PDA

View Full Version : ich

Peter Peng
01-23-2016, 07:57 PM
My purple tang has a tiny bit of ich on him but he's eating fine so I dosed my display with half the normal dose of ich-x as I read it can be used in the main tank. Now almost all my lps is ****ed off and close, will this affect anything?

thanks

corpusse
01-23-2016, 08:54 PM
There are no reef safe effective methods for treating ich. You need to remove your fish and treat them all outside the reef, then keep the tank fishless for at least 72 days to eliminate ich.

Tank transfer method is the easiest, copper is not too bad depending on what other fish you have. hyposalinity is the only other method that works but is by far the hardest of the 3 effective methods.

Last year I tore down my reef to get my fish out, it sucked but they are back in and things are going well again. It wasn't fun but it had to be done.

George
01-23-2016, 10:48 PM
My purple tang has a tiny bit of ich on him but he's eating fine so I dosed my display with half the normal dose of ich-x as I read it can be used in the main tank. Now almost all my lps is ****ed off and close, will this affect anything?

thanks

Are you sure it's ich?
ich-x doesn't work on ich. You might want to run do some water change and run some carbon to get the med out of your water.
For fraction of the cost of a purple tang, you can set up a quarantine system. let me know if you want to do that and I can tell you what you need.
Or you can leave it as it is. Your fish may or may not survive.

There are no reef safe effective methods for treating ich. You need to remove your fish and treat them all outside the reef, then keep the tank fishless for at least 72 days to eliminate ich.

Tank transfer method is the easiest, copper is not too bad depending on what other fish you have. hyposalinity is the only other method that works but is by far the hardest of the 3 effective methods.

Last year I tore down my reef to get my fish out, it sucked but they are back in and things are going well again. It wasn't fun but it had to be done.

There is a fourth treatment, chloroquine phosphate, that has been proven to effectively treat ich. The problem is to find the real chloroquine phosphate.
New life spectrum ick shield *powder* has ingredient closely relates to chloroquine phosphate and proves to work as well.
my recommended treatment for ich in the order of effectiveness and less stress on fish is:
1. tank transfer method
2. chloroquine phosphate
3. hypo
4. copper

maron6977
01-24-2016, 12:04 AM
I've had recent good results with:
Raise temp up to 81 - speeds up life cycle
Soak food in liquid garlic - I feed twice a day
Room really smells like garlic but seems to work.

My tangs were covered bad , really bad . Doing fine now . After the garlic gets in their system it seems to repel the parasites . Like bug spray .
IMO

Good luck

gregzz4
01-24-2016, 01:06 AM
Peter, there are no proven 'reef-safe' additives/medications for Marine Ich.
If there were, methods such as hypo salinity, tank transfer, and even quarantine in general, would be things of the past.

George
01-24-2016, 06:28 PM
I've had recent good results with:
Raise temp up to 81 - speeds up life cycle
Soak food in liquid garlic - I feed twice a day
Room really smells like garlic but seems to work.

My tangs were covered bad , really bad . Doing fine now . After the garlic gets in their system it seems to repel the parasites . Like bug spray .
IMO

Good luck

hehe...a lot of voodoo magic there. I wouldn't try any of above.

Galizio
01-25-2016, 03:40 AM
Garlic could be effective, my blue tang had ich when I got him 3 years ago, really common with this kind of fish, so I got an uv sterilizer, and soak frozen food with 1 drop of the garlic solution, also the seaweed had garlic in it.
Got lucky because don't had to set up a quarantine tank....
Now is healthy and ich never came back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maron6977
01-25-2016, 04:15 AM
hehe...a lot of voodoo magic there. I wouldn't try any of above.

I've found to catch the fish & put him in a newly set up QT is more stressful . If the fish is happy & eating , I usually just leave him in his home .

Peter Peng
01-25-2016, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the help, unfortunately setting up a quarantine right away isen't an option for me right now but is something I will do for the near future.

Im feeding my tang a little bit of new life spectrum ick guard and mysis soaked in fresh crushed garlic
Also picked up a UV sterilizer rated for 250gallons which hopefully will help with the situation

Im dosing polyp lab's medic and reducing stress and hopefully she can come back on her own

Thanks again for all the advice and wish me luck

Peter Peng
01-31-2016, 02:55 AM
Thanks to all the help,

My tang has now recovered with no visible signs of ick.

Im setting up a small quarantine for any new fish in the future

mihaivapler
01-31-2016, 03:14 AM
Thanks to all the help,

My tang has now recovered with no visible signs of ick.

Im setting up a small quarantine for any new fish in the future
I have a lot of tangs in my tank ,about 15 of them and out of these 3 are blue tangs but I never had a problem with them, have since day 1 a 55 Watts uv sterilizers and a cleaner wrasse and I think this is the magic combination. .rather invest in a good sterilizer then thorn out the tank to catch the fish or even worst loosing all the fish's. ...