PDA

View Full Version : T5 lighting for new reef?

sdeschutter
12-16-2015, 09:26 PM
Hey everyone it's been a little while since I've been on the site because I've been waiting for my tank to be up and running for about a year before I start adding SPS corals. I have a 90 gallon 48Lx 16W x 24H. And a 33 gallon sump. The tank has four fish in it, two clowns, one blue tang, and one six spot goby. Also a couple shrimp and of course a good cleanup crew. It also has about 100 pounds of live rock. I have a calcium reactor and a good skimmer, so I'm ready to go with SPS corals. There are two separate fixtures inside the canopy, one fixture is capable of four bulbs and the other fixture is capable of two bulbs. The two bulb fixture is at the front of the tank. The type of bulbs I have our 2 blue plus, 2 coral plus, 1 purple plus, and 1 aqua blue special. All of them are 54 W ATI bulbs. I know that most of it has to do with how you like the coloring in the tank, the type of corals you have, and where the corals are placed in the tank. I assume the coral plus are the ones that really do the growing of the corals. But being a newbie of reef aquarium's I'm not too sure about how each bulb works. My question is how should I arrange the lightbulbs in the two fixtures from front to back? Also how should I do the timers for both separate fixtures that are inside the canopy? I realize I may have to tinker with the set up as I go along but I'm just looking for a good starting point. Thank you in advance.

Aquattro
12-16-2015, 09:38 PM
Just mix them up :) Probably match front and back, or not. Time them to have 2 come on as dawn and dusk, the rest on for the normal lighting period. If you like that. Or all on and off at the same time. If that's ok with how you want to view it.
Just bulbs, all over the tank, don't over think it :)

Dearth
12-16-2015, 11:02 PM
As Brad said

Myka
12-16-2015, 11:30 PM
It's more about the fixtures than the bulbs. Since you already have both then just do it how you like it. I put the white bulbs in the middle and blue bulbs at the front and back to make the best use of the more powerful white bulbs.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

sdeschutter
12-22-2015, 12:29 AM
Thanks guys really appreciate the suggestions. I decided to have the the two bulb fixture on for 12 hrs with a white and blue and the four bulb fixture on for about 8 hrs with the other bulbs.