PDA

View Full Version : BAM!2 off my "I would beat up Carrot Top for" list

albert_dao
10-21-2004, 03:08 AM
I just picked up a melatremus moray and four vanderbilt chromis! Yay me!

http://cichlids.ca/images/gallery/Salt/Fish/GymnothoraxMelatremus.jpg

http://cichlids.ca/images/gallery/Salt/Fish/ChromisVanderbilt.jpg

Anyway, I have them in my sump right now. Put them in there to give me easy access to feeding away from a competitive main tank environment. Both are eating! Hopefully, these things go as long term as my clowns (cause it's either that, or I'm short a fair bit o' change)!

Coldwater
10-21-2004, 04:33 AM
I was thinking about buying one of those Morays and I had a question. Is it one of those really hard Morays to keep? Also what does it eat?

Matt

albert_dao
10-21-2004, 04:42 AM
From my research, no, they are considered ideal reef candidates in terms of both compatibility and ease of maintanance.

They have conical teeth and dietary analysis (according to Scott Micheals) consist of small crustaceans. I did a lot of searching on RC and found people had very mixed experiences with them and really small fish like firefish and neon gobies. Some individuals got along fine with tiny fish while others quickly turned themselves into unplanned expenses. I suspect size was a big factor, maybe even sex (snowflake eels apparently have slightly different tooth structures amongst the different ages and sexes, who knows?).

I got my eel eating within an hour of introduction using a feeding stick and a piece of shrimp.

I'll update as the week goes on.

Coldwater
10-21-2004, 04:49 AM
How much was your Eel?

Matt

monza
10-21-2004, 05:21 AM
I've had a couple and they are great! I think they make verygood save reef eels.

Dave

albert_dao
10-21-2004, 05:30 AM
How much was your Eel?

Matt

Hard to say, I got mine at cost. I'm betting we could retail them for roughly $75-$85 each.

Delphinus
10-21-2004, 02:56 PM
:cool: Sweet find on the eel. I've always wanted to try keeping one of those too.

Best of luck!

Buccaneer
10-22-2004, 12:06 AM
How much was your Eel?

Matt

Hard to say, I got mine at cost. I'm betting we could retail them for roughly $75-$85 each.

You will match J&L pricing for rock though wont you Albert ? ... at least you did for me a few years back when I was setting up my tank.

albert_dao
10-22-2004, 01:39 AM
How much was your Eel?

Matt

You will match J&L pricing for rock though wont you Albert ? ... at least you did for me a few years back when I was setting up my tank.

What is the price and item (locality)?

How much have you seen the eel go for? They packed it retarded for us this shipment. 7" Sharpie diameter eel in a MONSTER HUGE QUARTER BOX BAG!!! That did a lot to the cost.

Bob I
10-22-2004, 01:45 AM
What is a 7" Sharpie diameter eel :question: I would calculate a 7" diameter eel should be about six feet long. :eek: :razz:

albert_dao
10-22-2004, 01:47 AM
What is a 7" Sharpie diameter eel :question: I would calculate a 7" diameter eel should be about six feet long. :eek: :razz:

7" long and about the diameter of a sharpie pen. A thousand apologies for my poor sentence structure and puntuation Sensei.

haha

Buccaneer
10-22-2004, 05:04 AM
The original question by Moray guy was about eels ...

I was asking about rock ... when I setup my tank you matched J&L pricing at the time ... I have a friend setting up a big reef and was wondering if that price match was still in effect is all ... or does he have to mail-order that Figi rock from J&L ? :razz:

albert_dao
10-22-2004, 06:15 AM
The original question by Moray guy was about eels ...

I was asking about rock ... when I setup my tank you matched J&L pricing at the time ... I have a friend setting up a big reef and was wondering if that price match was still in effect is all ... or does he have to mail-order that Figi rock from J&L ? :razz:

haha, I'm pretty sure I addressed the rock. How much for what locality? If it's Fiji, it might be a bit of a wait til we can look at price matching since our next shipment is Indo. I was just curious as to what everyone has seen the eels going for out there. Sorry for the confusion. :cool:

Quinn
10-22-2004, 06:20 AM
While we're at it... the island is Fiji, not Figi. Sorry, been seeing that a lot lately. :razz:

albert_dao
10-22-2004, 06:29 AM
While we're at it... the island is Fiji, not Figi. Sorry, been seeing that a lot lately. :razz:

Haha, how does that quote go?

"Does anal retentive have a hyphen?"

:microwav: