1xHydor 1200 gph powerhead
Red dragon 1200 for my return pump
Teck 8x54watt fixture
18 watt UV sterilizer
40 gallon sump
2x300 watt heaters
Apex controller
Tunze AT 5000 chiller

I'm wondering what kind of skimmer i should get just getting back into this had my tank for about 5 months after a 9 year brake from the hobby so all the equipment has changed, have done some research on it but would rather hear from some people was thinking vertex,reef octopus or bubble magnus but up to any suggestion really. I want to be able to feed alot fish and corals, it will be mainly sps with some lps aswell .Also gonna run a Algea Turf scrubber instead of a regufium i think. Is my equipment gonna be enough for a 48x24x24 tank. Also any suggestions on a doser was thinking a jebeo D4 cause the price but would like to hear some input on that aswell.

Thanks alot

albert_dao
01-01-2016, 09:47 PM
I have a sexy Omega 180i which would be perfect for this setup.

albert_dao
01-01-2016, 09:50 PM
Oh yah, and dump the sterlizer. It's a waste of your time to plumb and run it. Rest of it looks good.

moosehead
01-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Hey thanks alot for the advice on the 180 your works great ? you don't like sterilizers? I really haven't haven't done the research if they are worth it I just bought it for $20 so figured why not

Myka
01-01-2016, 10:25 PM
It looks like you're not sparing any expense, so maybe you'd buy a Bubble King? I'd go for a BK Double Cone 180 for that tank size or an ATB 840 (might be troublesome to get). Those are in the $1200 range. If that's too steep, I'd vote Bubble Magus Curve 9 for less than half price of the other two. The BM is very reliable IME (lots of my clients have them), but just not the same grade as a BK or ATB.

moosehead
01-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Read alot of reviews with alot of good things to say about them,you think the curve 9over the 7 for my size?

moosehead
01-01-2016, 10:46 PM
Just looked at the price for the Bubble magnus from J&L there really affordable,$424 for the curve 9,$599 for the omega 180,Anyone know anything about this Reef Octopus Classic (202-S)$445. To many skimmer options

Myka
01-01-2016, 10:50 PM
Read alot of reviews with alot of good things to say about them,you think the curve 9over the 7 for my size?

I would yes. The Bubble Magus is just not the same league as a BK or an ATB, but if you bumped it up to a Curve 9 you could make up for it a sniff. It's only $100 difference. The neck size is the same on the Curve 7 and Curve 9, so there is no difference in the ability to produce a foam head. Fwiw, I think the manufacturer ratings for the Curve skimmers are outrageously optimistic.

moosehead
01-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Oh ok good to know, are they quite that is one factor i need to really consider my wife has a hard time sleeping if she can hear overflows or skimmer. The current skimmer I have needs to be shut off at night due to the noise. She can hear everything..me I can sleep through anything.

e46er
01-01-2016, 11:49 PM
I'm upgrading from a 75 to a 120 this year so far i got
3x6055 tunze powerheads
1xHydor 1200 gph powerhead
Red dragon 1200 for my return pump
Teck 8x54watt fixture
18 watt UV sterilizer
40 gallon sump
2x300 watt heaters
Apex controller
Tunze AT 5000 chiller

I'm wondering what kind of skimmer i should get just getting back into this had my tank for about 5 months after a 9 year brake from the hobby so all the equipment has changed, have done some research on it but would rather hear from some people was thinking vertex,reef octopus or bubble magnus but up to any suggestion really. I want to be able to feed alot fish and corals, it will be mainly sps with some lps aswell .Also gonna run a Algea Turf scrubber instead of a regufium i think. Is my equipment gonna be enough for a 48x24x24 tank. Also any suggestions on a doser was thinking a jebeo D4 cause the price but would like to hear some input on that aswell.

Thanks alot

i use these for cal and alk and the 50 ml/min one for top off controlled by an apex they work really good http://www.jlaquatics.com/shlobster-dosing-pump-1-1ml-min.html

i used an aqua medic doser for years it worked great but then broke and the $10 part i couldnt source except from Europe and it was like 30 pounds plus shipping so i wasnt going to drop $100 plus on it since it was old.
I then went cheap and bought a marine magic doser- complete junk had it for a few months and then went to the link above. havent had them too long but they work great and for whatever reason I trust the apex timer a lot more of the marine magic one and jabeo Id put in the same category. for something that could nuke your tank I felt the extra cost was worth it.

moosehead
01-02-2016, 04:03 AM
i use these for cal and alk and the 50 ml/min one for top off controlled by an apex they work really good http://www.jlaquatics.com/shlobster-dosing-pump-1-1ml-min.html

That doesn't look to bad hey.

rishu_pepper
01-02-2016, 04:43 AM
Oh ok good to know, are they quite that is one factor i need to really consider my wife has a hard time sleeping if she can hear overflows or skimmer. The current skimmer I have needs to be shut off at night due to the noise. She can hear everything..me I can sleep through anything.

Having used a Curve 9 for almost a year, I would say your wife will definitely hear the skimmer. It does the job but I wouldn't buy it again. Switched to a CSC and couldn't be happier, and Albert's Omega is a much better option than the Curve (used an Omega 150 last year on a different tank).

Myka
01-02-2016, 01:48 PM

Not really quiet, but not terrible either. I can hear a Gyre or Vortech from the bedroom, but with a closed stand I don't hear a noisy skimmer or return pump. I sleep with a 14" fan on most of the time or I hear the Gyre. Maybe get a floor fan for the wife?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

moosehead
01-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Not really quiet, but not terrible either. I can hear a Gyre or Vortech from the bedroom, but with a closed stand I don't hear a noisy skimmer or return pump. I sleep with a 14" fan on most of the time or I hear the Gyre. Maybe get a floor fan for the wife?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

yah create some white noise for her.good idea

e46er
01-02-2016, 04:43 PM
That doesn't look to bad hey.

I like them. Lots of people on RC seem to use the BRS version look the same just black- but they were the same price plus shipping and with the way the USD is I couldn't justify $150 each. Only downside is they use 1 outlet each on your EB8 but for me I was ok with that

moosehead
01-02-2016, 04:56 PM
I like them. Lots of people on RC seem to use the BRS version look the same just black- but they were the same price plus shipping and with the way the USD is I couldn't justify $150 each. Only downside is they use 1 outlet each on your EB8 but for me I was ok with that

Yah the money you save you could buy another EB8 :biggrin: