PDA

View Full Version : LPS polyps falling off

strezman
12-31-2015, 06:18 PM
Hello all, looking to get some opinions on why my acan is dropping polyps. My params are all in check, Cal and Alk all good. I'm wondering if it's because my lights are weak? Acan is at the bottom of my tank and is the only coral seeming to suffer. You think it's the lights? Thanks in advance!

whatcaneyedo
12-31-2015, 06:35 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words. Have you tried moving it to a location with better exposure? It could be 'polyp bailout' which is a reaction to high stress and unfavourable conditions. Or it could be budding which is a reproductive tactic of a healthy coral. Again, a picture is worth a thousand words. I've commonly read about bailout happening with the Elegance Coral. If your water parameters, Ca and Alk are within range are they also stable? Constant fluctuations cause my coral growth to suffer when I'm not being diligent enough. Also, what about phosphate? Phosphate inhibits calcification. Magnesium is also important for stabilizing the balance between Ca and Alk. Are they getting fed from time to time? All LPS benefit from the occasional meaty bits landing on them. How about other fish or inverts picking on them? It took me months to catch my diadema urchin in the act snacking on mine... Do they have a nice protected location within the tank? Or are they constantly getting knocked around or buried with sand?

strezman
12-31-2015, 07:09 PM
I'll try to snap a pic tonight. I haven't moved it because my tank is quite crowded. It's been happy in the same spot for nearly a year. My params stay stable. Mag is good. There is a slight trace of phosphates but very minor. It gets fed occasionally. Nothing bothers it. It's been dulling out in colour and now dropping polyps. Something isn't right and mediocre LED's are about 3 years old now.

MitchM
01-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Like whatcaneyedo said, polyp bailout can be a stress/reproductive response to poor water conditions.
I would double check what your water conditions are.

Reyphox
01-02-2016, 12:32 AM
How long have you had this acan and did it have any growth since you took ownership?