PDA

View Full Version : 2 QUESTION ON THE 280 for the future.

Skimmerking
10-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Questions for you reef people.

On my 280 i had 2 holes drilled for my tank they are fitted with 1" bulk heads. How big can i go with them. What i'm trying to say is can i fit a bulkhead to fit 1.5 "to run 1.5 " pvc pipe.

or will i have to get the holes re drilled. they are in the corner. I wea thinking about it and may be it would be easier to block the holes and take out the overflows in the corners and have them drilled in the middle of the tank on the back and run them that way.

when the time comes.
QUESTION'''''''

How hard would it to be to take off the back piece of the tank and cut the tank down in width say go with 20" instead of 30 " would tha be a pain in the butt.

mike

Delphinus
10-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Well ... I don't know about removing a pane. I know pro tank builders do that sort of thing. When I tried it once on a 20g it was pretty much a disaster, I couldn't cut the silicone at all and ended up having to use a hammer to remove the pane that was coming off. So it can be done, just not by me apparently :lol:

Depends on the size of the holes you have drilled, but if they're 1" sched-40 bulkheads they're probably 1 - 3/4" diameter. Unfortunately with that size hole you don't have a lot of move up room. You'd probably even not be able to get sched-80 bulkheads in there.

You could use 1.5" piping and just use bushings on the bulkheads. The bulkheads will restrict the flow a little, but it wouldn't be as bad as say using 1" piping all the way.

You could try drilling the holes out larger ... that is probably not too hard assuming you have access to cutting tools. Jayson probably has everything you need assuming your tank is in Manitoba ....

Or you could go with all new holes, and either silicone a patch over the holes for the 1" or just get a threaded PVC plug and cap them off .. or use them for some other thing (a closed loop or something .. ?)

Anyhow hope there are some ideas in there to help you think about it ...

mr_alberta
10-20-2004, 11:24 PM
If the holes are there already and you want to go bigger, then why don't you just grind the holes until they fit the next size bulkhead? A dremel and a green grinding stone should do the trick. However, if you are widening the holes, I would make sure you still leave adequate space between the two holes in the overflow. Wouldn't want them to crack there and have to two holes combine to make one HUGE hole.