PDA

View Full Version : puddy????

timmmmy55
12-23-2015, 07:08 PM
hey there, sorry for putting in the wrong post i think?
but i was wondering what is a good puddy to use to hold rocks together in a tank instead of buying the expencive stuff at the LPS?

thank you

Aquattro
12-23-2015, 07:10 PM
Putty, not puddy.

LPS is large polyp stony coral. You mean LFS :)

Really, not much. It's not that expensive for what you use, and other non purpose stuff can have metal shavings or other nasty stuff in it. I think JL is about $12/tube? Pretty cheap.

Or, some people prefer glue. Just regular gel crazy glue is fine. Dollar store stuff.

Aquattro
12-23-2015, 07:11 PM
and moved to correct forum

mike31154
12-23-2015, 07:44 PM
I use Elmer's Marine Epoxy Putty. Works fine & is dirt cheap at a local discount Mart. 2oz (57 gram) stick in plastic tube with blue packaging. 15 to 25 minute working time & cures in 60 minutes, even underwater.

Reef-Geek
12-23-2015, 08:34 PM
I use Elmer's Marine Epoxy Putty. Works fine & is dirt cheap at a local discount Mart. 2oz (57 gram) stick in plastic tube with blue packaging. 15 to 25 minute working time & cures in 60 minutes, even underwater.

How cheap? The one i found fron homehardware is $12.49, any where else sell it cheaper?

Aquattro
12-23-2015, 08:42 PM
This one is only $10.75 for 4oz

http://www.jlaquatics.com/holdfast-epoxy-stick-4-oz.html

hillegom
12-23-2015, 10:16 PM
This one is only $10.75 for 4oz

http://www.jlaquatics.com/holdfast-epoxy-stick-4-oz.html

Thats what I use as well.
Cut off a small piece, mix it up by kneading
I then put a drop of gel crazy glue on a rock, place the kneaded epoxy on, another drop of crazy glue, then the frag, and press together. Done
Cures under water

Aquattro
12-23-2015, 11:05 PM
Thats what I use as well.
Cut off a small piece, mix it up by kneading
I then put a drop of gel crazy glue on a rock, place the kneaded epoxy on, another drop of crazy glue, then the frag, and press together. Done
Cures under water

I do that minus the glue part. Never needed it.

hillegom
12-23-2015, 11:08 PM
I do that minus the glue part. Never needed it.

I found it worked better for me
But previous to me trying that, I was ok without it.

Aquattro
12-23-2015, 11:11 PM
The thing with putty is knowing it's not an adhesive. It doesn't stick to stuff. You wrap the base of the frag with it and jam it in a crevice. Or rough surface. It doesn't work well on smooth patches of rock.

mike31154
12-24-2015, 01:55 AM
How cheap? The one i found fron homehardware is $12.49, any where else sell it cheaper?

Well I reckon you'll need to brave the Coquihalla & make a trip to Vernon :x-mas:. The local Mart I referred to in my earlier post sells the stuff for $3 something, so <$4. Used to be the Welk Mart, but has changed ownership this year & has a new name, which escapes me at the moment. No matter, it's the same great little store downtown where you can spend hours in just looking at all the cool as well as tacky stuff they have. Between that place & Surplus Herby's (The Craziest Store In Town!) I can easily kill an afternoon or evening.

Look for the stuff in a discount or Dollar Store, the big box outlets like Home Hardware don't typically sell items like this at a high discount. Surely you have some nifty little corner discount stores somewhere in Burnaby??

EDIT: On the other hand..... seeing the post about the 4oz stick at J&L for $10.75, I guess it's best you don't slip & slide all over the highway to get to the Welk Mart here in Vernon, you get twice the amount for about the same money from J&L and they're right in your back yard in Burnaby.

jason604
12-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Does the hold fast epoxy make your skimmer go nuts?

Aquattro
12-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Does the hold fast epoxy make your skimmer go nuts?

I've never had a skimmer react to any putty. Thought people made that up :)