PDA

View Full Version : rio pumps/sumps

fishguyxd
10-21-2004, 09:35 PM
I really want to know if these pumps are any good I have been told they are alright and can take a bit of punishment (ie ingest a little sand no problem) where as if I get a mag 1200 or etc or supreme mag they use alot more power and are not as solid. I not sure who to trust anymore all I am trying to do is setup a system
and everybody (salesguys) say there equip. is the better. no surprise I relize but...I just don't want to have to buy one thing than another looking for some real opinions fron guys /gals using this stuff

Also is a refug just a feeding vessel not in any way help in filtering because I not sure what type of sump /refug to get .

Tarolisol
10-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Im not expert but with a refuge most people put different sorts of algea in it like calerpa. It helps in filteration in a big way. Also it can be a safe place for pods and other organisms to grow to feed your fish. Dont know much about the pumps but I have to mags and 7 and 18 that work well. Havent heard to many good things about rios.

LostMind
10-21-2004, 09:55 PM
I had a rio pump when I started. It died in less then a month. Blech.

I hear the new seios are good though

Quinn
10-21-2004, 10:55 PM
I have a Rio pump that's got to be at least half a decade old. When it doesn't work, I give it a good whack. However the old ones do overall have a fairly bad reputation.

Refugium: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/refugium.htm

danny zubot
10-22-2004, 03:04 PM
I have been singing the praises of the newer Rio HF pumps since I got mine, make sure its the HF line though because they are different from the older ones. I bought a Rio 20HF last spring and the only time it died was after I dumped a bunch of crushed doral on it by mistake. I simply cleaned it out and it has worked great ever since. They are quiet and reliable in my opinion. The 20HF is rated at 1250 gph at 1 foot, at 40 inches (for my tank) I still get about 1000 gph. What sold me on them is the price compared to equivilantly rated pumps.