PDA

View Full Version : How's the hobby in the Ottawa area?

Nuggs
01-11-2016, 01:25 AM
Moving to Ottawa in the summer.

Wondering in there are any reef societies? And what's it got for shops?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nuggs
01-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Bump

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

rockworm
01-21-2016, 11:34 PM
There use to be an active society, but it seems pretty quiet now. I was out of the marine hobby for a couple years, so it may be active, but I am out of the loop.

There are 2 main shops. One is Marinescape, the second is Aqua Valley. There is also a couple Big Al's chain stores that carry some marine goods and livestock.

Ward

Tooboot
09-30-2016, 07:15 PM
I'm just getting into the hobby and was wondering the same. just about 1h away from Ottawa. there are a couple within a 2h drive (Kingston and Montreal) but that's all I know of know.

If ever you are fragging anything let me know, as I start adding coral I'll be looking around.

Nuggs
09-30-2016, 08:38 PM
I'm down in Chesterville.

Looks like there are only two shops in Ottawa proper.

Haven't got anything in yet. Still cycling started with dead rock.

Nuggs
09-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Double post

Tooboot
10-01-2016, 04:34 AM
Yep, me too. Weekly checks on nitrates and amonia, looks like I may be good in a week or two. There's a guy in Kingston with lots of stuff. The store on carling looks pretty good, and the big as east was revamping their marine setup last I was there with a whole new frag section and larger selection. I can't comment on the health of anything since I have out anything in myself.

looneeii
10-02-2016, 07:08 PM
There's 4-5 in the Ottawa-Gatineau area.

1. Aquavalley - East
2. Marinescape - West
3. Big Al's - East and West
4. La Niche - Gatineau
5. Ultanimal - Aylmer

Go a bit further down the 401 and you'll find Crazy 4 Corals. They also come up to Rideau Carleton Raceway on Sundays so order ahead.

As for the folks,

Good amount of reefers. Some with drama, other are A-1. Take a look on facebook for Aylmer Saltys, Ottawa/Gatineau Reefers and other local groups.

Nuggs
10-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Thanks mate.

I'll check the others out and the FB groups.

looneeii
10-02-2016, 07:53 PM
Welcome!

Darth
01-13-2017, 09:23 PM
I know this is an old thread but we do have a couple of Facebook groups in ottawa. Most are regulars. But we love new people. Hit me up if you want the group names and big shout out to GoFish hooked me up with some awesome zoas shipped right to me. Awesome guy. Glad I found this place

baker.shawn
01-25-2017, 01:35 AM
Hey guys, we have a pretty active community in Ottawa and surrounding area come join us on Facebook search theREEFERS Ottawa / Gatineau region