PDA

View Full Version : New fish

Jaws
10-24-2004, 07:43 AM
I just added a new Regal Angel to my tank and my yellow and blue hippo tang have not taken to it very well right away. Should I be concerned that they were so aggressive right away or is this normal?

Aquattro
10-24-2004, 07:47 AM
That's normal. Oh ya, you owe me 5 bucks!! :razz:

Jaws
10-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Good luck with that one. I'm changing my name after I finish this post.

Aquattro
10-24-2004, 08:27 AM
:biggrin:

Buccaneer
10-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Did you see it eating in the store or did you get it from a fellow hobbyist ?

Gools
10-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Move around some rock if you can, maybe help settle them down.

Bob I
10-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence regarding their survival. I was under the impression that the survival rate is zero, but that could be old information. :question:

Aquattro
10-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Bob, I'm sure i know of several of these fish that have been in tanks long term. I've never herad they were difficult. Then again, I've never heard they weren't.

Bob I
10-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Bob, I'm sure i know of several of these fish that have been in tanks long term. I've never herad they were difficult. Then again, I've never heard they weren't.

Not for a moment doubting your vast knowledge :mrgreen: , but I suppose that's why I was looking for evidence from people who have actually tried to keep these alive.
I have done some more research, and have found that this fish collected in the Philippines is 99.999% doomed to die within a couple of weeks. Those collected in Indonesia fare no better. There is more hope for Indian Ocean, and Red Sea specimens, but even those don't stand a good chance of LONG TERM survival.
I am expecting more from the baby (1.5") Three Spot Angel (Apolemichthys trimaculatus) I bought yesterday. At least he eats Mysis like a maniac. :biggrin:

Aquattro
10-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Not for a moment doubting your vast knowledge :mrgreen:

Not sure I'd call it vast. I do know my full name and telephone #, in case I get lost! :razz:

Seriously, I'm gonna side with you on the angel thing, just because I've never actually looked into it. I also can't think of who I thought had this fish, so it's likely I'm mistaken.

AJ_77
10-24-2004, 06:53 PM
I just added a new Regal Angel to my tank and my yellow and blue hippo tang have not taken to it very well right away. Should I be concerned that they were so aggressive right away or is this normal?
IS this one from J&L? What were they feeding it - I understand that's the tricky part? Some aggression is normal (you don't give details), and you could mix the tank up a bit, sure.

I picked up an Indian Ocean import just yesterday, and after some sparring last night, the Naso Tang is content just being obnoxious now. I hope to provide some better information soon. :biggrin:

(Bob - don't know how much better a Flagfin Angel will do, but I guess we all live on the edge from time to time, and hope for the best.
Not easy to keep. Gets about the lowest survival ranking from me, most other sources. Every now and then a specimen will come in nicely, adapt well and live for several months... the vast majority "die mysteriously". Bob Fenner
Maybe we will both buck the trend. My new fish is very calm, now picking at the rockwork he has examined so carefully.

Aquattro
10-24-2004, 07:00 PM
This from J&L's site...

"Difficult to care for. May require specialized feeding (corals, etc.), environment, or species tank. Recommended only for advanced aquarists only"

AJ_77
10-24-2004, 07:03 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/Fish.htm

Maybe I should've waited until I had my 500-gal tank...

Jaws
10-24-2004, 10:01 PM
The tank has settled down a little since I moved the rock around. The yellow tang is really the only fish that is being really aggressive with the angel, trying to spike him with her tail. I've heard they are difficult to take care of but I don't mind putting in the extra effort for how much they add to a tank. I got him from J & L and he was eating while he was there. He hasn't eaten yet but I don't expect him to yet either.

Bob I
10-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Best of luck then. You and Alan each have a Regal, and I have this little Three Spot (Flag Fin). All are notoriously difficult (if not impossible to keep)We can only do our best, and see what happens down the road. :eek:

Buccaneer
10-25-2004, 01:47 AM
The reason I asked is that I had a Regal in quarantine a while back and it lasted 3 weeks sadly. It developed a bulging eye ( one eye ) and deteriorated after that.

They are very tempting to keep because of their stunning colouration but as boB stated their collection methods may be questionable and there really is no way to know for sure unless they stay in the pet store long enough to observe their behaviour.

I think when the new tank is built I will try another but only if I can see long term success in the store prior to purchasing ( like if they would put it in a display tank for a while for example. ) ... as most stores wont do this I might have to wait till Alan's outgrows his 108 and he decides to sell it to me :razz: :mrgreen:

Good luck to both of you with your new acquisitions and keep us updated on feeding and behaviour. ( you probably already know but a good amount of food that contains sponge is necessary )

AJ_77
10-25-2004, 02:46 AM
The reason I asked is that I had a Regal in quarantine a while back and it lasted 3 weeks sadly. It developed a bulging eye ( one eye ) and deteriorated after that.

They are very tempting to keep because of their stunning colouration but as boB stated their collection methods may be questionable and there really is no way to know for sure unless they stay in the pet store long enough to observe their behaviour.

I think when the new tank is built I will try another but only if I can see long term success in the store prior to purchasing ( like if they would put it in a display tank for a while for example. ) ... as most stores wont do this I might have to wait till Alan's outgrows his 108 and he decides to sell it to me :razz: :mrgreen:

Good luck to both of you with your new acquisitions and keep us updated on feeding and behaviour. ( you probably already know but a good amount of food that contains sponge is necessary )
Steve, this one was at the store in the same tank for 2 weeks (that's how long we observed it, anyways). It had minor damage to the dorsal fin which has just about fully healed in that time. It seems to be adjusting well, better if that idiot Naso would stop shadowing it. We'll see how things pan out the next few days and weeks. Then, when it reaches 10" it's yours. :mrgreen: Maybe...

I know I'm pushing the envelope with this one (very sorry to hear about yours), but it has done well in captivity to this point, and I'm looking forward to some very rewarding husbandry with it, hopefully long-term.

Jaws
10-25-2004, 06:59 AM
Well, one day has gone by and the battering has almost come to a standstill and he was even eating some mysis shrimp tonight. Not too shabby for one day.

Buccaneer
10-25-2004, 07:10 AM
Well Alan ... If anyone can raise a difficult species my money is on you ... fatten that guy up for me so when he gets into my tank my Naso cant bug him :razz: :eek: :mrgreen:

danny zubot
10-25-2004, 02:54 PM
Post Pics, post pics!

christyf5
10-26-2004, 06:59 AM
I also can't think of who I thought had this fish, so it's likely I'm mistaken.

I thought Shao had a regal angel at one time :question: Maybe you were thinking of him. It used to be his avatar.

Christy :)

smokinreefer
10-26-2004, 07:24 AM
nope. not me. i just have my multibar!

:mrgreen:

christyf5
10-26-2004, 07:36 AM
Oops, my bad :redface: