PDA

View Full Version : Starry Blenny ID?

AquaAddict
01-24-2016, 11:06 PM
My Starry Blenny doesn't have any 'stars'. It looks like the Starry Blenny on the Live Aquaria website in almost every other way except that the multiple stars all over the body are absent and its background colour is more medium purple than black.

Do I have a different fish? Also, it is aggressive to my damsel.

AquaAddict

PS only 2 fish in my tank right now as I am upgrading from 100 gals to 150 gals

Coasting
01-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Perhaps you can post a photo?

A starry blenny with NO white spots... making it all 1 colour... is likely a black sailfin or combtooth (depending on tail colour)

AquaAddict
01-25-2016, 03:29 AM
He is lightening fast and doesn't like to be seen except at mealtimes thus, no pics.

He has the four white spots along his body that a Starry Blenny has - just missing the 'stars'

I looked up those other blennies and he doesn't look like those ones either but thanks for the tips.

AquaAddict

reefmandan
01-26-2016, 05:47 PM
I find that the blennies can change their colour quite a bit based on feeding and temperment. If my guy is happy, he is generally darker and the stars show up a bit more. If I'm in the tank, he gets a bit stressed and his colour fades, along with his stars.

The Guy
01-26-2016, 06:32 PM
They are all different I guess my Starry always comes to see what I'm doing and very friendly especially at feeding time he swims into my hand to get the mysis, very cool fish, and never changes his colour.

AquaAddict
01-27-2016, 03:25 AM
Looks like it really is a Starry Blenny from what you are saying. Thanks for the replies to help me out.

Maybe his aggressiveness is due to the damsel. When I move everything over to my holding tank while I am setting up the 150 gal., I will sell the Damsel.

It is a Springer's Damoiselle and may be rather rare. I haven't seen one for sale since I bought it a couple of years ago.

AquaAddict