PDA

View Full Version : Tank Upgrade Questions..

Stnbrgn
01-24-2016, 10:35 PM
First off I'd like to say I haven't posted much on this forum but more so used it to gain info on the hobby. I'm upgrading from my current 90 gallon to a custom 300G (72"x36"x27). For flow I'm looking to use one Mp60 and one Mp40 per side to make a nice gyre effect with the four pumps, however I'm not sure if the mp60s will be fine or if I should go with two mp40s per side, my plan is for a 2" sand bed, and don't want to move the sand too much, also none of the rock work will be touching any of the glass. My next question is regarding lighting, my original plan was to go with an 60" ATI 8 bulb Led/T5 Hybrid but i am now leaning towards going with 5 radion pros as then the majority of my equipment would be ecotech products and i could use reef link for all of it. My plan is for an sps dominated reef so I want the best colours and growth long term. Which light would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance.

Myka
01-25-2016, 02:57 AM
For SPS, I'd really recommend you don't use LEDs are primary light source, and I would suggest that you don't settle with a 60" fixture, and go with (2) 36" fixtures to cover the whole length. I could see why you might want to use Radions, and out of all the LEDS available the Radion is definitely one of my favs. You can't go wrong with the ATI hybrid either. However, since your tank is going to be 36" wide, none of these options will cover that width. How is your tank being located? I'm wondering if using (3) 36" fixtures on end would be a reasonable option for you or if it would look funny. You'd certainly get better coverage this way. If you really want to use Radions, you could run a combo using T5s as well.

For the pumps, I'd probably go with (2) MP60s and probably end up adding (2) MP40s once the corals start growing in. Or you could throw a Gyre into the mix, an XF150 would replace a MP60 - they move A LOT of water.

Craigdillman
01-25-2016, 03:47 AM
Have you thought about making a canopy and maybe doing rations in the middle and supplemental t5s down both sides, get the best of both worlds and you could get good spred and coverage from it

Stnbrgn
01-26-2016, 12:47 AM
For SPS, I'd really recommend you don't use LEDs are primary light source, and I would suggest that you don't settle with a 60" fixture, and go with (2) 36" fixtures to cover the whole length. I could see why you might want to use Radions, and out of all the LEDS available the Radion is definitely one of my favs. You can't go wrong with the ATI hybrid either. However, since your tank is going to be 36" wide, none of these options will cover that width. How is your tank being located? I'm wondering if using (3) 36" fixtures on end would be a reasonable option for you or if it would look funny. You'd certainly get better coverage this way. If you really want to use Radions, you could run a combo using T5s as well.

For the pumps, I'd probably go with (2) MP60s and probably end up adding (2) MP40s once the corals start growing in. Or you could throw a Gyre into the mix, an XF150 would replace a MP60 - they move A LOT of water.
The reason I was leaning towards the radions was I liked the option of controlling most things through my phone using the reef link, even when not at home. I also like the fact I could use modes like storm mode etc which would communicate with the radions, vortechs and the vectra return pump, gimmicky but if I'm spending the money I thought it would be a cool option to have.
The tank will be placed almost in the corner of the basement 30" away from the wall, 3 sides will be viewable. I don't plan to have a canopy as i like the open top look and want the light fixture to look sleek and not bulky which is why I don't think I'd like to go with 3x 36" hybrids that and I don't really want to spend 8g on lighting alone as this is my first house and this tank has to be on a "budget". Most of my rock work will be located in the middle 5'Lx2'W which is where I'll keep all my sps, the outer area will contain a varies of zoas and lps. I could go with 2x 36" ati hybrids but you were saying I won't get full coverage with those, you don't think if hung high enough it could spread to the Outer corners? If I was to use the radion t5 combo how many radions would I use and how many t5s would you think I need? I know the radions do best mounted roughly 7" from the waters surface, so the units will have to be fairly close. As for pumps I've owned vortechs ever since I've had a tank but in the last year sold them all for gyres, I love the flow of the gyre and I'm sure I'll have an xf180 in my tank at some point but the real reason I want to go with the vortechs, to most this will be something dumb but I like that I can easily remove and clean the wet side, I don't have any algae coralline or other growing on my pumps, returns etc as I like the clean look.

Have you thought about making a canopy and maybe doing rations in the middle and supplemental t5s down both sides, get the best of both worlds and you could get good spred and coverage from it
Any recommendations as for good brands of supplemental t5's?