PDA

View Full Version : LF Peppermint shrimp. YVR

Dendromad
01-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Looking for one or two peppermint shrimp in Vancouver for a 10 gallon reef.

hillegom
01-14-2016, 08:07 PM
j & l had lots two weeks ago

Dendromad
01-14-2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks, I'll check them out. On their website said they are out of stock though

Coasting
01-14-2016, 08:14 PM
+1 J&L they almost always have some.
Don't rely on the website for livestock stock info. Give them a phone call. And if they have some you can always ask for a few to be put on hold for a day, if you're worried about somebody else swiping them out from under you ;)

kyl
01-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Everything is out of stock on the website, but as of Sunday they still had a tank full of peppermints.

hillegom
01-14-2016, 08:24 PM
If you want them for aptasia, these are the ones to buy
Bought two, two weeks ago and placed them in my 10 gal in the garage that is holding LR with these plague glass anemones. At least one was eating them and in two days, there are none left.

Dendromad
01-14-2016, 10:42 PM
If you want them for aptasia, these are the ones to buy
Bought two, two weeks ago and placed them in my 10 gal in the garage that is holding LR with these plague glass anemones. At least one was eating them and in two days, there are none left.

yes I want them for apitasia, tried Apitasa X and it made it a lot worse. would rather a "natural" remedy though don't want them going after my coral! What are you feeding them now there is no apitasia

1bigstud
01-15-2016, 06:38 AM
You're rolling the dice with peppermints. While there supposed to eat aiptasia it's really a matter of luck wether or not they do in a tank.

hillegom
01-15-2016, 07:19 AM
yes I want them for apitasia, tried Apitasa X and it made it a lot worse. would rather a "natural" remedy though don't want them going after my coral! What are you feeding them now there is no apitasia

They eat anything the fish would eat.

hillegom
01-15-2016, 07:26 AM
You're rolling the dice with peppermints. While there supposed to eat aiptasia it's really a matter of luck wether or not they do in a tank.

I agree.
Thats why I bought two, and said in my post at least one of the shrimp was eating the aptasia. (I could not see both eating at the same time, so do not know if both ate. Because the tank is filled to the brim with LR) This says to me, J&L has at least some pepermints that eat aptasia. I think good odds

Aquattro
01-15-2016, 11:51 AM
They eat anything the fish would eat.

Ya, they eat everything. I have 8 or so in my tank, and didn't have aptasia to begin with. Just overall good cleaners, eat left over food, etc.

Oddly, peppermints usually being very secretive, mine are out all the time, can't trim corals without them climbing all over my hands.

hillegom
01-15-2016, 05:39 PM
Ya, they eat everything. I have 8 or so in my tank, and didn't have aptasia to begin with. Just overall good cleaners, eat left over food, etc.

Oddly, peppermints usually being very secretive, mine are out all the time, can't trim corals without them climbing all over my hands.

Yes they will eat the dead skin off your hands as well.
I had a cleaner shrimp, very mature, big one. I put my hand in the tank one time with a big scab from a cut, maybe a week or more old on the back of the hand. The cleaner went on my hand as usual, picking away, then found the scab. I was just glancing at him when I saw him hunker down with all legs while having ahold of the scab. He gave a huge push and he separated the scab off.
So surprised, and hurt, I whipped my hand out. Sure enough I was bleeding.
Bugger