PDA

View Full Version : upgrading from RKL to Apex worth it?

e46er
11-30-2015, 03:11 AM
I currently have a RKL with 2 PC4 power bars. one outlet doesnt work and seems the slightest touch to the cable at the head unit and it loses its connection. I have it in a place it really doesnt happen often unless I bump the couch.

I like the idea of having it availble on a computer and for WC being able to just hit an app and have all the outlets labelled what they are to shut off as opposed to jsut numbers in a small screen.

currently JL has a black friday sale which ends tomorrow at noon.

the head unit (standard grade) package is $600 plus tax

8 outlets is working fine for me. although 8 more to control my mixing station would probably be in the future over just a regular powerbar but thats later on.

i have 2- 1.1ml/min pump for my cal/alk and a 50 ml/min for top off running off the controller but it would be nice to have a float switch warning with an alarm to my phone. can I turn stuff on/off through the phone app? or jsut a computer?
i would think in the near future the apex auto feeder would be considered as well. I currently have an ehiem one which works great but the time wonders so currently I dont bother setting my RKL to shut off my powerheads whereas if the same timer controlled both it wouldnt matter if it wondered a bit.

basically I have a controller that works fine for the most part but its 'starting' to have issues, and the last thing i want is a dosing pump or top off pump to not get shut off but im not sure if the replays fail off or on normally?. So is this a worthy upgrade or shouldnt I jsut ride out the RKL until it dies???

e46er
11-30-2015, 03:22 AM
one thing im currently worried about is on the JL or DA website it says for pumps with such a small draw to plug them into mechancial relays and the EB8 only has 2....... i dont want my cal or alk or top off to start running but not shut off......... are the solid state replays in the apex much better than in the DA?
i guess worst case is i could plug a spare heater into an extension cord and plug that into a solid state relay to make sure it hass enough current to shut off not optimal but an option

Aquattro
11-30-2015, 03:42 AM
I haven't had any issues with the outlets not shutting off when they're supposed to

e46er
11-30-2015, 03:56 AM
the dosing pumps in the solid state relays?

Aquattro
11-30-2015, 04:06 AM
I don't run dosing pumps, but I've had low voltage in each type, and no issues.

e46er
11-30-2015, 04:12 AM
good to know. thanks !

now since my router is the complete opposite end of my house it poses a small problem

neptune says people have success with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KPBRRW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003KPBRRW&linkCode=as2&tag=gplustofishta-20 but its like $115 on amazon.ca
could i use this one instead?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KPBRRW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003KPBRRW&linkCode=as2&tag=gplustofishta-20

or I have a mac mini acorss the room from my tank that is wireless can I plug into that? i would be able to run an ethernet cable (not easily) but doable.

Aquattro
11-30-2015, 04:13 AM
Mine is close so hard wired. I've never set it up wireless, sorry :)

e46er
11-30-2015, 04:30 AM
ok thanks!

WarDog
11-30-2015, 04:49 AM
The Apex has to be connected via an Ethernet cable, either directly to your router, or to a wireless gaming module like the WNCE2001 in your link. I got mine from NCIX in Coquitlam. You can also try Best Buy.

Took a while to get it to work, but then I had no problems, other than the odd disconnection. Unfortunately my router crapped out recently and I bought a new one. Haven't been able to reconnect the Apex wirelessly since. Currently running the Ethernet cable across the house... until the wife starts complaining and I need to try to connect it again.

The best solution is to hard wire the connection. If you could do it, it would be worth the effort.

...and to those who are reading this and planning a reno or new home build, make sure you have an Ethernet wall plug next to your tank or in your fish room.

e46er
11-30-2015, 04:54 AM
i coud only hard wire it to a wireless computer. that involves 2 holes in the house 35' soffit coming down so prabably 30-35 pieces @ 15 feet long and 20 joists to drill.

WarDog
11-30-2015, 04:54 AM
EDIT: I also wanted to add that Neptune Systems REALLY needs to get cracking on their own WiFi module that is plug and play. Connecting an Apex system to your home WiFi network should be as easy as your cell phone. Even if it were $200 I would buy one in a heartbeat.

WarDog
11-30-2015, 05:03 AM
i coud only hard wire it to a wireless computer. that involves 2 holes in the house 35' soffit coming down so prabably 30-35 pieces @ 15 feet long and 20 joists to drill.

I honestly don't know if wiring it to a wireless computer would work. As far as I know, it would need to go directly to your router.

If you have a viable route (T-bar ceiling in basement, easy soffit run) I would highly recommend this. You don't yet know how difficult it is to get the Apex working wirelessly.

e46er
11-30-2015, 05:06 AM
haha oh no that was jsut to a wireless computer.
the router is the complete opposite end of the 3000 sqft house.
this is not a big selling feature at all

WarDog
11-30-2015, 05:14 AM
haha oh no that was jsut to a wireless computer.
the router is the complete opposite end of the 3000 sqft house.
this is not a big selling feature at all

Ah.

There are these things which are fairly new. HERE. (http://www.ncix.com/detail/tp-link-tl-pa8010p-kit-av1200-gigabit-55-114957-1259.htm) You plug the Ethernet into them and they use the homes 110V wiring as a cable. Seems like sorcery to me.

But I would shoot off an Email to Neptune and ask if they think they could work.

The Apex is an amazing Controller, it just sucks they are so hard to connect wirelessly.

hfp75
11-30-2015, 11:40 AM
For the longest time I was using a dlink dap-1522 bridge. Worked pretty good, like once a month I'd need to reset it. It basically grabs the wifi signal and supplies physical rj45 plugs. Simulates a hard line with a shared wifi bottleneck + wifi interference - instability.

In my house I now use powerline eithernet. It's pretty good, but it also has limitations. I find it more reliable for maintaining the connection, but the interference within the house wire really slows it down. Now, for the standard apex it would be fine - just don't hookup a camera to it. There might not be enough avail bandwidth for video/frequent pics. Powerline eithernet needs to be on the same side (pole) of the main power box & you won't know until you plug it all in, unless you remember how you wired your house. Mine is slow cause it's on different poles through the main power box. (An electrician could explain this better). I think for me it could work better if I plugged it into different plugs in the house - I only need a small amount of bandwidth though and don't care how many errors the powerline eithernet has to figure out.

Just remember there is nothing like a cat5e/cat6 cable for speed and reliability. It can be rather unsightly though if it's not in the walls. It's your choice.....

If you can't run cable, I'd use powerline eithernet, failing that I'd run a bridge.

To answer your question, if it's worth it, my apex is fantastic and I'm looking for another. I've never used a RKL.

e46er
11-30-2015, 01:59 PM
Ah.

There are these things which are fairly new. HERE. (http://www.ncix.com/detail/tp-link-tl-pa8010p-kit-av1200-gigabit-55-114957-1259.htm) You plug the Ethernet into them and they use the homes 110V wiring as a cable. Seems like sorcery to me.

sounds like witchcraft to me as well.

For the longest time I was using a dlink dap-1522 bridge. Worked pretty good, like once a month I'd need to reset it. It basically grabs the wifi signal and supplies physical rj45 plugs. Simulates a hard line with a shared wifi bottleneck + wifi interference - instability.

In my house I now use powerline eithernet. It's pretty good, but it also has limitations. I find it more reliable for maintaining the connection, but the interference within the house wire really slows it down. Now, for the standard apex it would be fine - just don't hookup a camera to it. There might not be enough avail bandwidth for video/frequent pics. Powerline eithernet needs to be on the same side (pole) of the main power box & you won't know until you plug it all in, unless you remember how you wired your house. Mine is slow cause it's on different poles through the main power box. (An electrician could explain this better). I think for me it could work better if I plugged it into different plugs in the house - I only need a small amount of bandwidth though and don't care how many errors the powerline eithernet has to figure out.

Just remember there is nothing like a cat5e/cat6 cable for speed and reliability. It can be rather unsightly though if it's not in the walls. It's your choice.....

If you can't run cable, I'd use powerline eithernet, failing that I'd run a bridge.

To answer your question, if it's worth it, my apex is fantastic and I'm looking for another. I've never used a RKL.

to be completely honest the entire reason im even contemplating switching is because I have a 2 week holiday planned over xmas and my only reefing friend who used to live 4 min down the street would swing by and check up on things every 3-4 days for me if i was out of town but this summer he moved about 40 min away, so if something was wrong and an apex would be able to tell me via email. I could get him to swing by and fix it , but every couple days to check isnt gonna happen.

hfp75
11-30-2015, 03:08 PM
sounds like witchcraft to me as well.

That is what I was referring to with Powerline eithernet....

e46er
11-30-2015, 04:03 PM
That is what I was referring to with Powerline eithernet....

I knew that's what you were referring too but it still sounds like witchcraft.
Cheers for the replies guys!

e46er
11-30-2015, 07:11 PM
I ordered it......

e46er
12-01-2015, 05:11 AM
what a complete POS this thing is to try and set up.

i have 2 wireless mac computers both of which you cant update firmware so i cant get my fusion token FML
of course the only hardwired computer in the house is a POS windows ancient thing. AHHHHHH

e46er
12-02-2015, 01:59 AM
So i ended up moving my mac mini and hardwiring it to set up the fusion account. my wireless thing is ment to show up tomorrow so I can start programming this thing to do what I want.
they seriously need a better way to set this up. a wireless module would cost peanuts and i bet 50% of people would buy them. or since one of the biggest selling features is the wireless capabilities it should be included. for a regular price of $750 thats a big disappointment. Im sure the control abilities of it will be worth it.

gregzz4
12-02-2015, 02:28 AM
It's waaaay too late for me to chime in here as you've already bought a new unit, but you asked whether it's worth switching ...
Most peeps I've seen write about them love their Apex units, but there are many complaints about programming/connectivity etc.

I run a RKE and it gives me enough controllability. Hundreds of modules, very easy to program, less cost.

Some like DA for what hardware they connect, and the same goes for Apex.

Hope you sort out your issues, or trade it in for something else before you go grey :smile: