PDA

View Full Version : Utterly frustrated with Tunze streams..

Delphinus
12-30-2015, 06:49 PM
Vent/Rant mode on!

I think I'm just about done with Tunze streams. I seem to get about a year out of them before either the power supply or the motor block needs replacing.

Really tempted to look at Jebao as a replacement. Are people using these on their Apex? I'd like to look at something that I can just swap out without needing to reprogram the flow settings or use a different controller.

Any other alternatives? If it wasn't for that I don't want a motor block mounted on a viewing panel of the tank, I would have considered Vortech. But it's not really an option for me because of the viewing obstruction. :(

Also, is anyone still using a Tunze Wavebox these days? The one I have is on its 3rd or 4th dead motor block now. The cost to replace that is astronomical (almost $500 at J&L), so, it's either going to the trash bin, or I find some other way of getting it going .. has anyone tried retrofitting a different powerhead in there?

Aquattro
12-30-2015, 06:54 PM
Jebao are great, work fine on existing Tunze profiles, are similar size and similar flow. The original Tunze lasted a long time, but the newer ones seem to not be as sturdy. I still have a pair of 6055 running, but when they die, I'll replace with Jebao. I currently run a pair off a cable that was custom made, but you can buy an adapter to run off Apex.

Delphinus
12-30-2015, 06:57 PM
Perfect, that totally affirms what I'm wanting to do then. I might even be able to make my own cable depending on what it will look like.

What model(s) are you using? I've got 2 dead 6105's I'd like to replace. (And a stupid wavebox too, which I suppose I should take out of the tank at this point because it's just a stupid box taking up space. Do you still run a wavebox? At this point, I'm thinking it's just not worth trying to make that thing go again.)

Aquattro
12-30-2015, 06:59 PM
I can create enough wave with pumps, don't need a box. You probably want a pair of RW20 to replace what you have.

Check RC for cable stuff, or I can PM you the name of the guy that made mine.

Zoaelite
12-30-2015, 08:02 PM
I can create enough wave with pumps, don't need a box. You probably want a pair of RW20 to replace what you have.

Check RC for cable stuff, or I can PM you the name of the guy that made mine.

+1 on the two RW20's.

I know I was on the high quality Ecotech bandwagon for a while but buying one of these has changed my mind. Amazing flow, has worked since day one and it was 1/4th the price...

soapy
12-30-2015, 08:46 PM
As a side note I have had stupid good luck with vortech MP 40s. I installed them Nov 2009 and they are still chugging away as well as ever. Ive heard tell the wet sides have a habit of only lasting a year. Mine are set at about 40-50 percent speed. Now that I have praised them they will no doubt blow up tomorrow.

Those Jabao's sound good I may have to pick one up.

kien
12-30-2015, 11:02 PM
+1 for the Jebaos and -100 for the Tunzes!

Earlier this year I finally got sick of Tunzes crapping out too. Those suckers are expensive to repair/replace. For that cost I was able to get a pair of new Jebaos which worked great. If the Jebaos crap out in a year I'd still be ahead of the money game with a new pair.

I don't have any experience using third party controllers with them though, but never felt the need to try to control them with my Profilux as their controller worked great in wireless Master-Slave control mode. I have two at the overflow end of my tank that pulse and creates a nice 1.5" wave. If I had a lower waterline I would let them create a bigger wave but my water line is pretty low so the bigger wave ends up splashing against my euro-brace :lol: They do create an amazing wave though. I started with the R-8s but decided to upgrade to the 15s just to get a little more flow.

Reefer Rob
12-31-2015, 01:12 AM
The RW15s sound like they're playing a bad song running with jebao controlers. Controlling with my profilux now, but they keep stopping for no reason. If I unplug the network cable from the adapter and plug it back in they start up again. It's difficult to troubleshoot. Lots of flow through.

jorjef
12-31-2015, 01:37 AM
I have had The WP-25 and now a pair or RW-8 and never an issue with either

Aquattro
12-31-2015, 01:42 AM
The RW15s sound like they're playing a bad song running with jebao controlers. Controlling with my profilux now, but they keep stopping for no reason. If I unplug the network cable from the adapter and plug it back in they start up again. It's difficult to troubleshoot. Lots of flow through.

I never used mine with the controllers, but ramping from 40 to 85% now via Apex, dead silent.

Myka
12-31-2015, 01:57 AM
Don't forget to order a 3rd Jebao so you can replace a dead Jebao around the 1 year mark. But they are cheap, so replacing once a year is no biggie! ;)

Aquattro
12-31-2015, 02:18 AM
Don't forget to order a 3rd Jebao so you can replace a dead Jebao around the 1 year mark. But they are cheap, so replacing once a year is no biggie! ;)

Exactly. I have a spare. But good PSA.

smokinreefer
12-31-2015, 02:27 AM
Hey guys, I have an old tunze I am not using because the mount broke. When I find it, I'll post it up and see if is something you guys can use.

smokinreefer
12-31-2015, 02:54 AM
Found my old thread. It's a 6080

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109122&highlight=Tunze

Reefer Rob
12-31-2015, 03:00 AM
I never used mine with the controllers, but ramping from 40 to 85% now via Apex, dead silent.

I have one noisy on and one quiet one, so I've set one to 80% and one to 100% with the Profilux.

Does Apex do 0-5v or 0-10v? I tried setting the Profilux output to 0-5v as suggested, and they only ramped up about 1/2 way... but very quiet.

Got home today and both the pumps had stopped again. Grrrrr

Aquattro
12-31-2015, 03:22 AM
Does Apex do 0-5v or 0-10v? I tried setting the Profilux output to 0-5v as suggested, and they only ramped up about 1/2 way... but very quiet.

Sorry, honestly don't know. 0-10 sounds right, but I often make stuff up in my head :)

Reefer Rob
12-31-2015, 03:32 AM
Just measured the output from the Jebao controller, it's 5v max.

Now the weird part. With the Profilux set to 0-10v I get 4.89v at the control circuit out to the pump. There must be a resistor in the adapter for the Profilux circuit.

Temped to just hook them up to an old wave maker power bar.

christyf5
12-31-2015, 03:39 AM
Weird. I have all my original tunzes still working. I've only had one motor block and one driver box die out of the lot and they were a questionable setup when I bought them (modified or something). My wavebox is going on 8 years old.

Course now that I've said that they'll all die slowly over the next few months...

Reefer Rob
12-31-2015, 03:50 AM
BTW, when you order RW-20s to replace your Tunzes you can order one of these (http://www.fish-street.com/apex__ghl_to_jebao_rw_dc_wp_pump) to control them with an Apex.

e46er
12-31-2015, 04:12 AM
BTW, when you order RW-20s to replace your Tunzes you can order one of these (http://www.fish-street.com/apex__ghl_to_jebao_rw_dc_wp_pump) to control them with an Apex.

I just ordered 2 of these from reef supplies for same price.
I'm out of town but when I'm home next week they wil have arrived I'll report back how they work

Aquattro
12-31-2015, 04:34 AM
Weird. I have all my original tunzes still working. I've only had one motor block and one driver box die out of the lot and they were a questionable setup when I bought them (modified or something). My wavebox is going on 8 years old.

Course now that I've said that they'll all die slowly over the next few months...

My original units, 6100 model, lasted about 8 years. But replacement parts didn't last, newer pumps didn't last, and the replacement cost was just too high to buy all new pumps. Even if Jebao die after a couple years, still the same cost over a 8 year period, without the initial outlay of cash.

christyf5
12-31-2015, 03:55 PM
My original units, 6100 model, lasted about 8 years. But replacement parts didn't last, newer pumps didn't last, and the replacement cost was just too high to buy all new pumps. Even if Jebao die after a couple years, still the same cost over a 8 year period, without the initial outlay of cash.

Yeah its unlikely that I'll stick with the tunze once these ones start to pack it in. I'll be switching to the most economical flavor-of-the-month ones.

Reefer Rob
12-31-2015, 04:15 PM
I emailed Tunze to ask why the titanium shaft in my 6105 corroded through. He said some of them accidentally got stainless shafts, but apparently they can be repaired. Still waiting to hear back from the Canadian distributor.

This is after the first two were replaced under warranty because the shafts came loose.

They say "made in Germany" but I'm not sure I believe it. My experience with German products is that they last forever.

BTW, I rebooted my Profilux last night, and the RW-15s have been running fine since.

spedly
12-31-2015, 04:27 PM
It's unfortunate that some of you are experiencing, or have experienced, issues with your Tunze streams. I use them exclusively in my tank and everything about them has been nothing short of amazing. At this point I wouldn't consider anything else.

Aquattro
12-31-2015, 04:30 PM
It's unfortunate that some of you are experiencing, or have experienced, issues with your Tunze streams. I use them exclusively in my tank and everything about them has been nothing short of amazing. At this point I wouldn't consider anything else.

Oh, agreed, great pumps. My first pair cost me $1000 and lasted 8 years. I just can't spend another grand to replace them, especially after seeing some of the smaller units fail under 2 year mark. The original WP series Jebao appear to be short lived, but the RW I have now just keep going.
I also can't replace the 6100 series Tunze, and I don't like the design as much of the newer units. So, for under $200, I got comparable flow and control.

spedly
12-31-2015, 06:27 PM
I also can't replace the 6100 series Tunze, and I don't like the design as much of the newer units. So, for under $200, I got comparable flow and control.

I here ya there. Is the Jebao as quiet? I've never actually seen Jebao in action.

Aquattro
12-31-2015, 06:42 PM
I here ya there. Is the Jebao as quiet? I've never actually seen Jebao in action.

If I had to pick the quieter, I'd go Jebao. That said, my Tunze were very old from my last memories, and don't recall them bothering me ever.

Tunze, at least the older ones, just moved left or right, where Jebao are a bit more flexible in positioning. That's an important piece for me.

e46er
12-31-2015, 07:33 PM
My Jabeo are quiet. The one hummed then I took it out of the water a few times now all 4 are very quiet. I have no personal exp. with tunze or vortechs since I couldn't afford/justify the initial purchase.
I've had 4 running since mid July or so and cleaned one the other 3 haven't been cleaned and still move lots of water.
They were ~$175 /pair for RW8s to the door.
I'm happy with them I just ordered 2 apex Jabeo modules so I don't have so many controller looking thing on the stand.