PDA

View Full Version : looking to start a nano(newbie)

digitalsteve
10-22-2004, 05:08 AM
hey guys , i am looking at doing a nano tank. anywhere from 2.5- 7 gallon tank, a 2.5 would suit me better but i am concerned that i couldnt include fish, so i think the ideal would be a 5 gallon. can someone give me a list of what i need( and ideas of what product so i can get an idea of the cost associte to start) incl chemicals and such. if you could i would appreciate it greatly.

steve

soon to be a nano mano :biggrin:

muck
10-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Welcome Steve... :biggrin:

Im sure everyone here will be more than willing to help you out.

Quinn
10-22-2004, 08:58 AM
I would start here: http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/ :cool:

RobbAdams
10-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Do you have any experience with Marine Aquariums? If not I would suggest a bit larger tank to start with. I would say a 10 gallon would probably be the smallest you would want to go on you first forray. Also lighting for those little tanks require alot of DIY work to make things viable. heaters and powerheads Etc also are quite obtrusive in a tank that small.

Truthfully a 20 gallon standard glass aquarium would probably get you the best bang for your buck, and be much more forgiving for maintenance. a 24 inch 130 watt PC light is about $200 the tank can be had for almost free in the bargain finder. regular heaters will fit in these tanks, one bag of sand will cover the whole bottom, and you could actually keep a few small fish! I would not really feel comfortable with you keeping a fish in anything less than 10 gallons.

Please dont think I am comming down on you, this board is not like that, I just wanted to pass on what I have learned already. I have been practiceing marine for only 5 months now, and have made alot of the classic mistakes along the way. I am currently running a 28 gallon bow-front with 130 watt PC's, a CPR Bak-Pak skimmer. a ton of live rock and a couple of inches of very fine sand. Some people do run nanos skimmerless, but most of them do not keep fish. Besides I really only get around to doing a waterchange about once every 3 weeks or so :redface: , so a skimer has really helped me with my maintenance.

If you have any specific Nano Questions fire away in this thread, as I have spent entirely too much time on that nano reef websight for my marraige to be healthy :agrue:

Robb