PDA

View Full Version : Rock Flower Anemones - where to put them?

GoFish
12-11-2015, 11:06 PM
Got a few Rock flowers in the last couple weeks. Just wondering if they sting or can be stung by other stuff in a mixed reef tank. One just sat on a mushroom, I should move it?

Thanks in advance

Dearth
12-12-2015, 12:46 AM
No matter where you place them if they ain't happy like all anemone they will move whether you want them to or not. With that being said most rock flowers like a light to moderate flow over them and depending how finicky they are will either like lots of light or next to no light.

I had a rock flower that would move every few months until it found my powerhead and became chopped rock flower :cry:

hfp75
12-12-2015, 03:47 AM
No matter where you place them if they ain't happy like all anemone they will move whether you want them to or not. With that being said most rock flowers like a light to moderate flow over them and depending how finicky they are will either like lots of light or next to no light.

I had a rock flower that would move every few months until it found my powerhead and became chopped rock flower :cry:

How'd your tank due with after the rfa got blended??? Sometimes that can crash a tank - or so I've heard....

Dearth
12-12-2015, 04:33 AM
How'd your tank due with after the rfa got blended??? Sometimes that can crash a tank - or so I've heard....

Yup I had a partial tank crash after the rock flower got blended up the good news is that it was in a 33 gallon tank so after 3 50% water changes in 4 days my tank was good. It was both a blessing and a curse that I had a small tank a blessing because was very easy to do water changes quickly and it was a curse because such a small tank things happen fast it was just fortunate I was home when it happened if I hadn't been home I would of been starting over from scratch

Ryanerickson
12-12-2015, 05:59 AM
I have 20+ rock flowers in medium flow and directly under a ai vega, tank is only 10" deep light is 4" above I've also seen them directly under halide in frag tank with no problems. All mine love light plus flow and lots of food.
Current pic of rock flower tank
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/ryan_erickson/5318FA09-6496-4F26-B275-286C55AB4AB6_zpsjlojp8r9.jpg
Currently I have had 2 females release 10+ babies each in the last 6 months or so. When I get new ones I put in a low flow area with small rocks to attach to rock then move where I want it for the most part it works but some do move. Rock flowers and euphyllia don't get along, rock flowers die. most other thing are fine and are fine right up next to each other. I think there great for a mixed reef

GoFish
12-12-2015, 03:50 PM
That sucks but good thing you were home. What kind of powerhead?
I don't think they will squeeze much of themselves through the RW-4, fingers crossed anyway. I wouldn't have put another type of nem in this small of a tank with so much stuff but I heard they basically didn't move, so much for that haha

I have 20+ rock flowers in medium flow and directly under a ai vega, tank is only 10" deep light is 4" above I've also seen them directly under halide in frag tank with no problems. All mine love light plus flow and lots of food.
Currently I have had 2 females release 10+ babies each in the last 6 months or so. When I get new ones I put in a low flow area with small rocks to attach to rock then move where I want it for the most part it works but some do move. Rock flowers and euphyllia don't get along, rock flowers die. most other thing are fine and are fine right up next to each other. I think there great for a mixed reef
Looking good!
Ok thanks, I don't keep euphyllia in general for size and stinging reasons... It turns out that the RFA didn't like where I placed it, or sitting on a mushroom so it moved to the bottom side of a rock. So pulled out rock, removed them all and repositioned on the bottom instead. They're housed with zoas, a chalice, a plate coral, a couple SPS and kinds of shrooms. They stayed put overnight.
How often and what do you feed? And if you have any for sale let me know, I could fit one or two more

Ryanerickson
12-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Mysis and fuana marine lps pellets is what I feed.

shiftline
12-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Mine moved to a hole in the rock a day or two after I added it and been happy ever since