PDA

View Full Version : Return section size

Christopher
12-20-2015, 04:50 PM
I'm currently designing a sump to build for my 180g over the holidays and I was wondering what size return chamber would be sufficient. I currently don't have an ato but I'm planning on picking one up before I install the sump.

In my design, I currently have it at L 6"x W 14"x H7" which would be about 2.5g. would that be good or should I make it bigger?

Geo
12-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Extra volume depends on how much back flows from your display when power is shut off.

Your tank is about 3.75 gals for every 1/2" of depth. How are your returns set up?

spit.fire
12-20-2015, 07:43 PM
what style drain are you using?

Christopher
12-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Extra volume depends on how much back flows from your display when power is shut off.

Your tank is about 3.75 gals for every 1/2" of depth. How are your returns set up?

I'm not worried about the back flow from the tank. My sump will be able to accommodate the extra water, plus the extra water from the ato resevoir if it malfunctions.
I'm trying to use the least amount of space for my return section. Since I'm implementing an ato system, but I still would like enough water so the return pump won't run dry for at least 16hrs if the ato fails to kick in.

what style drain are you using?

My tank has a single 2" durso