PDA

View Full Version : Starting to reasearch/setup questions

Moosea
01-05-2016, 11:48 PM
I bought a fluval sea 24g all in one system used with all equipement. I have been reading and reading to learn about reef systems. I have kept planted aquariums for years. I have a few questions.....
1-the 24in led light will it grow softies and seaweed? Fluval redsea.
2-How many water changes are needed? On my fresh water i do one once a month. In the beginning i did many until i realized it was not needed. Is this true for reefs?
3-what do you do for holidays?
4-using used live rock speed up the cyclinging? Can i put in zoas, i was told yes but i think a 30day cycle better for me..
5-I live in the interior of bc and it gets really hot in the summer will all my softies die? My fresh water sometimes at 31c.
Thanks for all the help in advance.

CM125
01-06-2016, 01:57 AM
1. Greatly depends on the bulbs, but softies should be easy.

2. The general rule is 10% a weew, but also depends on your tank load

3. I like Mexico myself, but everyone is different

4. There is no set date for cycling, keep doing your tests until you know its safe.

5. You may need a chiller, hopefully someone in your area can chime in.

3. Sorry i couldnt resist, I have an auto top off and an auto feeder, usually can handle the tank for a couple days, I have someone stop by sometimes too. you can also get a webcam or something too.

Reefer Rob
01-06-2016, 04:56 PM
1- So many variables with LEDs. You have to look at the manufacturer's recommendation, and the experiences of people with the same light. You want to grow "seaweed"? Most of my efforts are spent trying to keep algae out of the display.

2- I do 10% weekly to keep the elements balanced in the water. You should do more or less depending on the health of the tanks inhabitants. Observation is the key.

3- Automate everything you can. A simple softy tank should only require an auto feeder.

4- Tank startup is the most important step in a marine aquarium. What you do here will determine whether you will still be doing this in two years. Since you've been researching you've probably heard this a few times already, but I'll say it again just in case: patience = success!

I would use all live rock, and choose wisely, it is the core of your system. With poor quality live rock, nutrient control will always be a battle, and this hobby won't be fun at all.

Putting anything in a brand new system in 30 days is likely going to go work against the patience = success thing. This is what I would do, but you probably won't because you haven't yet had to deal with some of the nasty algaes that can come on live rock. I would aqua-scape the tank and get it running with your well chosen live rock, and leave the lights off for 6 weeks. You'll also want to keep as much ambient light out as possible. There will be enough die off in the rock to fuel the cycle, and in this time most of the algaes will die off. Now you're ready to turn on the lights and add a fish. Zoanthids can be added when your tests for nitrates and phosphates read an acceptable level to support their survival.

5- With LEDs, if you need more than a fan blowing across the surface of the water to cool it you should look at the pumps etc to find where all the excess heat is coming from.

msjboy
01-06-2016, 08:35 PM
try toad stool for starting... i have a 10 gallon tank with some liverock and have never put in new seawater (just rplenish evaporated water ) nor food. almost no flow too and just a bit of ecoxotic led lights.. it lives but no growth. over 3.5 years now.

Animal-Chin
01-06-2016, 09:14 PM
msjboy, you haven't done a water change in 3.5 years?

For the Fluval Sea 24 I'd guess the lights are totally fine for soft coral, that line of products by Fluval should support easy coral.

weekly waterchanges of 10% minimum but I'd recommend one 5 gallon jug a week though for your tank. Buy a blue 5 gallon water cooler jug from the grocery store. Use this to mix 5 gallons a week. When you have your first empty salt bucket, it holds about 5 gallons too so you can use that to remove the old. Great system and will only take you 10 minutes a week.

If you are leaving the house for more than a few days you're going to have to worry about evaporation. Your tank will loose a lot of water because it's about 26 degrees all the time. Keep fresh water on hand to top off. If you get tired of dealing with top offs you can get an auto top off for about $100 that will keep your tank topped off all the time. Most of us have one because we get tired of evaporation lol. Its a great investment. Lights can be on a timer. Most pet stores will sell light timers for about $14. Get one! And then a auto feeder. Most salt fish will eat flake or pellets while you're away. Some only eat frozen (like anthias) so this can be an issue.

If you don't want to automate, I hope you have a friend near by to come by every couple of days.

31 degrees will kill coral. I run fans in the summer but in Vancouver we don't have to worry much. If you can do a chiller then for sure. If not, a fan running over the surface usually knocks the tank down a degree or so.

Really at this point its about your budget. If you have a lot of funds available, you can have that tank so you don't have to touch it. If you don't want to drop an additional $1000 into your tank right now to not have to worry about all that stuff above then you just need a good maintenance plan.

An auto top off is my first recommendation, especially if your tank is open top.