PDA

View Full Version : Magical Farming Peppermint Shrimp....?

ReefGrrl
12-05-2015, 11:29 PM
So I freaked when I suddenly noticed aiptasia EVERYWHERE but especially, right in the middle of various zoa colonies. The zoas were staying closed and revealing the infestation. I admit, I took the long tweezers to a couple of them, trying to grind them out of existence but the effect was, as numerous articles had warned, that they spread faster.

After doing ridiculous amounts of reading, trying (and failing - I'm in southern Ontario) to source the right type of nudibranches, and fretting as I watched the spread of the scourge, I finally decided to take a chance on some peppermint shrimp. It was the right decision. Within two weeks, as everyone said would happen, most of the aiptasia were obliterated. I got four shrimp, and though one disappeared within a few days the other three went to work.

But here's the thing. There is one, single individual aiptasia remaining in the upper back corner of the tank on the very top shelf of that rock structure. It's not huge, maybe about 2cm across the oral disc, but the tentacles are quite long and they still are irritating the zoa colony in that area. I have seen peppermint shrimp right beside it, ripping at tiny snack-sized babies, but not touching the larger one. There were other aiptasia that were bigger, that disappeared.

Could it be that these peppermint shrimp are.....farmers? Are they leaving one aiptasia to spread and replenish their buffet, I wonder? I have not seen any of the pesky things anywhere else in the tank, and I'm constantly searching.

Whatever, the word that comes to mind considering the great cleanup job they did, is magical. I was apprehensive, but they worked.

Now I just need to maybe pop that frag plug off and move that zoa colony somewhere else where they won't be constantly stung.

So if anyone is wondering whether to use peppermint shrimp for aiptasia control, it gets my vote.

AquaAddict
12-05-2015, 11:51 PM
I used Peppermint Shrimp to get rid of my Aptasia several years ago. They have never come back - so far - knock on wood!

AquaAddict

gregzz4
12-06-2015, 02:03 AM
Could it be that the one pest you are looking at is not aiptasia?
Is it possible it's a mojano? Or some other critter?

ReefGrrl
12-06-2015, 02:13 AM
I never thought of that.

I'll try to get a good photo tomorrow, in the light, but I can't think of what else it might be. Doesn't look like any majano I've seen in pictures. It's that bleh tan colour, featureless face, very long tentacles in relation to the size of the disc.

I'll post a picture tomorrow - see what you think.

ReefGrrl
12-07-2015, 04:31 AM
This is the best I could do....I really do think it's aiptasia. You can see the irritated zoas nearby. Anyway, if this one doesn't disappear in the next week or so, I think I'll try and remove the zoas and put them elsewhere.

gregzz4
12-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Yep it kind a looks like aptasia
Maybe it is just too big for the shrimps to handle
You could try injecting it was some lemon juice during the day