PDA

View Full Version : Flow for Feed line for Ca reactor same as affluent?

LeanneP
01-14-2016, 11:25 PM
I am trying to set up a ca reactor and have had endless issues with it. I have the pump and everything hooked up and had my flow to feed line at about 50ml/min which was suggested by another reefer. My effluent was set at about 44 drips per minute. Am I supposed to only have as much going through the feed line as is going out the effluent line? Because my bubble counter filled up with water and started leaking because of the excess water or is there something wrong with my reactor?

Aquattro
01-14-2016, 11:40 PM
I'd guess something wrong. I feed tons in, get drops out. No leaks

Aquattro
01-14-2016, 11:40 PM
There should probably be a check valve on the input to the bubble counter

LeanneP
01-14-2016, 11:51 PM
Yes, there is a check valve. I actually had to replace it because it was leaking but I still think that it may not be working right. I actually have an extra bubble counter because I wasn't sure if it might still be faulty. If there is more flow going into the reactor and less coming out as effluent, wouldn't the water level be constantly dropping in the sump?

rynoe
01-15-2016, 01:07 AM
Is the effluent line running down hill? What brand of reactor?

maron6977
01-15-2016, 01:08 AM
Got any pic , so we know what your dealing with ?
I just set mine up a month ago

TimT
01-15-2016, 01:09 AM
Hi Leanne,

Water in must equal water out. Just regulate the water going in and let it come out the effluent line on it's own. Otherwise the reactor can get pressurized and if the co2 feed pressure is not high enough you will get water in the co2 line.

maron6977
01-15-2016, 01:14 AM
Hi Leanne,

Water in must equal water out. Just regulate the water going in and let it come out the effluent line on it's own. Otherwise the reactor can get pressurized and if the co2 feed pressure is not high enough you will get water in the co2 line.

I just reg. on the out & no prob . Maxi cobalt 1200 for feed . Check valve on co2 bubble counter on reactor . I use bubble counter on co2 reg to count bubbles

Aquattro
01-15-2016, 01:21 AM
Hi Leanne,

I guess my CO2 is high enough :) But I do have a passive feed spliced off return. Although, I used to run a pump and no issues then either. Maybe I'm just extra lucky!!

LeanneP
01-15-2016, 02:23 AM
Hi Leanne,

Thanks Tim. That was what I was wondering. It didn't make sense to me to pump in so much but I was wondering if the feed line would just slow down when the reactor was full and not using so much water. I am using a maxi jet 1200 and using the airline feed and there is another line for the excess flow.

iamfrontosa
01-15-2016, 06:03 AM
Hi Leanne,
I am with Mark (maron6977) on this one. Same way I set mine up.
My feed water from maxi jet 1200 is very slow. 50ml/min is the reading from my calcium's reactor integrated flow meter. I am not sure what that translated into 'drips per min.'
Maybe try tuning down your feed water, and see if there's still a leak. Excess pressure can cause leakage. My particular calcium reactor will cause a leak where the pH probe goes if too much pressure from feed water. It is built that way.
Just don't turn on your co2 until you are happy with the flow rate.

iamfrontosa
01-15-2016, 04:01 PM
Just tested the flow. Feed water going into my calcium reactor is 150mL/min and my effluent is 50mL/min.