PDA

View Full Version : Has a long term illness or condition in the family changed how you reef

Dearth
01-12-2016, 01:27 AM
Took this idea from another forum

In light of my recent heart attack I have had to make some short term plans for looking after my tank and at least for the next 6 months to a year I will have to make adjustments for consideration of my health and well being which could possibly become permanent depending on what the many tests I am taking find.

With that being said has having a long term or permanent condition changed the way you reefed or having a family member who has constant medical attention needs changed your mindset of how you reef or has it always been part of how you reef?

Reef Pilot
01-12-2016, 01:47 AM
Well, not permanent (or at least I hope not), but I did have rotator cuff surgery 5 months ago. That basically made me a one armed bandit for a couple months. Slowly starting to use my arm again (right arm), but still lots I can't do. I can't raise it yet or reach out very far (as when trying to reach into my tank). So it has definitely stopped me from doing some things that I had planned.

I want to redo my upstairs tank. That means removing/moving rocks and coral, but have been holding off until I have more use of both arms. Almost there now, though, so might attempt it in the not too distant future.

Having said all that, can't compare my condition to that of a heart attack or many other more severe and possibly long term condition. I still feel very fortunate for the good health I am enjoying.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-12-2016, 01:51 AM
First of all, sorry about your health condition. Hope your tests give you some good news.

As to your question, my girls love the reef tanks and know the names of most of my fish and corals. I have been training Felicia (and to a lesser extent Isabella) on how I do water changes, clean the glass, etc. I'm hoping that over time, they will remain interested in this addiction and be able to take over. Felicia is the more responsible older daughter so this will probably fall on her if anybody.

The other option is to do what we see on those "Island Life" and "House Hunters International" shows on tv and end up retiring to a tropical beach side paradise where we can snorkel or swim in the coral reefs and forget about keeping a tank at home:wink::biggrin:

Anthony

Fin2you
01-12-2016, 02:01 AM
I have to have surgery on my ankle so I need to "streamline my tank cleaning chores" so my husband can take over while I recover. He's always been my muscle & he'll pitch in here & there but more than that his fish keeping is limited to him enjoying my hard work.
We fully converted my FW tanks over to Seachem's Matrix in the filters instead of charcoal, replanted the tanks with volcanic soil. This has proven to cut needing to clean the tanks in 1/2. My 11 year old daughter has taken to feeding these 2 tanks.
The salt water tank is just being slowly set up & hubby has been involved so that he understands more the day to day. We are sticking with easy to care for corals right now & peaceful fish!

Aquattro
01-12-2016, 02:08 AM
I suppose my daughter's condition/issues reduce the amount of time/care I have for the tank. Lot's of hospitalizations, nurses in the house day and night have impacted my time with the tank. I've tried to balance things out so that it gets the minimum at least, but at the end of the day, it is just a box of water I call a hobby, and there are more important things in life to care about.

mseepman
01-12-2016, 03:46 AM
I was struggling through 2015 and finally got diagnosed as having RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis). As such, some days parts of me stop working and that has changed how my tank thrived (or failed to). I do my best to just ignore it and push through because the tank does a lot for helping me through stress and/or tough days. I relaxed on some of my habits and continue to try to automate more of the tank. I also had to learn to ask for help more readily if i'm having an attack and need to do something in the tank.

Myka
01-12-2016, 04:28 AM
I wish I was still there so I could help Mark! :)

hillegom
01-12-2016, 05:57 AM
Mark, You will persevere. You will do what needs to be done. It would be good if you train your significant other to do some chores while you are able. Then if/when you are disabled, someone can do temporarily what you cannot.
I hope you will have a minimum of problems.

I must say I am fine now, not a problem to do anything. Back to work. Tank is doing good.
In May 2011 I was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer. Went through chemo and radiation. And positive thinking helped.
Finished in June. Back to work in Aug. Really pushed myself to recover.
My tank suffered during this time. Some fish and corals died because of lack of maintenance.
I thought that I would be able to keep up the maintenance but that did not happen. I did not have fore sight to train anyone. I was just too weak.

Reef Pilot
01-12-2016, 02:21 PM
In May 2013 I was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer. Went through chemo and radiation. And positive thinking helped.
Finished in June. Back to work in Aug. Really pushed myself to recover.

Holy crap, Dietmar, didn't know you had that!! Glad you are OK now. I know a guy at our airport that had it. Thought he was a goner at the time, and felt really bad. But he came through it, and seems to have beat it. He is still a little hoarse, and has to be careful what he drinks and eats, but otherwise is fine. Good luck and wish you the best going forward.

hillegom
01-12-2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks Walter
Everything is ok now.
The main thing is, one person cannot just maintain a tank. At the very least someone else has to be trained to do a minimum of chores to keep up the water quality. (in my case). Because I just was not interested and did not care.
The other person does not really have to do anything routinely just have knowledge to do things if anything happens.
As in the case of others, you do not know when suddenly something happens and we are temporarily incapacitated.

Reef Pilot
01-12-2016, 04:40 PM
Thanks Walter
Everything is ok now.
The main thing is, one person cannot just maintain a tank. At the very least someone else has to be trained to do a minimum of chores to keep up the water quality. (in my case). Because I just was not interested and did not care.
The other person does not really have to do anything routinely just have knowledge to do things if anything happens.
As in the case of others, you do not know when suddenly something happens and we are temporarily incapacitated.
Yup, so true. But if that happened to me, would likely shut down my tank, and turn my attention to other life priorities and family.

crimper
01-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Hey Dearth, first of you'll be fine so don't be discouraged.

Yours is a minor heart attack... I had a Cardiac Arrest 2 years ago, got stented and was lucky to survive. Then after a year I went on another procedure which they had implanted an ICD on me. On the first year I was totally depressed as I was only a shadow of a man I used to be. The biggest frustration of course is how am I gonna take care of my tanks? No more scuba diving for me... etc.

That time that I got ill, I got so many tanks running. I have been breeding discus and for people who are aware how tedious it is to keep discus is... tell me about "Daily Water Change."

But my life didn't stop there, I didn't let infirmity stop me from doing things that I love. I was lucky my wife supported me and managed to take care of everything when I was in the hospital with the help of my father in law until I had decided to let go of everything except for my 57G reef. This tank served as a therapy for me while I was recovering. In fact my Reef addiction got worsen. :lol:

All I can say is, it depends on the people that surrounds you. I always thank my wife for understanding and supporting me with all I've gone through. My father in law and my son who lift things for me when I need to as I was refrained from lifting things.

Life and reefing must go on for me... as a matter of fact I am working on my ultimate goal... "To go back home and scuba dive on one of the nicest reef in my country." I'm hoping I will be allowed to dive for less than 50 ft.

By the way I'm back working full time for almost a year now.

Stay positive!:thumb:

Borderjumper
01-13-2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks Walter
Everything is ok now.
I so agree!

Last fall i injured my right foot and just got that pretty much healed then I tore my right rotator cuff. Water changes basically stopped and the tanks were looking pretty ghetto. My husband took an interest in the living room tank and pretty much took over its care :) he does all the water hauling and does the water changes now in that tank so that his tusk fish doesn't croak. The other two little tanks are pretty much ricordea, nems and zoas which don't really mind my lack of Maintanance .

BMW Rider
01-14-2016, 04:15 AM
I went through a period of being incapacitated due to injuries a few years back. I did still manage to look after the basics on my tank, but my wife did assist with the heavy lifting until I was finally able to resume. I have made strides in automating my tank and minimizing the amount of regular work it demands. Still, I am considering that reality that I will soon need to decide whether I continue in the hobby , or if I need to find someone to do routine upkeep. This will be not so much from an ability standpoint as it will be from a lifestyle change. I'm nearing retirement and hope to be spending more time traveling which will mean I won't be home to look after the tank.

Reef Pilot
01-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Well, not permanent (or at least I hope not), but I did have rotator cuff surgery 5 months ago. That basically made me a one armed bandit for a couple months. Slowly starting to use my arm again (right arm), but still lots I can't do. I can't raise it yet or reach out very far (as when trying to reach into my tank). So it has definitely stopped me from doing some things that I had planned.

I want to redo my upstairs tank. That means removing/moving rocks and coral, but have been holding off until I have more use of both arms. Almost there now, though, so might attempt it in the not too distant future.

Having said all that, can't compare my condition to that of a heart attack or many other more severe and possibly long term condition. I still feel very fortunate for the good health I am enjoying.

Saw my surgeon today,... and bad news. My first surgery didn't work, and will now need shoulder replacement surgery (reverse metal ball and socket). Scheduled for Mar 14, so will be another 6 months after that before I can do stuff again.

So, crap,... do I try to redo my tank before that, or wait until after next summer? I do have some use of my right arm again, and think I could do it. My tank really needs to get redone (I said that last winter), as the mushrooms are really taking over... But if I have any trouble or difficulties with the tank following the surgery, won't be able to fix anything. My wife is OK with feeding the fish and minor maintenance. And will be able to change water after a couple months with her help. But not anything else.

So I have some decisions to make...

input80
01-15-2016, 07:00 AM
Saw my surgeon today,... and bad news. My first surgery didn't work, and will now need shoulder replacement surgery (reverse metal ball and socket). Scheduled for Mar 14, so will be another 6 months after that before I can do stuff again.

So, crap,... do I try to redo my tank before that, or wait until after next summer? I do have some use of my right arm again, and think I could do it. My tank really needs to get redone (I said that last winter), as the mushrooms are really taking over... But if I have any trouble or difficulties with the tank following the surgery, won't be able to fix anything. My wife is OK with feeding the fish and minor maintenance. And will be able to change water after a couple months with her help. But not anything else.

So I have some decisions to make...

Let me know if I can help out on weekends Walter.

hillegom
01-15-2016, 07:16 AM
Plus 2
Walter, if you need help, let me know.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Plus 3.

Was going to post earlier but it may be a good thing I waited till others chimed in.

Walter, if you get all the stuff organized on your end, let us know what days/times will work and maybe we have a "work party" at your place one weekend soon to get your tank moved or redone or whatever. You supply the plan & we'll supply the muscle:wink:

I think its a good idea to get it all done ahead of time, before your second surgery.

My good friends TomR & Chin Lee both told me to prepare my tanks ahead of time to be neglected for 6 to 9 months after my first daughter was born. I did that and boy was I glad I listened to their advice because the tanks were neglected for 9 months post-birth. If we can come over and give you a hand to get everything set up the way you want before your surgery, you'll have one less thing to worry about (less stress = heal better). Your tank(s) are supposed to help you relax and relieve stress, not generate unnecessary stress every time you look at it and think "I need to change this or move that." Let us help you out so you can enjoy your tank post-surgery, not stress out over it.

If there's issues afterwards, post on here and some of us can come out again to fix them.

Cheers & good luck,

Anthony

Reef Pilot
01-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Thanks everyone, for the kind words and offer to help. It is very much appreciated. You guys are all a great bunch, for sure. But I want to keep things in perspective. I consider my shoulder issue more of an inconvenience than anything else. I have already gone skiing once this year, and plan to do as much I can (depends on snow conditions, I'm a powder hound) before the next surgery. So no one should have any sympathy for me.

But I do have some decisions to make. I think I will be quite able to redo the tank before the surgery. But as you guys also know, that is not the end of it. My concern is if things go bad in the tank afterwards (corals not doing well, etc), I will not be in a good position to fix it.

And I know I have many offers to help, which I will not hesitate to call on if I need it. But would like to make the right decision too, for what is best for my tank and livestock as well.

My choices are a 1) major redo, 2) minor moving around of rocks and trying to beat back as many mushrooms as possible, or 3) nothing and wait until my shoulder recovers again. At the moment I am leaning on #2, just doing enough to help the tank (and my SPS) survive until I am good again.

input80
01-15-2016, 08:08 PM
I'm not too far that I can't help you out with your rock work etc Walter.

Reef Pilot
01-15-2016, 09:51 PM
I'm not too far that I can't help you out with your rock work etc Walter.
Thanks, Ian and will keep that in mind. But am good for now. Just need to decide what I should do in the near term.

hillegom
01-15-2016, 10:58 PM
Don't like 3 either
I like Anthony's way of thinking

Reef Pilot
01-15-2016, 11:02 PM
Don't like 3 either
I like Anthony's way of thinking
Haha, you guys just want another party!...

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-15-2016, 11:47 PM
Haha, you guys just want another party!...

Oh oh, he's on to us. Drat!!!:wink:

Ok, new plan. Flash party at Walter's end of the month. Be there or be square (Does this show my age???)

Just kidding. Walt, if you need help, just ask. We're good either way but we'd be better with another party, I mean get together, I mean tank redo session. Oh never mind, you know what I mean.

Dearth
01-16-2016, 04:11 AM
Because it needed it I Did a 40 gallon water change yesterday normally takes me about 20 minutes but it took well over an hour and it completely wrecked me apparently I wasn't as well as I thought I was and spent a good portion of today laid up and in pain.

Gong to do another next week decided to get smart and 2 friends will come over and help do another with me directing still amazes me at how much heart attacks can affect a person.

Fin2you
01-16-2016, 11:50 AM
It truly is amazing how much we take our body for granted! Take the help offered & allow yourself to heal!

Reef Pilot
01-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Because it needed it I Did a 40 gallon water change yesterday normally takes me about 20 minutes but it took well over an hour and it completely wrecked me apparently I wasn't as well as I thought I was and spent a good portion of today laid up and in pain.

Gong to do another next week decided to get smart and 2 friends will come over and help do another with me directing still amazes me at how much heart attacks can affect a person.
Yup, sounds like you need to take it easy. I am sure your friends would be more than happy to come over and give you a hand.

I wish you the very best and a full recovery. Like others have said, stay positive.

hillegom
01-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Yup, sounds like you need to take it easy. I am sure your friends would be more than happy to come over and give you a hand.

I wish you the very best and a full recovery. Like others have said, stay positive.

+1 Mark