PDA

View Full Version : So who felt the earthquake?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-30-2015, 07:06 AM
Around 11:40 pm last night. We felt about 3-4 seconds of shaking here in Burnaby and friends in Surrey and as far away as Silver Lake, WA (south of Cultus Lake) felt it too.

Anthony

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-30-2015, 07:20 AM
Reported to be off coast of Sydney (Victoria) on Vancouver Island and only 4.3 to 5.1 on the Richter Scale. Shook 3 seconds or so. No reported damage or injuries reported on the News. No damage to power lines.

bsung413
12-30-2015, 08:48 AM
I think Victoria will probably felt the most shaking since it happened there.

New West 40
12-30-2015, 12:35 PM
yes in New West, felt to be longer than most

Reef Pilot
12-30-2015, 01:35 PM
I did, but until this morning on the news didn't realize it was an earthquake. I woke up to a couple loud bangs and thought someone was breaking into the house. There was no storm going on outside and couldn't figure out what made that noise. My wife didn't hear or feel it, and she just thought I was nuts and went back to sleep. I guess she just sleeps sounder than me. But I never felt any actual shaking, just the noise as I was waking up. So when I heard the news this morning, it all made sense. And I guess I am not nuts after all,...haha.

Aquattro
12-30-2015, 01:39 PM
I think Victoria will probably felt the most shaking since it happened there.

It was minor, really a non event. Rumbled for a couple seconds, that's it.

The Guy
12-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Woke my wife, but I never felt or heard anything.

Myka
12-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Nope, didn't feel it.

monocus
12-30-2015, 02:54 PM
fastest one ive ever been in,felt it for 1 second

Aquattro
12-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Nope, didn't feel it.

That's really surprising! It was about the same magnitude as a racoon knocking over my garbage can.

Dearth
12-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Never felt it but heard all about it ...news crews find the most interesting people to interview

Animal-Chin
12-30-2015, 03:52 PM
It was really strong in Maple Ridge. Jolted me out of bed. Pictures on the wall were banging, dogs barking, kids yelling. Was quite an event where I live. I hear everyone in the lower mainland felt it differently depending on what type of structure you were in and what kind of land you are on.

My first thought was "oh god, my tank" as I was sitting in bed wondering if it was going to ramp up or fade away...lol

Then the safety of my kids. That was a close second........well second anyway...:razz:

hillegom
12-30-2015, 04:40 PM
We were up watching TV here in Surrey
I thought some car ran into my house. Outside chimes were sounding, bells fell off the Christmas tree and an ornament fell off the wall.
Ran outside at the same time as my neighbour who thought someone had run into his house.
Tank is ok and no real damage to house I can see

rsisvixen
12-30-2015, 05:55 PM
It was really strong in Maple Ridge. Jolted me out of bed. Pictures on the wall were banging, dogs barking, kids yelling. Was quite an event where I live. I hear everyone in the lower mainland felt it differently depending on what type of structure you were in and what kind of land you are on.

Felt a brief quiver here, thought it was hubby moving around on the couch too much while we were watching TV lol. My cockatoo was not impressed, guess it woke him up, took awhile to calm him down.

Delphinus
12-30-2015, 06:54 PM
I didn't feel it at all.

:p

gmann
12-30-2015, 08:22 PM
i did...

i think its time to leave richmond and head for higher ground lol

Dearth
12-30-2015, 08:27 PM
Buy property up around Kamloops it will be ocean front property sooner or later 😎

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-30-2015, 08:56 PM
In case of a massive earthquake (ie. 8.0+ Richter scale), Richmond and all those other delta "lands" will disappear when the silt those buildings and infrastructure are built on will LIQUEFY (Google "Liquefaction) when the ground shakes and everything falls down and sinks. Better to buy on more solid ground. It's one reason I advised my parents against buying in Richmond and so we've always lived in Vancouver/Burnaby. Near Marine Drive and the Fraser River is still vulnerable but higher up the hill is considered to be at lower risk to liquefaction. In a major earthquake we would still be in danger, but hopefully our location mitigates some of that risk.

Anthony

rynoe
12-30-2015, 09:47 PM
My wife was not impressed when I ran down stairs past her and straight to the fish tank lol.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-30-2015, 10:22 PM
My wife was not impressed when I ran down stairs past her and straight to the fish tank lol.

As long as you didn't push her aside when you did it, she'll eventually forgive you (I think).:wink::twised:

straightrazorguy
12-30-2015, 11:00 PM
I'm surprised to hear all of you who said it was so brief. It was at least 15 seconds, in my opinion, here in New West. It started with some minor vertical shaking, then almost stopped and then the more intense phase shook my building sideways, and made things rattle. OK, it was minor, but way longer than 2-3 seconds. It could be due to the fact that I'm a little sensitive, as I've been in many, and much nastier earthquakes. Either way, when I felt the first tremor I panicked. Not because of the thought of dying, but because I feared the display tank may suffer...

Reef Pilot
12-31-2015, 05:43 PM
Just noticed today that my upstairs built in cabinet tank has shifted about 1/8" forward away from the wall. There is a noticeable gap at the back. So must have been quite the jolt from the earthquake to do that.

reeferious
01-02-2016, 09:17 AM
most of us know we're due for a big one but i don't think this is it so everybody don't let down your guards yet

The Guy
01-02-2016, 05:10 PM
most of us know we're due for a big one but i don't think this is it so everybody don't let down your guards yet

The thing is it might be today , next week, next month or years away so don't take up space in your brain worrying about it. As the saying goes "it is what it is" so just be prepared and don't sweat it worrying, there's more important things to concern yourself with like "reefing". :fish:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-02-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm surprised to hear all of you who said it was so brief. It was at least 15 seconds, in my opinion, here in New West. It started with some minor vertical shaking, then almost stopped and then the more intense phase shook my building sideways, and made things rattle. OK, it was minor, but way longer than 2-3 seconds.

Pssst. MOVE! If your building shook this much from a very minor tremor, you are probably in the Liquefaction zone and your building is on very unstable substrate, meaning in a big one, your building is at very high risk.