PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help with my tank Stock list

Fin2you
01-04-2016, 03:02 AM
I am slowly building this tank, both rock, corals & fish stocking. I know I can't have all the fish I want, not everything will work in my 40 gal but I'd love to hear your oppinions on the fish myself & my family have on our "wish list", This list has to be trimmed down & has to work with anything marked as " * " as I have already!
* Rose Bubble Tip Anemone
* Red Feather Duster
* Misc coral frags & intend to build a full coral reef!
* ? # Asterina (micro Brittle) starfish
* 2 Bumble bee snails
* Scarlet reef hermit crab
* Yellow Watchman Goby
* 2 Ocellaris Clownfish (black & standard)
Here are the other options
Lawnmower Blenny
Falco hawkfish
Blue Sapphire Damsel
Bangui Cardinal
6line Wrasse
Royal Grammar Basslet
Candy Basslet
Mandarin dragonet (only if it's a home bred raised on frozen cube food & pellets. which is pretty highly unlikely to ever find)

Scythanith
01-04-2016, 06:00 AM
My personal experience suggests the Lawnmower blenny, sixline wrasse, royal gramma and blue damsel may become territorial and bully other fish. The Bangaii cardinals, candy basslet, and mandarin are push overs and can be timid if they have aggressive tankmates. I say you ditch everything else and just get a candy basslet... and a good lid cause you don't want to find that fish on the ground!

I think any of the fish you listed would definitely go in your current setup, I just don't know if it would be peaceful.

My 2 cents.

soapy
01-04-2016, 06:08 AM
Take a pass on the Mandarin as you suggest and also probably the lawnmower blenny. Apparently LMB's need a lot of algae or Nori and Nori will pollute your tank in a hurry. Some people have luck with them and lots starve them from what I've read. I would love to hear more about LMBs though.

Skimmer Juice
01-04-2016, 06:47 AM
personally would recommend a Halloween hermit or two great for algae clean up , Helfrichi Firefish are beautiful and peaceful , blue stripe pipefish are also super cool , yasha goby .

F.H
01-04-2016, 07:23 AM
Would pass on the six line, they can get rather aggressive, unless it's the last fish you add.

Bumble bee snails can be carnivorous, so I would advise against them, look into ceriths and trochus snails, the latter having the ability to right themselves should they fall on their side.

You might also be able to add an anthias of sorts, possibly a borbonius or fathead anthias, etc.

whatcaneyedo
01-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Six lines can be too damn aggressive. I'll never buy one again. Tail Spot Blennys are a lot more colourful than Lawnmowers and can be kept in pairs.

TheMikey
01-04-2016, 09:35 PM
No need for bumblebee snails. They don't add a lot of diversity and there are anecdotal accounts that they are not reef safe. Stick with Turbos, astrea snails, cerith snails, and other common cleanup snails.

As for hermits, my advice is to stick ONLY to blue-legged/blue dwarf hermits. They tend to be the least aggressive and least opportunistic as they are the smallest available.

shiftline
01-04-2016, 11:21 PM
I find my blue legged to be more punks. My orange and red legged have been very peaceful

Fin2you
01-05-2016, 03:02 AM
I want a "peaceful" tank I know that 100%!
I have lots of research to do about the fish suggested as alternatives & I also very much want to build up my corals. Being on a budget means it's 1 or the other not both each month.
the bumble bees were a "must have" request for my daughters. but I am getting tired of having to turn the darn things over as every couple of days they are on their backs.
The scarlet hermit came from another forum member who was shutting down one of his tanks & offered me a great deal. we saw him for the 1st time today since putting him in the tank. So glad to catch sight of him & know he was still alive!
so now I'm down to thinking about adding:
Halloween hermit (love natural algae control)
trochus snails
Royal Grammar Basslet or Candy Basslet
Helfrichi Firefish
Blue Sapphire Damsel (these ones are listed as the most peaceful of the damsel so if I put them in last?)

Scythanith
01-05-2016, 03:18 AM
Now I don't know what your budget is but a Candy basslet costs around $600-700 bucks. The Helfrichi will be $150-200... give or take. I'm not saying don't get them, just be prepared when you're budgeting :)

Fin2you
01-05-2016, 03:44 AM
Those will be 'only if I can get a great deal' fishies!!!!