PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Ati sunpower

chefpaakk
01-14-2016, 05:09 PM
So with my ATI sunpower arriving soon, and am torn on how to mount it.
I currently rent, so putting holes in the ceiling is out of the question.

Has anyone mounted theirs off some sort of stand? Or even the wall?

If anyone could give me insight or pictures, it'd be greatly appreciated!

duncangweller
01-14-2016, 05:39 PM
I think about this all the time.

I have seen people fabricate 90° 'arms' made from all kinds of materials and then use the hanging kit with the light to hang from the bars. Im not a huge fan of that look but it does the job

I think, if the the day comes when I actually make the switch back to t5 then I would have something custom made for the job.

I like the look of the AI EXT rail system so I would go for something like that, with a custom bracket to hold the light. A kind of claw if you wish.

Either way, would probably cost a few bucks.

Myka
01-14-2016, 05:52 PM
So with my ATI sunpower arriving soon, and am torn on how to mount it.
I currently rent, so putting holes in the ceiling is out of the question.

Do it anyway. :D Then when you move just put a bit of white filler (DAP Alex Plus is good) and no one will be the wiser. Most renters do more damage than a couple of screws in the ceiling.

chefpaakk
01-14-2016, 07:51 PM
Id also be worried about trying to hang it on the ceiling and getting the damn thing to be straight!!

I am waiting for quotes on custom items but they seem to be taking their sweet ass time!!

Myka
01-14-2016, 08:07 PM
Id also be worried about trying to hang it on the ceiling and getting the damn thing to be straight!!

Use a plumb bob. :)

TheZoalander
01-14-2016, 10:53 PM
Bracket from Lee Valley

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/page.aspx?p=45231&cat=3,50659&ap=1

mike31154
01-14-2016, 11:23 PM
Do it anyway. :D Then when you move just put a bit of white filler (DAP Alex Plus is good) and no one will be the wiser. Most renters do more damage than a couple of screws in the ceiling.

+1. Surely renters are allowed to hang pictures on the wall, making holes that are repaired when they move. Ceiling should be no different. If possible, use a stud finder to locate something solid to screw into. Drywall anchors for ceilings are available, but not as strong as a rafter or joist. If the light assembly is not that heavy, then no worries really.

GoFish
01-14-2016, 11:25 PM
Bracket from Lee Valley
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/page.aspx?p=45231&cat=3,50659&ap=1

Not sure how many bulbs are in the fixture? But looks like the design of that would get in the way. Unless you flip the bracket 90 degrees counter clockwise from the photo? I think its a bit easier touching up holes in the ceiling than the wall, looks wise anyway. Not sure how you'd mount an ATI/bracket to wall without doing some sort of damage to the wall

Good call. I use these at work but ended up using fishing line tied to a nail

Whats your stand made of? Can it be moved to screw brackets into it from behind?
Reefsupplies carries the AI EXT rails (as Duncan mentioned), I'd ask how much weight they're rated for
https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/images/P/vega-48-rail.jpg

spit.fire
01-15-2016, 01:22 AM
LMK what you're looking for quotes on, i can get you one, generally take about a day to get the quote

plumb bobs are a thing of the past, lasers are where its at

WarDog
01-15-2016, 01:38 AM
LMK what you're looking for quotes on, i can get you one, generally take about a day to get the quote

Quote for what Tyler? I read the thread and am kinda confused. 'Custom items'... more confused.

chefpaakk
01-15-2016, 02:44 AM
+1. Surely renters are allowed to hang pictures on the wall, making holes that are repaired when they move. Ceiling should be no different. If possible, use a stud finder to locate something solid to screw into. Drywall anchors for ceilings are available, but not as strong as a rafter or joist. If the light assembly is not that heavy, then no worries really.

Yeah I get that. I'm am uncertain as to what's past the drywall. The floors are concrete.. Would they put the drywall right up to the concrete or would there be studs too?

Also I know all the studs in the building are the steel studs. They aren't the easiest to find.

chefpaakk
01-15-2016, 02:49 AM
I also think it might pose difficult to mount to an stand on an already filled tank.. Unless I drilled from the inside of the stand I guess.. But my sump is so large it's difficult to maneuver under there.

Tyler, the place that is quoting me says they would have one for me end of day tomorrow. I'll shoot you a diagram see what you think in the early am.

Ryanerickson
01-15-2016, 02:55 AM
I am waiting for quotes on custom items but they seem to be taking their sweet ass time!!

Warren

Myka
01-15-2016, 03:01 AM
Yeah I get that. I'm am uncertain as to what's past the drywall. The floors are concrete.. Would they put the drywall right up to the concrete or would there be studs too?

Also I know all the studs in the building are the steel studs. They aren't the easiest to find.

The Drywall ceiling will be off the concrete to leave room for pipes and wiring. They could be wood or steel. If they're steel, use a strong magnet to find them. Stud finders for wood don't work well if you have popcorn ceiling, low profile spackling works better. You can knock and hear the sound change when you're on a wood stud if you have a good ear. You can usually find a stud if you take a look behind a light fixture in the ceiling, and measure 16" on center. Sometimes the studs are 24" on center in condos though.

WarDog
01-15-2016, 03:23 AM
Warren

Ah yes Ryan, thanks! So Tyler IS trying to solicit business right under my nose. Tisk tisk. Bad Tyler!

iamfrontosa
01-15-2016, 06:22 AM
I hang my 60" ATI Sunpower off the 18" ceiling. Best decision ever. Very clean look. I think you should go for it and patch it back up when you move. ATI hanging kits comes with butterfly anchors, and that's what I used. Didn't hit the studs. If you have aluminum studs, you probably wouldn't want to damage it.

Get a laser level. Laydown the light flat on top of your tank. Point the level up to the the ceiling and just use a pen to mark where you should drill.

spit.fire
01-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Ah yes Ryan, thanks! So Tyler IS trying to solicit business right under my nose. Tisk tisk. Bad Tyler!

Just trying to help a fellow reefer out :wink: I am a fabricator and all...

Galizio
01-16-2016, 04:12 AM

Make sure if are 2x2 or 2x4 steel studs, also be careful cause water pipe and electrical wires are really close to the studs, when they do drywall ceiling on condos they most likely try to save as much space possible so concrete can be just2" past the drywall sometime... If I was you will get an custom hanging kit made... Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myka
01-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Make sure if are 2x2 or 2x4 steel studs, also be careful cause water pipe and electrical wires are really close to the studs, when they do drywall ceiling on condos they most likely try to save as much space possible so concrete can be just2" past the drywall sometime... If I was you will get an custom hanging kit made... Just my opinion

Building code requires those pipes and wires to have protection - usually little steel plates that are mounted on the stud where the lines are.

Galizio
01-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Building code requires those pipes and wires to have protection - usually little steel plates that are mounted on the stud where the lines are.

Not really, they use steel plate in wood building, on a condo where they use steel studs more likely they just use some plastic rings to make sure the pipes don't touch the steel studs holes, steel plate only get use if the pipes are really really close to the studs, most likely they take in consideration that drywall screw are 1-1/4 ", and believe me , I saw some were steel plate was not used or stuff like that, honestly is a big risk to take, if u flood 10 floor under you....

Galizio
01-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Most of the pipes are most of the time in the washroom, laundry room and kitchen, depends where the tank is

chefpaakk
01-16-2016, 03:12 PM
A risk I am not willing to take.. I think I'll stick with my original idea.. I just have to decide if I want to order a fixture stand off ebay/amazon, or if I want to have a custom one done.

Galizio
01-16-2016, 03:18 PM
A risk I am not willing to take.. I think I'll stick with my original idea.. I just have to decide if I want to order a fixture stand off ebay/amazon, or if I want to have a custom one done.

If u want I can came over and help if u decide to go for the ceiling hanging kit

chefpaakk
01-16-2016, 03:38 PM
If u want I can came over and help if u decide to go for the ceiling hanging kit

I really appreciate that Galizio, I'll let you know what I decide.

Thank you!

Myka
01-16-2016, 03:55 PM
You could use something like this if it's long enough, just turn it upside down so the bracing isn't in the way of the fixture. You don't need super strength - the fixture weighs less than 30 lbs.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsUjVU9ZwSX7VACUG07IhgsCYNumqQn 4tLiCQ_P7LjZH2EtLMO

Not really, they use steel plate in wood building, on a condo where they use steel studs more likely they just use some plastic rings to make sure the pipes don't touch the steel studs holes, steel plate only get use if the pipes are really really close to the studs, most likely they take in consideration that drywall screw are 1-1/4 ", and believe me , I saw some were steel plate was not used or stuff like that, honestly is a big risk to take, if u flood 10 floor under you....

Yes, you're right about the steel studs, but if they used steel studs, then the lines will be in the middle of the stud (where the holes are to run them) in which case they don't need to have the plates because the distance is great enough. The knockout in the steel stud will be in the middle of it, plus the thickness of the drywall means if you use 1" screws you won't hit anything. There is no need to use long screws with steel studs - just enough to go through the drywall and the thin wall of the stud. Usually in ceilings the wiring and pipes will be above the studs anyway. They only have to use the steel plates on wood framing or to protect high voltage lines.

The easiest way to check is to look in the access opening if there is one. There usually is an access in each unit. You can look in there and see the general style they used.

chefpaakk
01-16-2016, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=Myka;978761]You could use something like this if it's long enough, just turn it upside down so the bracing isn't in the way of the fixture. You don't need super strength - the fixture weighs less than 30 lbs.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsUjVU9ZwSX7VACUG07IhgsCYNumqQn 4tLiCQ_P7LjZH2EtLMO

This would be awesome, however, my tank sits 3 inches off the wall and I have a 30x30 tank, so I need at lease at 18" arm to be able to get anywhere nee the center of the tank.

Myka
01-16-2016, 06:54 PM
This would be awesome, however, my tank sits 3 inches off the wall and I have a 30x30 tank, so I need at lease at 18" arm to be able to get anywhere nee the center of the tank.

Ok, for an arm strap an 18" piece of steel or aluminum square tube on top of the bracket.

If you want it to look prettier, you can find nicer brackets, like these:
http://images.sdslondon.co.uk/img/upload/products/1/l_49201.jpg

For the arm add something like this (stainless steel tube):
http://www.cnbohome.com/ProductsPic/20115183527078.JPG

Then an end cap in either stainless steel or black plastic:
https://www.stockcap.com/store/images/D/Square-Tubing-Inserts-lrg.jpg

chefpaakk
01-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Wow Myka! I'm impressed! Where did you find all these things?

Plainswalker
01-21-2016, 10:17 PM
My idea's a little bit ghetto, but I actually don't mind it. Also, my wife didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the ceiling so I went with a DIY acrylic top-of-tank stand. I built three fat I-beams and set the sunpower on it:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-xfpVFqb/0/M/i-xfpVFqb-M.jpg

I've had these for 2+ years and I barely notice them. The clear acrylic is actually pretty tough and I haven't had any issues with them at all.

Myka
01-22-2016, 02:06 AM
Wow Myka! I'm impressed! Where did you find all these things?

I did some hunting around when I was going to do something similar with my ATI fixture. I ended up hanging it from the ceiling. :D I like that I can slide the fixture up higher when I'm doing a water change and lower it down for normal positioning.