PDA

View Full Version : LED supplementing

chefpaakk
12-19-2015, 05:25 PM
I have been noticing a few of my corals turning white due to shadowing. Sadly the shadowing is happening on the side of the coral I look at everyday.

I currently run 2 radion gen 1's with the upgraded tir lenses. Am I just using the wrong schedule plan?

Should I be trying to find a way to add another light source? Or even just selling my radions and switching to t5 or mh?

If so what do you recommend? T5's? It cannot be a fixture that I have to hang and I have 30X30 cube, so there are many options out there that will fit the tank.

Thanks in advance.

duncangweller
12-19-2015, 06:25 PM
I have the same problem with LED lighting. I believe it's because it more of a point source/directional light meaning that the underside (unfortunately for me to, the side I look at) gets no light and goes pale.

T5 is a linear light, so it hits more of your rock work and corals. I have run t5 in the past and without starting another t5 vs LED poll, found that's coral colonies grew a lot more uniform and also the bottoms of colonies didn't die off as much as they got more light.

93 cube is a tough one to find t5 fixtures for. The ATI sunpower/powermodule in the 24" length seems to work, but your going to want an 8 bulb fixture so get ready with your $$$$.

chefpaakk
12-19-2015, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the info, what are you currently running on your tank?

chefpaakk
12-19-2015, 07:16 PM
What if I were to add this in between my 2 radions?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/dry-goods/aquarium-supplies/lighting-t5-pc/t5-light-fixtures/coralife-30-inch-aqualight-t5-ho-fixture-2-31w.html

Or maybe just across the front where the radions aren't hitting so well?

csaba911
12-20-2015, 10:52 PM
I had the vision when I purchased my LED light, the fact is someone suggested to buy more light than it's recommend, so I did. 5 120w light instead of 3 what would cover it very well. Also I'm running them at 50% power mixed and 75% on the blue.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/20/25bd965fd2fb8c1bd0e3c2755c23df60.jpg

chefpaakk
12-22-2015, 04:46 AM
So you are thinking I should just put on more lights?

duncangweller
12-22-2015, 05:38 AM
I think you'd have a hard time fitting a third radion on a cube tank.

Look up Ozarks Reef. He had one LED fixture over his 93 cube and the colours were amazing.

Remember as well, that when frags turn to colonies they will probably open up to the light and you will have a nice colourful Colony from all sides.