PDA

View Full Version : New WTB: Startup 250 Gallon needs Corals, Fish, Invert

Vandowntownreef
01-12-2016, 02:32 AM
Have a 6 month old tank that is finally ready.

I am downtown and am looking for unique large colony corals, large fish and inverts that are unique.

As I am fairly new to the industry, your honesty is appreciated on if it will be reef safe.

please text 604 338 74 seven seven with what you have.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-12-2016, 03:28 AM
As a newbie, it's probably better to get your "feet wet" with lps (Large Polyp Stony corals) and softies before you tackle the harder to keep sps (Small Polyp Stony) corals. LPS include hammers/frogspawn/torch, brains, candycane/trumpet, scolymias, cynarias, bubbles. Softies include toadstools, leathers, mushrooms and zoanthids.

As for Reef Safe fish, in general Tangs and Rabbitfish are RS that also help by eating algae. Most gobies, blennies, cardinalfish, jawfish and many wrasses (fairy, flasher, canary, leopard) are RS although the first two family of wrasses are notorious jumpers and need a covered tank. RS also has multiple meanings. Hawkfish, for instance, are RS when it comes to corals but may snack on your shrimp and hermit crabs. Butterflyfish and larger (even some dwarf) angelfish are generally non-reefsafe cause they tend to nibble on corals.

Hope that helps.

Anthony

Vandowntownreef
01-12-2016, 03:38 AM
does help, yes, interested in everything new and old

spit.fire
01-12-2016, 03:48 AM
what kind of lighting do you have?

Vandowntownreef
01-12-2016, 04:06 AM
the latest. Tank was custom ordered, bow front. All the best equipment on the market.

She's a beauty and am very excited. Will post a pic

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-12-2016, 04:07 AM
What spitfire meant was do you have LEDs, Metal Halides, T5s, etc.?

I'm hosting a local reefers' BBQ/Get-together this Saturday at my place in Burnaby. If you're interested, look through the thread in the Lower Mainland subforum
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117368

and come on over. There should be about 20 or so local reefers coming over at various times of the day and it should be a good time with some tasty food, lots of fish/coral talk with fellow addicts, and a relaxed atmosphere where you can pick the brains of the local reefers. I also have a couple of established reef tanks and some fw tanks for you to look at if you come.

Anthony

Animal-Chin
01-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Have you been to Aquariums West in downtown Vancouver? They are your closest salt water store. They have some nice acans and duncans, hammers and frogspawn right now and they are fairly good starter coral IMO. Some really big colonies of hammer too from what I remember. They are located just outside of BC place...

Actually if you ever want to meet there I can meet you at lunch time and go over the stuff your interested in with you and help you out. I work just up the street...

rishu_pepper
01-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Have you been to Aquariums West in downtown Vancouver? They are your closest salt water store. They have some nice acans and duncans, hammers and frogspawn right now and they are fairly good starter coral IMO. Some really big colonies of hammer too from what I remember. They are located just outside of BC place...

Actually if you ever want to meet there I can meet you at lunch time and go over the stuff your interested in with you and help you out. I work just up the street...

While they have some nice stuff, be aware that pretty much all their tanks are heavily aiptasia infested. Just a warning since I'm sure you don't want that stuff in your tank. :wink:

kien
01-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Hmm.. I had to clean up some posts in here because...

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/lolcat-moderator_zpssv1gluyi.jpg

You know who you are. Let's play nice m'kay ? Please and thank you. That is all, carry on.

Animal-Chin
01-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Weird, I buy coral there all the time, never had apastia hitch a ride. Guess it depends what you buy and when...