PDA

View Full Version : Calcium and magnesium issues

sdeschutter
01-16-2016, 05:39 PM
Hey everyone I'm worried about my calcium and magnesium levels. When I tested yesterday Cal was at 330ppm and magnesium was 1500ppm. I have read that I want my Cal between 380-450 and Mag at 1250-1350. The Cal reactor has been going for a two weeks. Prior to adding the reactor I brought those two parameters up to proper levels then added the reactor so it was easier to dial in. My question is should I be concerned? And if so what should I do to raise Cal levels and lower Mag. Btw I have hand 4 sps frags in the tank since Boxing Day and they seem to be doing ok.

Myka
01-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Which calcium reactor media are you using? What is alkalinity at? What were the tests for cal, alk, and mag at the day you started the calcium reactor?

Ryanerickson
01-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Mag will be fine at that level I would manually bring calcium up what's your alk at?

sdeschutter
01-16-2016, 11:47 PM
I'm using Arm course I got it from J&L,

Myka
01-16-2016, 11:53 PM
I'm using Arm course I got it from J&L,

Ok, my answer is 42 because I can't give you a more accurate answer unless you answer the rest of the questions. :)

sdeschutter
01-17-2016, 12:54 AM
My alkalinity is 3.5. I don't know what the water parameters were when I set up the reactor. A week before I set up the reactor my water parameters were Mag 1000, Cal 400, and not sure about Alk. After I got those two readings I added Mag buffer and followed the instruction that said how much I should use to bring Mag to 1300. After adding the buffer I assume that the Mag level would be proper in about a week. So I fired up the reactor.

Myka
01-17-2016, 01:17 AM
Ah ok. We'll hold off on dosing any more Mg. Manually add alk and cal until you get to your target range and turn up the reactor effluent.

Ryanerickson
01-17-2016, 02:33 AM
From what i read it sounds like your not that concerned about alk in my opinion it's the most important thing to test it can go too high or too low pretty easy especially with a new calcium reactor I would be testing alk and ca every day tell dialed in.

gtareef
02-14-2016, 03:55 AM
I think your alk is a bit high. From my experience every time my alk goes above 9dkh (3.21 meg) my sps gets burn tip.

The readings are not consistent based on the amount of frags/corals you have in your tank. I would test twice just to be sure or get new test kits. Once you have confirmed that your parameters are correct then adjust everything slowly.

I would do mag first, alk, then cal. But if everything in your tank are doing well then I wouldn't panic.

If both mag and alk are high then you should let them drop naturally. Just add calcium manual until all parameters are in checked then turn back your calcium reactor.

Do you have a controller for your cal reactor?

Old post but still would like to know if you have resolved your issue.