PDA

View Full Version : who needs a Ranco (temperature controller) ?

kien
01-06-2016, 05:51 PM
I'm semi-organizing a group-buy for Ranco temperature controllers. Some people expressed interested in acquiring one last month.

First off, we won't get any sort of discounts, it'll end up costing whatever they retail for, but we may save on shipping if we get them all in on one order. They will come in through one of our local fish stores as they will be ordering them for us. Contact me via PM for further details.

mrhasan
01-06-2016, 08:16 PM
In. And PMed :)

Delphinus
01-06-2016, 09:47 PM
I could have sworn I typed in a reply to that thread last month saying you can buy these from etcsupply.com (which I've done on occasion). But I can't find that post now, so maybe it was one of those "I typed it in but then never pressed save or maybe my phone battery died" type things. Anyhow, argh! I feel like I've withheld good info from you guys now. :redface: Anyhow the key with etcsupply.com is putting in your postal code for shipping estimate, otherwise it is something like if you leave it as Canada it will estimate a prohibitive looking shipping estimate and you think "ooh! no way! too much, I'll buy from somewhere else", but it actually doesn't come out in the end as being that high if you just select the lowest cost option in the end.

Anyhow a group order to defray shipping costs is certainly the way to do this and if a store is willing to do it then all the better, I suppose. Guess you don't need this info now. (Poop.)

Although one thing that etcsupply.com can do for you is preinstall a thermal well (basically clear shrink wrap) that will waterproof the probe (they are not really rated to be submerged). You just specify the length. Or you can order it separate (or just DIY something, I guess).

mrhasan
01-06-2016, 09:59 PM
I could have sworn I typed in a reply to that thread last month saying you can buy these from etcsupply.com (which I've done on occasion). But I can't find that post now, so maybe it was one of those "I typed it in but then never pressed save or maybe my phone battery died" type things. Anyhow, argh! I feel like I've withheld good info from you guys now. :redface: Anyhow the key with etcsupply.com is putting in your postal code for shipping estimate, otherwise it is something like if you leave it as Canada it will estimate a prohibitive looking shipping estimate and you think "ooh! no way! too much, I'll buy from somewhere else", but it actually doesn't come out in the end as being that high if you just select the lowest cost option in the end.

Anyhow a group order to defray shipping costs is certainly the way to do this and if a store is willing to do it then all the better, I suppose. Guess you don't need this info now. (Poop.)

Although one thing that etcsupply.com can do for you is preinstall a thermal well (basically clear shrink wrap) that will waterproof the probe (they are not really rated to be submerged). You just specify the length. Or you can order it separate (or just DIY something, I guess).

I saw your post Tony so you did post it (in Kien's tank thread) :mrgreen:

The local store will be sourcing it from Zoro which appears to have cheaper listed price than etc (in Canadian $). ETC lists everything in USD and with the killer conversion rate right now, its CAD or no-buy :razz: The same controller in ETC is listed at USD64.99 while Zoro lists it at CAD61.40. Shipping will probably be the same for both (since Zoro also ships from USA) . Hopefully the group buy will save on the shipping. :smile:

Delphinus
01-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Wow, no kidding, $60ish Cdn sounds almost too good to be true! Is that the wholesale price? I looked at zoro.com (is that the right place?), I didn't see any temperature controllers for that price.

At any rate I guess I'm derailing the thread (sorry). I'm set for the time being. I could have used the group buy a couple months ago though!!

One last parting thought: You may want to consider a 2-stage, with those you can additionally run a fan or cooler if temp goes high, which can be useful in the summer and so on..

mrhasan
01-07-2016, 12:04 AM
Wow, no kidding, $60ish Cdn sounds almost too good to be true! Is that the wholesale price? I looked at zoro.com (is that the right place?), I didn't see any temperature controllers for that price.

At any rate I guess I'm derailing the thread (sorry). I'm set for the time being. I could have used the group buy a couple months ago though!!

One last parting thought: You may want to consider a 2-stage, with those you can additionally run a fan or cooler if temp goes high, which can be useful in the summer and so on..

PMed you the link :smile:

I have thought about 2 stage but for my house, I don't think I will be needing it since during summer, I keep the windows open to let in fresh air. My last tank survived the worst 42°C ambient back in 2013 :mrgreen: And 2 stage is too expensive :redface:

riceboy
01-07-2016, 05:45 AM
I would be in. Can someone post a link up.

kien
01-07-2016, 03:10 PM
I would be in. Can someone post a link up.

There is no official link :-) Dave is going to call for prices today and get back to us on what the cost will be for us.

Please let me or Dave know which controller you'd like.

xenon
01-20-2016, 10:14 PM
I use two 1,000w heaters on our 600G LPS system in the winter time. They are JBJ true temp heaters.

One of the heater controllers died yesterday.

I am going to replace all my temp controllers. I don't trust the JBJ's anymore.

Where can I get these? What model# is it specifically?

Delphinus
01-20-2016, 10:33 PM
For single stage (ie. just heater or just chiller) with 110V input I think you want "ETC-111000". For dual stage, "ETC-211000".

mrhasan
02-04-2016, 01:46 AM
Ranco is now available. Got mine today.