-2016, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the info. Blue spot gobys don't have have a slime coat do they?

Coasting
01-27-2016, 05:05 PM
All fish have a slight slime coat.... some fish like mandarins have much thicker ones.
Just as Rsisvixen said.

gobytron
01-27-2016, 05:07 PM
ALL fish have a slime coat.

Here's some information for you to read over.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/f'bodyslimes.htm