PDA

View Full Version : The Battle Of The Dinos!!!!

04V10
12-11-2015, 02:18 AM
Well, I've been trying to get rid of these things for a while in my office 10 gallon. It all started when I first got the tank and brought in some live rock. I started the cycle on the tank like I did with my 20 gallon hoping for good things. 5 weeks in, I had dinos like crazy. I never had my lights on, but it was going nuts. All stringy and floating around the tank. At this time, the cycle was done, so I didn't want to get rid of the rock. So I did a few things to try and combat this, multiple water changes, as I never had anything in the tank other than the rocks and sand. I also did a blackout period for 2 weeks! I did water changes as well within those weeks. It seemed to subside and look like I had won. So, I added 2 hermits, an acan colony, and 2 zoa colonies. Next thing you know, the frickin dinos are making a comeback.

I did more water changes religiously on the tank and never fed a thing. I did put the lights on (LEDs). Things seemed to just kind of hang in there, and the zoas haven't really grown much at all, but the acans seem to be growing nicely. One thing I did notice, no algae what soever.....

Though, I have gotten fed up with them. I want the tank to thrive. The tank has been online for 2 years, and I have tons of pods and other life forms cruising around, but I want this gross garbage gone. So I've gotten drastic....

On Monday, I added more carbon and a chemi pure elite bag (was just running carbon in my hob filter), and started to elevate the pH on the tank. I am doing a water change tomorrow, so I'm going to check the magnesium, elevate it if it is low, check the alk, increase that if it is low, increase the pH to where I want it (heard it helped battle this crap), and then do another blackout period until Tuesday, then do a water change, then do another blackout until next Friday.

I'm gonna win this battle as lots of people love the tank, but I don't want to lose the nice rock and the inhabitants that I do have. The acans have also secured all of my rock together now...lol

Any advice would be great guys!!!!

xenon
12-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Have you tried Dino-X by Fauna Marin?

That stuff works wonders!!!

http://www.canadacorals.com/products/fauna-marin-ultra-algae-x

04V10
12-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Well geez. Would you look at that...lol. I did some searching online, and lots of threads never even mentioned this, but did mention the former algae X, though some people said it didn't work for them... Looks like I'll be ordering a bottle up!

04V10
12-11-2015, 01:46 PM
And now I see all the good reviews...lol

Proteus
12-11-2015, 02:10 PM
When I dealt with mine this fall I cut lights down to blue only and shortened the light on time, skimmed wet and dosed peroxide. Took about 3 days to rid the tank. Though I kept the program ongoing for 10 days and worked well