PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy T5 Lighting in Lower Mainland?

dirtyreefer
10-21-2004, 04:07 PM
I keep hearing about how great T5 lighting is for heat dissipation and was wondering where you can purchase these bulbs. I know J&L sells Ice Cap ballasts, but everything else I'm not sure of.

What does T5 mean? Is it a brand or a type of HO or VHO bulb? Can someone lead me in the right direction as I am upgrading my lighting and considering using T5 instead of MH (because of the heat issues).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Delphinus
10-21-2004, 05:28 PM
T5 refers to the tube. These are very narrow fluorescent tubes, about 1/2" diameter. T12 is the regular style that most people think of when they think fluorescent. T8's are somewhere in the middle.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
10-21-2004, 05:51 PM
call ryan at the denman pet gallery

albert_dao
10-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but does anyone have a contact (phone, website or email) for a quality T5 retailer/wholesaler taht will ship to Calgary?

IluvHockey
10-21-2004, 07:25 PM
I keep hearing about how great T5 lighting is for heat dissipation and was wondering where you can purchase these bulbs. I know J&L sells Ice Cap ballasts, but everything else I'm not sure of.

What does T5 mean? Is it a brand or a type of HO or VHO bulb? Can someone lead me in the right direction as I am upgrading my lighting and considering using T5 instead of MH (because of the heat issues).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

King Ed has the throw away type (Heilos) in stock, you have to ask for them or look very hard for them. That includes a built-in ballast. T5 are actually HO lights. If you are starting new it would be a good setup to combine these with metal halides. You could also check with jack from Ocean Aquatics I think they were looking to carry them soon.

dirtyreefer
10-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I also heard that the T5 bulbs have reflectors built into the actual bulb itself.

If this is true, then this must be a special type of bulb and not just regular NO bulbs? If so, does anyone know where I can find these?

Bob I
10-22-2004, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I also heard that the T5 bulbs have reflectors built into the actual bulb itself.

If this is true, then this must be a special type of bulb and not just regular NO bulbs? If so, does anyone know where I can find these?

No that is not true, but the Helios fixtures are complete ie, the bulb, reflector, and ballast are one unit. You can get them online from Stephane's mail order outfit (reefsolutions)
There currently is a thread on these in the DYI forum I believe. :mrgreen:

rayyue
10-22-2004, 02:52 AM
dirtyreefer

you can phone to coral ocean
colin (the owner) can order for you
i just bought a t5ho few days before
the phone no. is 604 733 1888
it is local on kingsway and boundary

reefhawk
10-22-2004, 06:03 AM
have a four fot t5 i am bringing to vancouver for the meeting on saturday want about 35.00 for it.

Bryan
10-22-2004, 06:48 AM
J & L Aquatics will be selling T5's in the near future.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Colin @ Coral Ocean is the only one I know of who currently sells replacement bulbs. King Ed's has throw-away 10,000K & Actinics. Colin has 6400K & 20,000K blues that are replaceable. Also, he can now order High Output T5s for about same price ($30+). I have 2 @ 2ft, 2 @3ft & 1 4ft 20,000K & the blue is really strong & beautiful.