PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip!

Mushroom Boy
12-05-2001, 01:54 AM
Hi everybody.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in coming to a meeting of the Puget Sound Aquarium Society in Seattle. I talked to Shadetree a few weeks back and he mentioned that some of you may be interested. I talked to a couple of guys in our club and we'd definitely like to come up and meet with you guys at your meeting sometime. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and thought it would be fun to get something like this going. Talk to you soon.

Paul.

StirCrazy
12-05-2001, 02:02 AM
that would be neet but would have to have a fairly long plan ahead hehe

Steve

Shadetree
12-05-2001, 04:47 AM
It would be great to attend a meeting but I think the reality would be a day when we can all get together and do a small tank tour. What do you think Paul? Do you think there are others you could convince. Your tank is already worth a visit based on the plumbing job alone, nevermind the livestock. None of us has even seen the Ampmaster, well I have images/smiles/icon_wink.gif . I know of a couple of tanks up here worth the trip.

Scott

Mushroom Boy
12-05-2001, 11:34 AM
Sounds great to me. Actually, and I know this is a little ways off, but our May meeting is scheduled to be the "Member's Tank Tour". Basically, we're going to be mapping out a course for an all day event to see as many local tanks as possible.

I talked to Chuck, and he is definitely into the idea of heading up your way also. I'll bring it up at our next meeting (Dec 14) and see how many others would be into it as well.

By the way, if anybody wants to get on our mailing list, just drop me a line at merkling@jps.net or npem@airborne.com and I'll send you our monthly newsletter.

Paul.

DJ88
12-05-2001, 12:40 PM
I think a trip down would be great. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Always been curious when I see your posts concerning a meeting for your club. Have been concindering it a few times. Do you have one planned for Jan? I have a few weeks off and may be up for a day of visiting.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And welcome to the board. Dont know if Scott had mentioned it. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Mushroom Boy
12-05-2001, 08:49 PM
Hi Darren,

Thanks for the welcome images/smiles/icon_smile.gif. We've got a meeting planned for January. Usually, we meet the second Friday of each month at 7pm. Although, that's not set in stone. At
January's meeting, we'll be talking about deep sand beds and will have a sand swap. I'm going to set up a small tank to house the sand that everyone brings. I'll mix it together and feed it for a month, and then at the February meeting, we'll redistribute it to everyone who participated. Hopefully get a better diversity of critters in your sandbed. Whoa, I'm rambling images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DJ88
12-05-2001, 09:04 PM
January is a possibility for sure.. At least for me. I am off after the 14th till feb.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I shall add that to the list of things to do.. and bring sand of course.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Shadetree
12-06-2001, 02:41 AM
Darren I think I might be up for the January trip, but be forewarned that a bag of "live sand" will go over like a ton of bricks at the border, definately going down and probably coming back. I went down to see Paul a couple of weeks ago and when I pulled up to the border I was ordered to put the car in park, roll down the rear windows (tinted rear wondows in the wifes' pathfinder), unlock all the doors and turn off the ignition. They then efficiently looked through the entire vehicle and studied both our drivers licences and birth certificates. You might not even be allowed to cross without two pieces of ID and proof of citizenship.

Scott

DJ88
12-06-2001, 03:16 AM
Ahh I have my passport.. Tho I won't have my military ID anymore.. that would help lots I bet..

And I dont know if I can bring a BAG of sand.. lol.. I only have a 33gallon tank Scott.. lol.. no ginormous thingy you have.. lol.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Shadetree
12-06-2001, 02:40 PM
Boder patrol: "what is that white grainy substance in the ziploc bag sir?"
Darren:"Live sand."
BP: As he motions quietly for backup,"What kind of sand did you say."
D:"Live. Full of BACTERIA, micro fauna, and hundreds, possibly thousands of different MICRO ORGANISIMS."
BP:With the help of four other guards,"Please step out of the truck sir.","When was the last time you were subjected to an invasive cavity search? Will you be able to reassemble your truck after we are done our inspection?"

Maybe we should just carpool from the American side of the border. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Scott

[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: Shadetree ]

DJ88
12-07-2001, 11:33 AM
Funny Scott.. lol

We WOULD be taking YOUR truck tho.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

hee hee

Let me know if you want to go. I'd be up for it.

Troy F
12-07-2001, 06:14 PM
Hilarious Scott.

Pre-9/11 I brought back ten pounds of live sand I purchased in Seattle from a shop Dr. Shimek recommended. The border guard looked at me like I had second...err third head but told me to roll on through. I'd think you'd have a heck of a lot tougher time heading down than up with suspicious cargo.

Mushroom Boy
12-10-2001, 01:21 PM
Too funny Scott! images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

My dog is from Vancouver and when we picked him up as a pup (4 years ago) we had no trouble at the border at all. The US border guy kind of had a funny look on his face when I told him why we were up there, but then he asked if he could see the dog and wanted to pet him. Didn't even want to see any vaccination paperwork. Gone are the days....

I'll post a note here when the date of the January meeting is firmed up.

Paul.

titus
12-10-2001, 02:05 PM
Hello,

Oh ya I was images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif when I saw Scott's post.
Hey check this out. When we crossed border to Fort Lewis for exercises, it would go something like this:

Number 1 truck
Custom: What's at the back of your truck, Sir
Canadian: Radios
Number 2 truck
Custom: What's at the back of your truck
Canadian: C-7 Rifles
Number 3 truck
Custom: What's at the back of your truck, Sir
Canadian: Ammunition, Explosives, and Pyrotechnics

Mushroom Boy
01-01-2002, 04:31 AM
As an update, our next meeting is set for January 12th at 7pm. If anyone wants directions or other info, let me know. It would be fun to meet some of you. I read the thread about you guys organizing your club. Sounds great! I'll work on rallying some of our folks to make a day trip up there sometime. Happy New Year!!!

Paul.

DJ88
01-09-2002, 09:29 PM
Scott,

You still want to go?

Anyone else?

Let me know.

Shadetree
01-11-2002, 02:59 AM
Darren,

It is a no go this weekend, have some running around to do and some motivating to do in regards to plumbing a tank images/smiles/icon_wink.gif I am going to the next one though.

Scott