PDA

View Full Version : new basement tank plumbing

Karsten
12-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Hello All,

I have recently set up a new tank in the basement. I have never had a grade level tank before.

I am wondering where other people drain their tanks water during a water change?

I have always drained my tanks into a bathtub.

Is the floor drain by the furnace a possibility?

Vancouver Reefer
12-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Slowly pour a bucket of water down the drain and see if it drains. Thats where my system drain is plumbed to.

5gluder
12-30-2015, 04:18 PM
I ran a drain pipe from my display tank upstairs down to the floor drain in the basement, along with my water softener and furnace humidifier draining into the floor drain.

mseepman
12-30-2015, 05:06 PM
When I made my basement fish room I put three drains in the floor so that all areas of the room had ready access to drains. I flip a lever and the sump drains...another lever and my water storage drains.

riceboy
12-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Main drain is usually where the hot water tank is. I have my frag tank plumbed right to it for easy water change system and located my sump close to there for just incase my sump should overflow. Love it takes me 5 mins to do a water change. Just have to open 2 valves. Although I only change my water once every 2-3 months lol

Karsten
12-30-2015, 10:04 PM
main floor drain it is thank you!

smokinreefer
12-31-2015, 02:38 AM
Will there always be a drain near the hot water tank? Don't think I saw one at my folks place.

If not, is there any reason to not have a plumber tie into the main stack?

Sorry for the hijack, but kinda in topic...

WarDog
12-31-2015, 02:46 AM
Most newer construction will have a condensate drain near the water tank or furnace, but not always. More dependant on local code. Also depends on when the house was built.

To add a drain in that location is a nightmare. Jack hammer the concrete slab, excavate soil by hand. Locate existing plumbing, lay new drain on proper slope with a pee trap, fill with proper drainage rock, and repour concrete slab. Oh... and don't forget the permits and plumbing inspection. Enjoy.