PDA

View Full Version : LF: Refractometer

Bamboo
12-23-2015, 07:27 AM
I'm new to the saltwater.
Would like to get a Refractometer if anyone is selling or know where I can get one for a reasonable price.
I live in Vancouver.
Thank you

Wheelman76
12-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Jl Aquatics would be a good place to pick one up , they're having a Boxing Day sale.

Bamboo
12-27-2015, 11:57 PM
Still looking
Wasn't much of a sale at JL on refractometer
Thank you

The Guy
12-28-2015, 06:32 AM
I'm new to the saltwater.
Would like to get a Refractometer if anyone is selling or know where I can get one for a reasonable price.
I live in Vancouver.
Thank you
Depends what you think is reasonable, a good Sybon is around the fifty dollar mark new give or take, check out King Ed's they are doing boxing day all week I'm told. I agree with Brad you may want to make sure your salinity is in the right range along with Ca, Alk and Mg before getting a RBTA.

darb
12-28-2015, 06:25 PM
If you don't want to spend alot of money then you have two options:

Buy a swing arm style hydrometer and J and L will confirm/calibrate it for you after you season it; they are known to be often miscalibrated.

Go old school and get the floating bulb type for around $10. J and L doesn't sell then anymore, you will have to go to the "other place" to get one.

The bulb style does the job fine. The latest, greatest and most expensive gadget isn't necessary the best way to spend money on everything in the hobby.

xenon
12-28-2015, 08:07 PM
We use the bulb style hydrometer made by Tropic Marin to calibrate our refractometer. :)